Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
1. Don't be intimidated by math. It's only logic.

2. Avail yourself of the opportunity to talk to like-minded people, especially in college.

3. Communicate your own thoughts to professors and mentors effectively. Follow through on "Aha!" moments.

4. Avoid leaving academia, unless you're interested in a high-demand field like IT or programming. Your social skills are gonna suck dickmonkeys relative to everybody else's, and the "real world" isn't a meritocracy; it's a nepotocracy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avoid leaving academia, unless you're interested in a high-demand field like IT or programming. Your social skills are gonna suck dickmonkeys relative to everybody else's, and the "real world" isn't a meritocracy; it's a nepotocracy.
Man, so true! I have been thinking about that so much... I made the mistake to choose a career that involves lots of social skills and now I feel like I'm behind everybody.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Get used to people not understanding wtf you're talking about half the time.

9,999 Posts
It goes in the other way.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
- we live in a plutocracy. wealth determines livelihood and family circumstances.

- listen to ALL tool albums.

- life imitates art

- what you describe of the world tells us more about you, than the world

- focus on a passion, it’s worth it. utility of pursuits are not everything. grear careers have been made out of hobbies

- engage in business, it’s so damn easy and helps you in the corporate world

- start programming using JavaScript. It’s gonna be very useful

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Cultivate a cautious innocence. No matter how intelligent you think you are you don't know how the story ends.
No matter how intelligent you think you are,you're not above behaving like those you look down on, given the right circumstances.
Nihilism isn't the end, it's the beginning of self-liberation.
Unrealized potential is just as worthless as having no potential at all, if anything it's even worse because of the wastefulness of it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not an INTP, but as someone who dated a young INTP and then eventually married that person: Let the person you like know you like them by communicating your feelings with them...with real words and facial expressions. Basically, let those you care about know you care and not just in an INTP way by asking tons of questions or showing interest in the other person's interests, but also in words of affection, touch, communicating how you feel.

True story: We dated, then he coldly said he was moving away and that was that, by his words and actions I thought he broke up with me. YEARS later turns out he didn't mean it to be a break up but because I responded with "I guess that's it" (based off what he was saying) he figured I had made up my mind and broken up with him. Lots of heartache and confusion and years later, we got back together (after he started telling me about his feelings and really becoming vulnerable) and now are married with a family etc. Don't be us. Save yourself and your future love interest lots of heartache by making your heart and mind more vulnerable, communicating your feelings (no matter how clumsy) and allowing someone in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would tell them,

Don't let the temptations of nihilism deceive you: There is no end to that abyss, and further you go down the harder it is to climb back out. The people who try to sell nihilism to you are not your friends or, at the very least, have been deceived themselves. There is meaning to be found in life, not all of it lost to time. By exposing yourself to an ever-widening array of perspectives it becomes much easier to find where you truly stand, and, as a consequence, discover who you really are and who you are meant to become.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If possible, learn how to cook while living with whoever is taking care of you.
If you're in a discussion with someone and they start name-calling or similar, just leave. Most of the time they're not interested in the discussion and only want to lash out.
You're most likely not as alone as you think you are. There are people who can relate to you, and there is often a spider near you.
Read up on the things that scare you. Either it's not as scary as you thought, or you have a good reason to be scared. (It's different if it's anxiety or a phobia though)

If you get a billion ideas but rarely have the motivation to finish them; instead of starting and then abandoning it, keep a journal and write down some ideas. Don't write out every detail, just some of the basics and some of the most interesting details. If you're bored, take a look at the journal and flesh out some ideas or maybe even start a new project. It sounds super simple, and that's because it is, but sometimes it works. And sometimes that's enough to keep you from spending money on something you'll never finish. And sometimes... it's just another idea and you end up never actually using the journal. Oh well :tongue:

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,601 Posts
It's going to be okay and get better. If you're scared, unhappy, or stressed, for whatever reason, figure out the cause quickly, make a game plan and just do it. Not everything deserves all of your time and attention to analyze. You may need to be patient, but you can fix this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts