Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you go with the basic that came with the phone or do you download something different?

Do you have different ringtones for different groups/individuals?

Not sure if this is more type or generation related. I thought it was rich when I found my kids had programmed their phones to play The Imperial March when SWMBO or I called them. :laughing:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Do you go with the basic that came with the phone or do you download something different?
I ended up buying The Outsider Ringtone (click to hear preview) for my phone. My father couldn't find a good one built-in for his phone, and sent the thing back immediately I wouldn't expect a very good ringtone built-in from the phone, but now a days phone companies are pretty idiotic with that stuff.

Not sure if this is more type or generation related. I thought it was rich when I found my kids had programmed their phones to play The Imperial March when SWMBO or I called them. :laughing:
I don't differentiate from person to person. I will turn off the ring of a number if mad at the person, but thats rare if ever.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
My phone is a fairly generic model from a generic company. It's a no-frills service and I'm okay with that, since my cell phone bill is literally HALF of what it used to be. However, when I used to be with Verizon, my ringtone was "Holy Diver" by Dio. It's one of my favorite songs.

No, I've always just looked at the caller ID to determine whether I need to take the call right then or not.

LOL, that's funny!!! :laughing: :crazy:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have custom ringtones for every member of my immediate family. When my father calls, I hear a sound clip that I ripped from Back to the Future 3- when the train whistles and Doc says, "I've wanted to do that all my life!" My dad is a train enthusiast, and I made that ringtone for his phone (but of course I had to test it out on my phone first, and it just never got deleted!). My younger ENFP sister's tone when she calls is the Glee rendition of "Don't Rain on my Parade"- it fits her so well (she is in the drama program at her school), and the opening notes are so catchy and amazing. She was the one who set her own custom ringtone up on MY phone, and told me that she wanted it that way. I just went with the flow on that one- she can get what she wants this time. For my younger brother, the song "Extreme Ways" from the Bourne films plays when he calls me. I like it because we've bonded over reading the books together and enjoying the films. And he's also sorta mysterious, so it fits. The song that plays when my mother calls is [video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/38827/sesame-street-ladybug-picnic"[/video]. At one time I had a very vague memory of some of this song... and I didn't know the whole of it or where it came from. I sang a little to my mom, and she sang the ENTIRE song to me, from memory. Wow. She showed it to me on youtube and now I sing it back to her sometimes. She always laughs when I answer the phone singing that little song, or when she calls my phone and it's in the house and she can hear it. ^_^
My ringtone for when anyone else calls is the credits whistling tune from the end of the tv show, "Castle" (http://youtu.be/2C_tnY6KGMk). It's just so catchy and I have always loved it from when I first heard it! My text tone is the sound of the kimmunicator from "Kim Possible", because I grew up with that show and it makes me smile every time I hear it. ^_^

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
my ringtone was "Holy Diver" by Dio. It's one of my favorite songs.
Nice.

I have an iPhone and I've jailbroken it but I haven't put any custom ring tones on it. Honestly, I use like 1 minute per month. I'm piggybacked onto my parents plan and my Dad told me I almost never go over 5 minutes of phone time per month. I use my phone more for entertaining me when I have time where there's nothing else I can do (in between classes etc).

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice.

I have an iPhone and I've jailbroken it but I haven't put any custom ring tones on it. Honestly, I use like 1 minute per month. I'm piggybacked onto my parents plan and my Dad told me I almost never go over 5 minutes of phone time per month. I use my phone more for entertaining me when I have time where there's nothing else I can do (in between classes etc).
Five Minutes?!?

*I* talk more than that and I don't talk hardly at all on the phone. I average around two hundred minutes a month, personally. Most of the others on my plan range from 400 minutes to over 1200 minutes per month. I found it cheaper just to buy the unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. A lot less stress than fighting over who went over and cost us a bunch of money. Every time one of the kids would "fall in love" I'd be hit with an $800 phone bill for the month and I would just flip out. This way it is a consistent $350 a month. More than I'd like, but no surprises.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
Honestly, I use like 1 minute per month. I'm piggybacked onto my parents plan and my Dad told me I almost never go over 5 minutes of phone time per month. I use my phone more for entertaining me when I have time where there's nothing else I can do (in between classes etc).
My cell phone IS my main phone. I re-upped on the 18th of this month (it's a pre-pay) and I've already used 10 hours' worth of time (considering that I use it for ALL of my calls that's not abnormally high IMHO). I was considering getting the $30 plan next month, but after extrapolating my current usage, that would be a bad idea; the $30 plan only gives you 16 hours' worth of talk time. OTOH, the $45 plan gives you unlimited talk and texts, which is what I'm currently using.

Edit: I also meant to add that when I said my cell phone was my main phone, that I don't have a landline. I ditched traditional service a couple of years ago. There's no reason for me to pay upwards of $60 a month when I'm at the house (and awake) maybe four hours a day, tops.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to do the ringtone programing, but every time I had to do a hard reset I would lose all my downloads and all of my settings. Not worth the time to reprogram everything. Like cursivelogic mentioned, my favorite ringtone sounds like the phone in my grandmother's house forty years ago.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't have a phone that allows custom ringtones, but if I did this would be it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
YouTube - TWEWY ring tone - Calling
I don't have a phone that allows custom ringtones, but if I did this would be it.
I actually LOL'd when I watched that video.:laughing:

Five Minutes?!?

*I* talk more than that and I don't talk hardly at all on the phone. I average around two hundred minutes a month, personally. Most of the others on my plan range from 400 minutes to over 1200 minutes per month. I found it cheaper just to buy the unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. A lot less stress than fighting over who went over and cost us a bunch of money. Every time one of the kids would "fall in love" I'd be hit with an $800 phone bill for the month and I would just flip out. This way it is a consistent $350 a month. More than I'd like, but no surprises.
If I were in your position and received a $800 phonebill I would have one less offspring after receiving that bill :happy:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I were in your position and received a $800 phonebill I would have one less offspring after receiving that bill :happy:
Meh, if I did that, I wouldn't have any kids. And I'm too old to start over now. Thankfully, they've all staggered their love affairs so I didn't get hit with two in one month--but I did get two back to back. Anyways--It's only money--which means it ain't that important unless you ain't got none. (Which is why it's important to me!) :tongue:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Meh, if I did that, I wouldn't have any kids. And I'm too old to start over now. Thankfully, they've all staggered their love affairs so I didn't get hit with two in one month--but I did get two back to back. Anyways--It's only money--which means it ain't that important unless you ain't got none. (Which is why it's important to me!) :tongue:
Well, obviously I was not being literal. I would be pretty upset, though. Not sure exactly what I would do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just use one of the tones on the phone that i currently have, never had the drive to get something special for a rightone.

Besides i get real annoyed by people who let their ringtone play for several minutes before picking up there phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts