Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't suppose there is much, as compared to other types ---- the breaking point for Fe users is pretty high, I suppose [at least mine is]. My mom has a pretty high breaking point --- she loses her cool and raves for about 5-10 minutes, but then is perfectly fine within 2-3 minutes after. The longest I've seen her upset is a day.

What pisses you off - and what's your rage like?

EDIT: I'd like to add another question to the above:

Have you ever done anything to harm yourself [physically] in your rage?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm not sure if I've ever felt rage. I've been quite angry before, but I don't recall ever having "snapped" in my life. Yelling and hitting isn't my thing, though there have been many times when I've wished the object of my anger was nearby so that I could administer a forceful backhand. Being small, I don't have a lot of brute strength to count on, so when someone pisses me off, I'll usually depend on my large vocabulary and my insight. I can get pretty venomous, though I refuse to take cheap shots - I'll only call them out on that which is true, and often angrily point out the hidden motivations behind what they're saying/doing.

What'll set me off? Badmouthing my friends/family in front of me, trying to insult me or someone I care about simply for one's own personal pleasure. That will get me angry enough to the point where my hands start to shake and my eye contact doesn't budge. If someone I love has angered me (which rarely happens), I'm more likely to be a bit more constructive. I've taken to saying, "I love you, but I am REALLY pissed at you right now" and then taking some time to go for a run and clear my head. It's only because I care for and respect the person I'm angry with, and I care enough about my relationship with them to cool down and discuss things rationally after awhile rather than get into a huge fight in which one or both of us could say something we regret.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I build it up and store it in me so it's rare that i get pissed, maybe severely irritated. But however when someone tries to fight me despite my wishes not to and after i've snapped then i put all of that rage into it and that becomes a very dangerous situation ^^.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My rage comes out when I'm driving, or when shit just piles up. Like I'll find out they cut the water to my dorm, then i'l drive to the squadron and forget my CAC, then run into someone I dislike as im trying to leave to get my CAC, then I'll sit at the intersection for 15 mins waiting to pull out, etc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My rage is low and cold but it lasts forever. It never really goes away. The breaking point is very high but once it has been hit it will not come back. I'm rarely forgiving. It takes a whole lot to make it up. I don't really trust much of anyone and I believe people change so rarely that it is negligible.

I will never yell, or rage, or kick things. I guess the worst that would happen is being cut from my life and condemned with words, but if I felt like I needed to go on a crusade to destroy someone, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And the anger would give me plenty of will power to go about the task.

The good news is, the only way to bring this about is to directly step on someone else's rights and refuse to hear reason. And even this has to be a pretty high trespass. I will be bluntly honest about my judgements about someone else's life but it would take a lot to make it more than a serious annoyance. The only thing I can think of that makes me angry enough to set about destroying people is the compulsory school system in America.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When my "J" side was strongest, I used to get pissed off when things didn't go the way I planned or dealing with unscheduled and wishy washy people. Now as I get older, my J is becoming more P and I get pissed off when I feel boxed in by people who are closed minded. I also hate to be stifled creatively and ultimately get pissed when I go for a long period with no personal growth (that's always been the case).

When I was kid I used to get mad at myself for being so freaking sensitive. I consider that a battle between my dominant choleric temperament with my secondary Melancholy temperament.

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
Rage mode isn't likely to end well with me. At that point, I could give a fuck less about other peoples feelings and will say whatever I know will hurt the most. I also will not regret it after. I will also word things in a way that is hard for others to grasp because I'm too angry to 'translate'. I have hurt myself in a fit of rage on multiple occasions, but only one person caused it. My ex used to make me so angry. One time we were at the store and began having an argument. I do not argue in public, it has formed crowds in the past. So I left and he got angry when I wouldn't slow down (it was easy for him to catch up, I have short legs and three of my steps are one of his). He catches up, we keep arguing and it gets to the point where he's so angry he just runs off. I can't catch up and became so enraged that he just left, I scratched my own arm really bad. Still have the scars and it was over a year ago. Another time we were arguing and I punched the wall really hard and hurt my hand. Didn't break it, but couldn't use it for a week.

I've also physically assaulted him on many occasions, but I never kicked him in the balls on purpose or hit him in the face. None of it caused serious damaged, but one time we were arguing and he got in my face while I was sitting in a chair. I was cornered and immediately attacked (he had slammed his hands down on the chair arms) and clawed the fuck out of him. He never hit me, though. I'm also not usually violent with others unless they ask. ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
What pisses me off... well, what pisses me of the most in terms of frequency rather than intensity is not being allowed to withdraw.

You don't do that with me. That's where my PTSD kicks in overtime. My rage is cold. I emotionally detach completely.

And then I get personal. Every flaw. Every weakness. Every trigger. Ever shameful thought. Every dumb idea, every logical fallacy, ever word said is ripped to shreds and all of it I will use it against whomever it is that pushed me that far. I will do my best to hammer them down into nothing. Into submission. To make them cry. To cause hurt. To cause shame and humiliation. And they're helpless in this onslaught, my mind freed of emotion is so crystal clear. Nothing touches me. Nothing phases me. In my last relationship, this kind of exchange eventually lasted up to around about six hours, and was a frequent recurrence. Two sides waging thermonuclear war. I always broke in the end. Without exception. I never won a single argument, a single fight, in the entire duration of that relationship. I was dealing with a mentally ill person. Getting through was never even a possibility.

So, I'm primed for a cold fusion meltdown by my experiences.

I've worked on it a lot. I've gotten a lot better at not allowing myself to get into that head-space, but it's important to allow me to walk away. To allow me to withdraw.

Edit: And yes, sort of. I did hurt myself by breaking my hand against someones face. He deserved it. Not so sure I did :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
When I'm angry at someone, they better step away before I get the chance to hurt them...

I broke a few pencils in my hand at once and they made me bleed.

I don't get THAT angry very easily, but I do have a red-head temper.

When I get angry.... HULK, SMASH!!! XD

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I don't suppose there is much, as compared to other types ---- the breaking point for Fe users is pretty high, I suppose [at least mine is]. My mom has a pretty high breaking point --- she loses her cool and raves for about 5-10 minutes, but then is perfectly fine within 2-3 minutes after. The longest I've seen her upset is a day.

EDIT: I'd like to add another question to the above:

What angers me most: Lying, bragging, arrogance, unkindness/cruelty, and selfishness.

My rage tends to be very verbal and aggressive, but not physically violent and usually not screaming. Sometimes I stomp off. Some things (like what I mentioned) make me rage quickly, but in other cases it takes a lot of mistreatment or annoyances over time before I rage.

Sometimes when raging or upset I have scratches myself up pretty badly, leaving sores.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There are many things that pisses me off. My rage is kind of like a bomb going off and I tend to be harsh and loud. I kind of had a talk about what pisses me off with my ISFJ mother, there are things that we agree on that definitely pisses us off, especially the kinds of things that my ESTP father does.

There was one instance that I recall where I was in an argument with my dad about driving. I think it was around 2008 or 2009 and I really did not like the idea of driving, just the thoughts of ending up in a car crash or getting lost (I know, how can I get lost on a tiny island?). It was a school day, I remember and my dad wanted me to drive us to school. I refused to the point where if I was the one driving, I rather not go to school. My parents were frustrated with me, telling me to hurry up and get into the driver's seat. At this point I was crying, feeling angry and frustrated and my dad was like, "If you don't go now, I'm going to hit you" (Close enough). I taunted him while crying, being hit was better than driving and I hoped that by him hitting me, he would finally let the discussion drop. But he didn't hit me, he kept saying that he will, but he didn't. And when he didn't, I snapped. I grabbed a wooden backscratcher near me on the dinner table and began whacking away at my hand, trying to break it so I wouldn't be able to drive. I was willing to do anything to not drive at that point. I watched as my parents shook their head and saying, "You're weird." I kept on hitting my arm until it was numb. I saw the time and I felt gulity that me and my siblings would be late to school, so I stopped hitting myself and gave in and drove. On the way to school, with me in the driver's seat, I looked down at my arm and saw a purple/blue bruise where I had hit myself.

Yeah, a weird tantrum moment there. . . This was before I had treatment for my depression and anxiety problems. =/

·
MOTM October 2013
6,443 Posts
Low and simmering, or hot and fiery. The second one it's as if someone turned on a high-pressure faucet, and I'm filled with hot energy, and I shake holding it in. If someone gives me a reason to let loose (which could just be a friend offering to listen to my rants), it comes out in a flood that takes a long time to stop.

The other comes out as a trickle, and I swing back and forth between trying to make amends with the person who made me angry and hating their guts. It comes out when I have no idea what to do and think my own anger is unjustified. It takes a lot longer to get rid of, too, because I feel like I have no safe way to let it out, so it just sits inside until the situation that's bothering me changes of its own accord. Not a good way to go.

What makes me angry? People hurting others, or me. I want to rise up and smite them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i rarely express rage but when i do look out! people just recoil in shock while jaws drop LOL

many things piss me off but not many inspire rage luckily....but the good part is ONCE ive screamed and so on i feel purged, its been expressed, and then i can start to get over it.....but its like a volcano....dormant is just the default mode LOL

have smashed a phone once, made a scene in a restaurant once (when younger wouldnt do that now LOL)

i feel totally out of control though and not even aware of what words are pouring out until afterwards....i even can fantasise about literally smashing someones face in when i feel mad enough (but never would in reality)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've broken my right hand twice. The first time, I was about 12 or 13 maybe. About a mile away from my parents house, behind what used to be a golf course, but is now a neighborhood, my three brothers and I built bike trails. Dirt jumps and stuff. We used to race bmx bikes. Anyways, I ended up punching my handlebars because I just fixed my bike. It had a flat I ran over something again. Stupid right? haha I didn't think I hit it very hard, but, I must have hit it just right. I wasn't even that mad. haha There was even a pad on it. haha Oops. The second time, I punched a phonebook like 5 or 6 times. Shattered it up pretty good. So, I have stopped punching hard objects. With me though, I'll be quiet for as long as I can, once I can't take anymore, I'll let it out. And it's not pretty. haha But, it takes a lot to get me to that point. I try to let a lot of stuff roll off my back.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts

1 - 20 of 80 Posts