Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... there's a theory that your sleeping position has something to do with your personality. :shocked:
(What does your sleep position reveal about your personality? | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine)

Fetus position - A whopping 41% of participants sleep in this curled-up manner. Women are twice as likely to rest like this and it is listed as the most common position. These sleepers are said to have a tough exterior but are still sensitive and may appear to be shy but warm up quickly.
Log position - If you sleep on your side with both arms down, you are a social, easy-going person who is trusting, sometimes to the point of being gullible. The study showed 15% of people sleep like a log.
Yearner position - A close third is the side-lying position with both arms out in front of the body, with 13% of partipants sleeping like this. Yearners are noted to be open-minded and still cynical, suspicious, and stubborn about sticking to decisions once they are made.
Soldier position - These sleepers lie on their backs with arms down and kept close to the body. This 8% study is said to be reserved, quiet, without fuss, and hold themselves and others to a high standard. Soldier sleepers have a higher likelihood for snoring due to the flat-back position, which may not cause them to wake up often but may result in a less restful night's sleep.
Freefall position - Those people who lie on their bellies with arms under or wrapped around a pillow with head turned to the side, make up 7% of the population studied. Freefallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism.
Starfish position - Sleepers who lie on their backs with arms up near their head or the pillow account for 5% of participants. These people are good listeners, helpful, and are uncomfortable being the center of attention. People who sleep in starfish position are more likely to snore and to suffer from a poor night's sleep more often.
Product Clothing Design Uniform Outerwear

How do you sleep at night?
I personally a a free-faller.

·
Registered
318 Posts
sometimes fetus, but most of the time freefaller. I wouldn't say I have a tough exterior, but I do have to warm up to people. I am also neither brash(most of the time) or outgoing. Bad with criticism? -maybe maybe not.

Reactions: _Jagodei_

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think fetus position most closely matches how I sleep. I can be quite strange about sleeping. I often feel the need to face away from the wall, looking towards the door. If I face away from the door, I get this creepy feeling that something is watching me. It can get quite uncomfortable, because I stay in the same position all night.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
I would think Soldier really, I tend to sleep pretty still on my back and hands on my sides. I might move about and lay on my stomach while im still awake trying to get to sleep but I always fall asleep on my back and I only move about a lot if im really tired.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Preferably door closed. I like to separate my self in my own little world.

Reactions: _Jagodei_

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I switch between fetus (when I have the room to spare), yearner, freefaller, and starfish positioning. I always had a feeling that sleeping position said something about a person, er, yeah, I can generally relate to the postures listed.

If I face away from the door, I get this creepy feeling that something is watching me. It can get quite uncomfortable, because I stay in the same position all night.
I've had the eerie as fuck feeling of waking up during R.E.M sleep and feeling watched. It's excruciating because I almost feel paralyzed and any muscle movement requires excessive will, though when this happens I am close to petrified of moving.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I switch between fetus (when I have the room to spare), yearner, freefaller, and starfish positioning. I always had a feeling that sleeping position said something about a person, er, yeah, I can generally relate to the postures listed.

@Luke If I face away from the door, I get this creepy feeling that something is watching me. It can get quite uncomfortable, because I stay in the same position all night.
I've had the eerie as fuck feeling of waking up during R.E.M sleep and feeling watched. It's excruciating because I almost feel paralyzed and any muscle movement requires excessive will, though when this happens I am usually hesitant to move in the first place.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Freefall or fetus -- or, quite frequently, I almost kind of kneel (like with my legs tucked up under me) and rest my head on two or three pillows. Really like a combination of the other two, then -- curled up like the fetus position but on my stomach like the freefall. A little weird maybe, haha.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I've had the eerie as fuck feeling of waking up during R.E.M sleep and feeling watched. It's excruciating because I almost feel paralyzed and any muscle movement requires excessive will, though when this happens I am close to petrified of moving.
I know that feeling. I kind of feel like if I stay perfectly still then nothing will hurt me.

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
Right side then left side and must have a body pillow. If I'm at a hotel and no body pillow, I'll cross my arms and hug myself. My arms must do something while I sleep so they get crossed in front of me.

Not me in pic but nice body pillow!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, I think its nonsense to match your sleeping position with personality. But for me I am for sure not a soldier nor starfish. I am unable to fall asleep on my backs. I am also not Log.

I mostly sleep as Freefaller, Yearner or Foetus. But who knows. Maybe I just fall asleep like that and than I walk all night sleepwalking around town completely naked just to end up in bed in slobber position.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
Fetus / Freefaller

I think fetus position most closely matches how I sleep. I can be quite strange about sleeping. I often feel the need to face away from the wall, looking towards the door. If I face away from the door, I get this creepy feeling that something is watching me. It can get quite uncomfortable, because I stay in the same position all night.
I'm not sure of the validity of this statement, considering it was from a bit in the Big Bang Theory (Sheldon said it :p), but it basically asserts that humans prefer to stay asleep with their head as far away from the door as possible, and it's a primal response to danger from caveman days (it'd take longer for an attacker to reach your head). Might also explain why people prefer to face the door when they sleep...

·
Registered
4 Posts
A yearning starfish.

I do find it odd that the only sleep position offered with bent legs is the fetal position. I always have one leg straight and one leg bent over a pillow. Clearly, I sleep wrong.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts