Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a job (or pass an interview), so all that's left is for me to try my hand at the startup game. This is your chance to get your want/need met. What should my startup do? That is, what have you always wanted/needed but no company does well enough?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I can't find a job (or pass an interview), so all that's left is for me to try my hand at the startup game. This is your chance to get your want/need met. What should my startup do? That is, what have you always wanted/needed but no company does well enough?
Finding a niche in the market, for example advice services, confidence building, something with technology or a simple 'why has no one ever thought of that' idea... I have no real advice here when credentials, qualifications and reputation branding are sometimes seen as necessary.

·
Meh.
8,054 Posts
Something that you are so passionate about that you are willing to dedicate 100+ hours a week to it. Running a start up is hard work, stressful and uncertain. Then take that idea that you are passionate about and work out how you can make money off of that: why would people buy your product or use your service?

If there are any business organisations in your area: reach out to them and find out if there are any information sessions for young start up business owners. They can be very useful.

Edit/add: Just one other thing to think about: If you wonder if you aren't getting jobs because you aren't passing interviews, how are you going to pass a sales pitch..

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
I was attempting to shop for my diabetic mom and it's a pain trying to keep track of the glycemic indices of foods. It'd be great if there was a small market devoted entirely to diabetics where every food has a low glycemic index. I'm thinking there's gotta be a demand for ready made meals for obese people that's cheap and healthy. The market could have 3 small isles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What about a nutraceutical store: a food store devoted to treating various health problems like hypertension and psoriasis?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I live in Silicon Valley, there are start-ups for just about anything you can think of. Some companies are more successful than others. Some started just as ideas or projects, which then turned into 1,000+ employee companies (Twitter for example).

The one thing that I cannot stress enough to aspiring entrepreneurs is that it is never a good idea to start a company just to start a company. If you don't have focus or true ambition, your "start-up" isn't going to get very far. At least not where it counts, and eventually if you do need to come to the Bay Area (if your start-up revolves around or is heavily dependent on technology) and if you started a company off of something that seemed like a good idea and would make you money, but your heart and passion is not into it...entrepreneurs can sense this from a mile away, you won't make any venture capital, and you will get eaten alive.

Expect failure. Expect mistakes. Expect even possibly going bankrupt. Because hardly anyone makes it the first time around. And that is TOTALLY OKAY.

Just know what you're getting into.

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Here are some other ideas I have:

1. Child training services for lousy rich parents. Hire someone to yell at your kid for you so you don't have to do it.
2. Recycling services for businesses. Many businesses put out bins for their employees to put plastic bottles and aluminum cans in, but it costs the company money to remove those bottles/cans. You can offer to do it for free and then sell the bottles/cans for a profit.
3. Bee keeper/mobile pollination services for farms.
4. Alternative pest control solutions for farms. Maybe you can breed ladybugs or some other predatory insect that devours common pests.
5. Furniture moving service for yard sales,etc. I see lots of great deals on craigslist, but the furniture just won't fit into my little car.
6. Professional restaurant/business critiquing/consultation service. Help new businesses get good reviews on Yelp! and other social media sites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Running a startup is a lot of work and lot of risk. I don't understand your attitude towards it. In order to put in so much time and so much money, it's usually an idea people are already emotionally invested in. A startup as 'well nothing else working right now' just seems destined to fail.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you can't get a job, that means there are other issues. Maybe it's your pitch. Maybe you need to get better at selling yourself?

Either way, a start-up isn't the answer. If you really want to "do your own thing" without being defined by "the man (or woman) or corporate life in general", just be a TaskRabbit and make monies on the side. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts