1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Reactions: NFPWannabe

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm personally not a big fan of religion due to the organized and ritualistic structure. I was brought up Muslim, then became Atheist, then a Christan. Today you could say that I'm simply spiritual.

Just searching for the truth and what resonates with me the most.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was born and raised Jewish, and I still practice it. Specifically, I follow Chabad-Lubavitch (Hasidic) Judaism ideologically, though I don't observe 100% of the traditions they do (modest dress, fully kosher, etc).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I was raised catholic, but then I dropped religion because I didn't like its structure (that and I was 8 at the time. There were also tons of reports on priests molesting kids.)

Then in some history classes in middle school I found out that people from different religions often had wars with one another for believing in a different god(s) and/or goddesses.

THEN I found out some religious scripture often contained what seemed to be a lot of metaphors that, in my opinion, people may have taken too literally.

THEN I found 4chan, saw some of the stuff posted there, and started to lose faith in anything religious.

THEN I found out that people who argue like that exist in real life where they constantly say you're wrong about your religion and even though "their god loves all" you're going to go to some horrible place full of fire, hatred, and never-ending suffering.

THEN I found out there are some extremists who do still attack others for not believing in their faith.

THEN I found George Carlin who made fun of it all and got paid for it.

THEN I found out that because of some extremists of one faith across an ocean attacked some people other religions here started to hate on that one faith.

By that point I considered these "Holy teachings" to be desecrated by human selfishness and lost faith in anything religious because of this very corruption. What would I consider myself now? Human.

No I don't do drugs. No I don't drink. Last semester my lowest grade is a B+ and I aced all of my final exams, so don't try pinning anything like that on me. Yes, people have tried before and yes that is why I ended what probably would have been a post people thumbed, commented positively on, or ignored with a defensive statement.

On a final note I am not saying religion is wrong. I'm saying people letting their selfish intentions get in the way and treating one another like assholes ruined the fun of it for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was raised catholic, but then I dropped religion because I didn't like its structure (that and I was 8 at the time. There were also tons of reports on priests molesting kids.)

Then in some history classes in middle school I found out that people from different religions often had wars with one another for believing in a different god(s) and/or goddesses.

THEN I found out some religious scripture often contained what seemed to be a lot of metaphors that, in my opinion, people may have taken too literally.

THEN I found 4chan, saw some of the stuff posted there, and started to lose faith in anything religious.

THEN I found out that people who argue like that exist in real life where they constantly say you're wrong about your religion and even though "their god loves all" you're going to go to some horrible place full of fire, hatred, and never-ending suffering.

THEN I found out there are some extremists who do still attack others for not believing in their faith.

THEN I found out that because of some extremists of one faith across an ocean attacked some people other religions here started to hate on that one faith.

By that point I considered these "Holy teachings" to be desecrated by human selfishness and lost faith in anything religious because of this very corruption. What would I consider myself now? Human.

No I don't do drugs. No I don't drink. Last semester my lowest grade is a B+ and I aced all of my final exams, so don't try pinning anything like that on me. Yes, people have tried before and yes that is why I ended what probably would have been a post people thumbed, commented positively on, or ignored with a defensive statement.

On a final note I am not saying religion is wrong. I'm saying people letting their selfish intentions get in the way and treating one another like assholes ruined the fun of it for me.
Religion tends to be tied to a particular culture to where it simply turns into a way of life. People within that culture aren't exposed to another, so they only are able to see from their own perspectives. As a result, they feel as if their right and there is no computerize between that and another culture cause it feels so right to them.

I think it takes one to look at things from all angles to come to a conclusion such as you did, and even me. I understand that it can be very hard to break free and change ones core values but at times it must be done in order to grow and become a better person.

This is just my opinion and the way I see things. Not trying to offend anyone. I love you all :)

·
Registered
57 Posts

You chronicled how you arrived where you're at quite well, no need to defend yourself, you think and question things, which is good. Anyone trying to discredit your views by accusing you of drugs or bad grades is just reaching far up their own rear end in a sad attempt of defending them self.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This is just my opinion and the way I see things. Not trying to offend anyone. I love you all :)
You said it better than me :p I'm just used to being defensive because where I am people are incredibly offensive with all of their ideas. Not just religious ones either. Not saying that all people from where I live are bad either, it's just that there's enough of those people around to ruin it all.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You chronicled how you arrived where you're at quite well, no need to defend yourself, you think and question things, which is good. Anyone trying to discredit your views by accusing you of drugs or bad grades is just reaching far up their own rear end in a sad attempt of defending them self.
I feel people need to be not just entrusted, but motivated enough to question things themselves, especially before they arrive at ANY important conclusion in their life. Because of that I try to hold myself to the same standard. As for the defending myself it's a habit. See my post above this one :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Non-religious, non-spiritual. Don't like to use the word "atheist" because people associate it with anti-theists and euphoric bearded men who wear fedoras.

That is, I think there are some good ideas in religion and recognize the benefit it provides to people in the form of a community/social group but personally I can't accept the supernatural aspects of it all.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I pretty much consider myself an atheist with Stoic, Taoist, and some Buddhist leanings. I have a sort of secular pantheistic view of the cosmos. I do not like dogma in any form.

I also identify with this quite a bit:

None though I have Pagan leanings.
I am currently studying Tibetan Buddhism in Nepal, and am curious about it, though more drawn to Zen. I am approaching it with an open mind, though I am not sure I can accept such things as reincarnation, other than the fact that we are ultimately made of energy/matter and that our atoms will eventually become something else. I cannot see how our consciousness can survive the death of the brain.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Bravo.

·
Banned
862 Posts
Well, I'm Christian.. I can't really put down why in a couple of paragraphs but I'll say that my life requires compassion, and I guess I don't get much compassion from much others outside of Christian circles, or at least that's been my (perceived?) experience. I genuinely love the concept of unconditional love (though apparently debatable to some)... I try to treat others with respect and dignity because I'd like the same done to me and I think God would want it.. I'm Lutheran because I feel Luther was a very smart, questioning, self-aware person. I also love the Christian writer C.S. Lewis and the idea of unlimited imagination and creativity.. and the philosopher and theologian Soren Kierkegaard and his thoughts on existentialism within a spiritual setting really interests me... :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hmmm... I don't think a person can be a religion...

However, if you mean what religion I practice, then I practice Islam.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts