Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna know what grinds my gears?

People who can't act professionally at work, and undermine my own efforts to be professional.
Facebook.
The lack of universal health insurance in the USA.
Extremist right wing-nuts.
Extreme liberals.
Animal abusers.
Walmart.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
People who can't or wont differentiate between opinion and fact.
The spread of misinformation.
Social engineering.. There is nothing worse than debating with someone who only knows the headlines. They can never actually say why.
People who impose their morality onto others.
Public holidays.. You are being fleeced by engineered guilt.
People who say "we" "us" and so forth when discussing typology.. Please do not speak for me.

That's all for now.

·
Banned
162 Posts
- materialism
- houston
- conflict
- cruelty
- the people that took advantage of my kindness.
- repeating myself, maybe i wasn't 'assertive' enough, but clearly you were not listening.
- being asked if i'm okay.
- being asked what i am doing with my life.
- basically being asked any question about me that really has nothing to do with the kind of person i am.
- having my beliefs discredited, when i took someone else's into account and never judged them (do this enough and trust me you will regret it) for theirs even though i thought their take was interesting doesn't mean i didn't think it was bullshit. it's not being fake it's being civil. disagree with me all you want, but do not make me feel like a fool for having my own beliefs.
- mankinds need to poke, prod and dissect nature and manipulate it. STOP FUCKING WITH IT!
- the fact that we are dependent on technology because, mankind decided to poke, prod and dissect nature.
- the fact that i am a hypocrite typing this stuff up :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a hard time thinking about much that really gets under my skin. There seems to be an endless amount of absurdity in the world that could very easily upset anybody when their attention is drawn to it long enough. How are we to choose which wins the prize of being our select pet peeves? There's far more out there than we could ever hope to possibly feel genuine indignation over.

I try to keep it down to people that give great challenge to the general well-being and happiness of myself and those closest to me. It just seems like wasted effort to go much past that.

I do enjoy hearing how others feel a great deal though. So I do appreciate the thread.

Wanna know what grinds my gears?

People who can't act professionally at work, and undermine my own efforts to be professional.
Facebook.
The lack of universal health insurance in the USA.
Extremist right wing-nuts.
Extreme liberals.
Animal abusers.
Walmart.
Beast, you listed one selection that is personal, about your work (which would bother me as well), three political items, two big business items, and then one group of violence. This just tickled me, because I could understand people leaving the more tragic violent acts off of their lists entirely just because it could go without saying that they all bother us all (except for the creepies), but to include just one in a list that makes it stick out like a sore thumb just tickles me. I'd guess that you're just an animal lover, but even so, it still looks weird.

What else that is strange is that it seems to be accepted that this is the most troubling violent act. For instance, in television and movies, we will frequently come across rape, murder, child abuse/molestation, hate crimes, justin bieber concerts, bigotry, but animal abuse is a true rarity. IIRC, they went so far as to show a pregnant woman being beaten and killed, but not so much as a dog being kicked. Even more than that, Tony Soprano had an entire storyline going about his affection for ducks.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Beast, you listed one selection that is personal, about your work (which would bother me as well), three political items, two big business items, and then one group of violence. This just tickled me, because I could understand people leaving the more tragic violent acts off of their lists entirely just because it could go without saying that they all bother us all (except for the creepies), but to include just one in a list that makes it stick out like a sore thumb just tickles me. I'd guess that you're just an animal lover, but even so, it still looks weird.
I think it's like when you see someone picking on anyone who can't defend themselves as well - a lot of animals that are abused are weaker and smaller than the abusers. Plus, it seems even worse humans are attacking innocent creatures who never did them any harm and who have been forced to share this horrific society created by humans. It's the same for me with child abuse: that child can't defend itself and it didn't choose to be with whoever's abusing it. It's that horrendous sadism that some people have towards creatures weaker than them. It's revolting.

So yeah, that's on my list.

Others:

Thoughtlessness
People making my loved ones sad/hurt
Elements of modern society and culture
Life's lack of equality
etc.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a hard time thinking about much that really gets under my skin. There seems to be an endless amount of absurdity in the world that could very easily upset anybody when their attention is drawn to it long enough. How are we to choose which wins the prize of being our select pet peeves? There's far more out there than we could ever hope to possibly feel genuine indignation over.

I try to keep it down to people that give great challenge to the general well-being and happiness of myself and those closest to me. It just seems like wasted effort to go much past that.

I do enjoy hearing how others feel a great deal though. So I do appreciate the thread.

What else that is strange is that it seems to be accepted that this is the most troubling violent act. For instance, in television and movies, we will frequently come across rape, murder, child abuse/molestation, hate crimes, justin bieber concerts, bigotry, but animal abuse is a true rarity. IIRC, they went so far as to show a pregnant woman being beaten and killed, but not so much as a dog being kicked. Even more than that, Tony Soprano had an entire storyline going about his affection for ducks.
I've seen people literally punch their dogs in the face, it is very personal. I honestly didnt think through that list very carefully, I just put down things that sparked anger in me. Working at Olive Garden, and still putting down Walmart - a big corporation- doesnt mean anything Im just trying to make a living as a college student. Just the way it is. I dont see how it looks weird, there are all kinds of violence out there and some bothers me more than others, but if you're saying that any violence would normally bother any person than I suppose I can make that leap of faith. But in a more worldly perspective, it's nothing to take too seriously :)

I think what you're saying is that we must choose which battles to fight?? If so, I agree completely!!!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
This shit pisses me off.

Aside from that, Uh. . . stupid people.
Unfair shit
and bullshit
People who ruin cookies with raisins

Those all piss me off

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
- Bullying
- Political correctness, especially when it takes the form of blatant racism against whites (people actually see this as a virtue sometimes, like somehow racism perpetuated against blacks can be undone by white self-hatred and crazy 'black power' organizations)
- Lil' Wayne's voice
- My own stupidity at times
- Anti-Israel people
- People who call me a 'traitor to my race' because I'm almost exclusively attracted to brown/black women
- People who treat relationships like a disposable product
- The cultural confusion between lust and love

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
-People who think they're intellectual and participate in all kinds of "intellectual" activities in order to be seen as intellectual.

-People who use obscure words when talking to you in order to sound intellectual. The whole point of communicating is so I can understand what the heck you're saying! I don't have time to consult my dictionary while I'm talking to you.

-People who belittle others to build themselves up. Get off your high horse. What's that? You won't? Then allow me to knock you off of it you smug, insignificant speck of nothing!

-People who butt into other people's business.

-Obnoxious people who think they're funny. Here's a hint - you're not.

-People who have a victim mentality.

-People who whine about everything.

-People who know and admit they're assholes but continue being so.

-People who say they should change and know they should change but don't.

-People who take insignificant things way too seriously.

-Anal people.

-People who say "we think" when referring to them and their partner but it's obvious that what they're saying are just their own darn thoughts.

-People who take practically everything and everyone in their life for granted but never learn not to.

-Snobs. Oh I'm sorry, is that not good enough for you? I don't give a crap.

-People who think it's their job in life to correct others.

-Jokes at other people's expense.

-Dairy

·
Banned
327 Posts
-Ignorance
-Close-mindedness
-Selfishness
-Bullying
-People with no concern for others
-Jokes that aren't tasteful (there is a line.)
-When my food touches
-When there's way too much going on
-When people don't respect each others' boundaries
-Feminists
-The Republican party's stances on almost everything.
-Rick Perry (but he also amuses me.)
-People who don't respect religious boundaries
-People who think you have to share every one of their opinions to get along
-Most pop music

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I would say 'everything', but that's too broad. Believe it or not, there are things that don't piss me off.

Conversely, if I tried to make a list of everything that did, I wouldn't be able to come up with it all. It's a long list.

·
Registered
571 Posts
  • People who wear sunglasses indoors. No, you don't look cool. Take them off.
  • The sensation of biting ice and other cold, hard foods.
  • How it's trendy to hate Justin Bieber.
  • Feet.
  • Pseudo-intellectualism and blatant pedanticism. And hypocri-- OH WAI
  • People who yell at other people to be tolerant. Am I the only one who catches the irony?
  • The workers at kiosks in malls, all of whom are a bunch of predatory sharks. For the third time, I don't want to try this new herbal lotion.
  • That sad feeling of opening up the fridge and finding nothing to eat.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
-Arrogance
-Selfishness
-People who are quick to judge others and make assumptions
-Closed-minded to new ideas
-Dishonesty
-People who write me (and other people) off as stupid or naive due to our beliefs
-Rudeness
-Abuse of the environment, animals, or people

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
People?

lol :p

Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Here is a story that sent me through the roof: A little girl (maybe 3 to 3 1/2 yrs. old) is sitting in the seat of a grocery cart staring at her mother not saying a word. Mother is screaming, "How come you smooshed the bread? All I did was ask you to hold it! And, what do you? You smoosh it up! Why did you do that?" The mother repeated the first question a few times. I wanted to say, "Woman use your brain! She didn't do it on purpose, because she is a young child. And how can she answer you when you are so angry that you scare her silent! And by the way, what would you have her say? She really isn't capable of understanding why she smooshed the bread." I don't understand how this can teach a child how not to smoosh bread. What lies beneath this is that so many parents don't teach their children very well. Then they expect them to grow up being respectful, balanced, good, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts