Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stereotypes aside, cause that's all it seems to be. Seems if you're unconventional or just basically are somebody that remotely uses your brain that's what's interpreted as being an intuitive. I see intuitives talk about sensors (SJs especially) as if they don't think, just do. Seems like a straw-man cause I'm just not seeing it 99% of the time.

Also I don't understand this supposed S/N divide, it doesn't seem anymore prominent than any other dichotomy. But people will go so far as to say that INTJ is more similar to ENFP than ISTJ cause they're both Ns.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,510 Posts
I'm not going into another S/N debate (It's probably going to happen anyways).

But to answer you. The MBTI itself is a very iNtuitve thing. For starters it's a theory but it was also created by intuitives (or so I hear). It's something that's much more discussed on the internet than in everyday life. So it seems that the majority of MBTI enthusiasts are indeed intuitives and just like when you get any minority group, they start bonding, tooting their own horns and lashing out at the majority that never understood them.

I'm not accusing every intuitive of doing that, mature ones see the merit of sensing and don't consider themselves any better than their S counterparts. But there definitely shades of these behaviors here and there.

And yes, I believe that some S types are more similar to N types with similar functional makeup as opposed to others Ss with very different functions. An ESFJ for instance is highly likely to relate better to an ENFJ than to an ISTP, duh! So yeah, I don't understand why the barrier between S and N is practically the Crips vs. Bloods of MBTI.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Intuitives are the kind of people that focus more on ideas and deeper meanings. As a result the details often escape them. They are more likely agree to go to lunch with you and hang up before deciding on a time or place.

Sensors are the kind of people who focus more on what is. They don't really focus on or care as much about the deeper meaning (or lack there of) behind things. Typically they aren't going to be looking for how all the dots connect. They are just going to be focusing on the dots themselves.

They both use their brains. It's just that they focus on two different things. The "divide" is just miscommunication because of this and isn't really as prevalent as it sounds. It's more of an issue with strong N and strong S types who aren't aware of the difference between them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read a study which I can't seem to find right now that said that all 8 N-types had higher average IQ's than all 8 S-types. I really do think that the N/S divide is the most important (for personality in general) and that the E/I divide is the least important.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can relate to this question as I basically have both as I only have a very little 3% preference on S over N though on MBTI scale, I'm still technically an ISTJ which means while I'm a S by default but I can also switch back & forth from being a S to N & vice versa whenever the situation calls upon it. In my experience, normally (in S mode) I don't believe in things which I either don't see nor experience but sometimes situations call upon me that I need to think outside the box (in N mode) in order to create designs or to solve complex problems.

S types are generally left-brained who sees things as they are while N types are more right-brained who sees things way deeper than what meets the eye. At work, S types excel at anything that relates to using the senses to gather facts or figures such as sales, accounting, management, military, police officers, farmers, admin work while N types fare better in marketing, inventing, engineering, design, art & anything that relates to generating deeper meaning and thinking outside the box.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
IMO difference is non existent, created, artificial.

Most hilarious is when N types that have auxiliary N get on their high horse, their N and S are so closely intertwined you practically can't separate them, yet, we see them time and time again spouting off complete and utter horseshit.

Any type can think outside the damn box.
Any type can see the "bigger picture" - ask these muthafuckers what the "big picture" is exactly and they can't even articulate their thoughts anyway because they don't actually get it, they're liars. Frauds.

I know some "sensors" who are far more intuitive in the general sense of the word than I am.

Anyway.

No difference. It's made up. Fallacy. Crock of shit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO difference is non existent, created, artificial.

Most hilarious is when N types that have auxiliary N get on their high horse, their N and S are so closely intertwined you practically can't separate them, yet, we see them time and time again spouting off complete and utter horseshit.

Any type can think outside the damn box.
Any type can see the "bigger picture" - ask these muthafuckers what the "big picture" is exactly and they can't even articulate their thoughts anyway because they don't actually get it, they're liars. Frauds.

I know some "sensors" who are far more intuitive in the general sense of the word than I am.

Anyway.

No difference. It's made up. Fallacy. Crock of shit.
The MBTI-egalitarian has spoken.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
Also I don't understand this supposed S/N divide, it doesn't seem anymore prominent than any other dichotomy. But people will go so far as to say that INTJ is more similar to ENFP than ISTJ cause they're both Ns.
Sensors, (wisely), will select Orange bell peppers, olive oil, and hummus over any other food, Intuitive idiots, not so much.

Although, wise intuitives will pick Linux™ over Microsoft™ Winduhs' system(s), and Sensors™ loonies not so much.

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Turi Yeah I get what you mean lol. I'm an ISTP and dominant Ti makes me think outside the box and it makes me very analytical. I look more N like than alot of Ns. People seem to ignore functions when talking about the N/S divide. I mean NTJs have strong Te which is concrete, evidence-based and pragmatic. Aren't these words to describe sensing? Je seems to fit sensing and Ji seems to be more in line with intuition if we're being honest.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w9 so/sx
200 Posts
If you've been shit at everything in life besides your favorite classes in school and your personal art projects you won't like to admit that you're just bad at being a person. Another option is to cling to an idea of being distinctive.

Reactions: Verizzles and Turi

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@drengskapr You're bad at analogies. I don't see why intelligence would have mostly to do with recognizing patterns and things of that nature that is geared more towards intuition. Like if INTx types are so smart why do they lack basic social skills? And why is defining intelligence by good social skills any less valid than defining it by something as obscure as pattern recognition and abstract reasoning?

·
Registered
25 Posts
@drengskapr You're bad at analogies. I don't see why intelligence would have mostly to do with recognizing patterns and things of that nature that is geared more towards intuition. Like if INTx types are so smart why do they lack basic social skills? And why is defining intelligence by good social skills any less valid than defining it by something as obscure as pattern recognition and abstract reasoning?
I know that my analogy is lacking, I tried to be funny. However, IQ is interesting because it correlates strongly with real life outcomes such as income, mental health, physical health, marital status and the likelihood of being convicted for a crime. IQ says alot more than a sesnor thinks when he sees those rotating cubes and circles in flashy colours.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm gonna address this according to the function theory, because like most people I think after researching the functions you come to understand that MBTI is like a simplified theory that bases itselfs on the functions but saves you from the important details to truly understand people and personalities and instead provides you with general descriptions you can use on literally every person. The big stereotypes come from it, people who don't understand typology, psychology and don't respect it thrive on it because it is so fun and easy to put people into the most general catagories so we won't need to go through the process of actually understanding a person. Even if you learn the functions you'll understand that they are only a small skeleton frame (that also changes with time) and how each person exists in it varies quite differently and to truly understand a person you'll have to do the crazy thing of TALKING with them, BEING with them and then maybe finally feelers will stop "feeling" that thinkers don't have feelings and thinkers will stop "thinking" that feelers don't think.

Now about the difference between N/S, well first of all not only do I think there's a big difference between Ni/Ne and Si/Se I also think that there's a big difference between Ni & Ne and between Si & Se themselves. Let's take the stereotypes we give to each function and understand where it's coming from and reveal it in a more correct manner:

Ni - Can predict the future.
Ne - Creative, thinks out of the box.
Si - Sticks to traditions, can't think out of the box.
Se - Shallow, impulsive, Chad & Ashley.

Ni: What Ni does the way I see it is focus on ONE thing at a time but sees as many angles and other things connected to it as possible, this leads to being able to come up with a lot of scenerios and possibilities regarding anything, while Ni is very centerd around TRYING to predict the future, it doesn't mean at all that it can do it all the time correctly, actually it is wrong most of the time. The secret that Ni dom users don't tell you as to why it seems like they're always right and can "predict" the future is that WE DON'T CLAIM WHAT WE DON'T KNOW. We are dead scared of the unknown, we don't think about what we don't know, and we don't try to predict what we know we can't. Ni likes to understand anything to the core as much as possible, so it will mostly try to avoid taking a stance or an opinion about anything that they don't know enough about. I think the stereotype comes from how the Ni is constantly asking: "What will happen?" so yeah of course they'd be good at speculating about the future, they're constantly busy with it. No one talks about the suffering that they exprience from it though.

Ne: Well according to our society, thinking about as many ideas that are original or at least ideas that aren't being thought much about is called creativity. Whether you agree with that or not, that's what most people think that creativity is. People who can brainstorm are seen as creative, people who say things most people don't say are seen as creative etc. The Ne function focuses on a similar question to Ni but actually quite different which is: "What could happen?", Ne doesn't like to focus on one idea and it's many angles but jump from one idea to another, creating a wide spectrum of ideas. So yeah, according to society Ne doms are creative. But calling Ne just creative is insulting it, any perceiving function can generate ideas and theories, Ne just tends to do it more freely.

Si: I'll be honest this function is hard for me to understand, but the way I see it the stereotype is half-right. Si is focused on familiarity which makes them seem as closed-minded, can't think out of the box and sticks to traditions. If i understand it correctly Si users start this way but come to realize like most people that they don't like something about the world, and so they go on a quest of trying to beat their fears and using their inferior Ne to pave a path into life that will give them the security and stracture they look for but a stracture that doesn't make them suffer. It might be hard to crack through Si's tough shell, but let me tell you that they deffently have their unique opinions, and they become an unstoppable weapon when they can manifest on their new ideas and manage to implemant them into a realistic and well planned system.

Se: Se is focused on the concrete objects and the world infront of it, this is where the shallow stereotype comes from. There's nothing, absolutley nothing shallow about being able to connect to life in the most genuine way. All the brainwashed N users will say that Se doms are shallow, don't think, don't respect life's deep meaning, when in reality those N users are dying to be able to exprience what Se doms exprience. That "deep" thing is a source to so much suffering, depression, anxiety and ultimatley suicide. Se is not only deep but it is also extreamly smart and truthful to life. The stereotype comes because Se likes less to focus on connections and underlying meaning, but it's a key word: "underlying", because it deffently focus on the meaning that is right there infront of all of us, which many people can't see (including myself) and won't see for the entirety of their lives.

I'd like to sum it up with mentioning that everyone need to remember that INFJs USE Se and have it. and ESTPs USE Ni and have it. All the types use N, S, T & F. Our role as a person is to go deeper into the function stack and learn to correctly control all of our functions, so for example if you ask me, the INFJ becomes the "deepest" (god I hate that word) when it can be fine with not being deep at all.

I hope I helped anyone understand something, and if there's anything you'd like to fix or add please do because I rumbled for quite some time and may have lost my mind a little while writing this :)

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@drengskapr Point? So do a lot of arbitrary things. Such as height, ethnicity, gender, how you were raised, etc. And you're making it seem like "intelligence" is highly correlated to success when it's not. Pretty much anything you choose to define as intelligence will breed different results among people.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@drengskapr Point? So do a lot of arbitrary things. Such as height, ethnicity, gender, how you were raised, etc. And you're making it seem like "intelligence" is highly correlated to success when it's not. Pretty much anything you choose to define as intelligence will breed different results among people.
It depends on how you define success. If you define it as having a good income, good mental & physical health, good relationships and not being a criminal then it is highly correlated with IQ.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts