·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some stimulus:

Ten Obscure Factoids Concerning Albert Einstein
from Science A Go Go

1. He Liked His Feet Naked
"When I was young, I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in the sock," he once said. "So I stopped wearing socks." Einstein was also a fanatical slob, refusing to "dress properly" for anyone. Either people knew him or they didn't, he reasoned - so it didn't matter either way.

2. He Hated Scrabble
Aside from his favourite past-time sailing ("the sport which demands the least energy"), Einstein shunned any recreational activity that required mental agility. As he told the New York Times, "When I get through with work I don't want anything that requires the working of the mind."

3. He Was A Rotten Speller
Although he lived for many years in the United States and was fully bilingual, Einstein claimed never to be able to write in English because of "the treacherous spelling". He never lost his distinctive German accent either, summed up by his catch-phrase "I vill a little t'ink".

4. He Loathed Science Fiction
Lest it distort pure science and give people the false illusion of scientific understanding, he recommended complete abstinence from any type of science fiction. "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." He also thought people who claimed to have seen flying saucers should keep it to themselves.

5. He Smoked Like A Chimney
A life member of the Montreal Pipe Smokers Club, Einstein was quoted as saying: "Pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment of human affairs." He once fell into the water during a boating expedition but managed heroically to hold on to his pipe.

6. He Wasn't Much Of A Musician
Einstein would relax in his kitchen with his trusty violin, stubbornly trying to improvise something of a tune. When that didn't work, he'd have a crack at Mozart.

7. Alcohol Was Not His Preferred Drug
At a press conference upon his arrival to New York in 1930, he said jokingly of Prohibition: "I don't drink, so it's all the same to me." In fact, Einstein had been an outspoken critic of "passing laws which cannot be enforced".

8. He Equated Monogamy With Monotony
"All marriages are dangerous," he once told an interviewer. "Marriage is the unsuccessful attempt to make something lasting out of an incident." He was notoriously unfaithful as a husband, prone to falling in love with somebody else directly after the exchanging of vows.

9. His Memory Was Shot
Believing that birthdays were for children, his attitude is summed up in a letter he wrote to his girlfriend Mileva Maric: "My dear little sweetheart ... first, my belated cordial congratulations on your birthday yesterday, which I forgot once again."

10. His Cat Suffered Depression
Fond of animals, Einstein kept a housecat which tended to get depressed whenever it rained. Ernst Straus recalls him saying to the melancholy cat: "I know what's wrong, dear fellow, but I don't know how to turn it off."

** A copy paste version of this list can be found two posts below.

Reactions: vanilla_dream

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The only similarites i see with me and him are i will go mad spending 20 years of my life trying to figure out what god is thinking

3,5,6 and 9 sound like me

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Copy / Pasting:

2. He Hated Scrabble

9. His Memory Was Shot

11. ...

12. ...

·
Registered
705 Posts
2. He Hated Scrabble

9. His Memory Was Shot

Those sound like me. I think this thread is a little... pointless really. It's not that interesting to know which of these 10 things everybody shares with Einstein. It's interesting to read the 10 things themselves though.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

9. His Memory Was Shot

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like socks, but I often wear not matching ones.

I often have messy hair

I am a lousy piano player, I dislike so much musical notation or however you call those dots.

When doing maths and physics I invent my own symbols, and have a hard time remembering what the official symbols stand for.

I don't believe in marriage or monogamy

Absent minded and forgetful

·
Registered
856 Posts
TRUE

Socks suck. They make my feet feel clammy.

2. He Hated Scrabble
I can't anagram for shit.

With the exception of Doctor Who, I'm not a sci-fi fan.

I play guitar. I'm really bad at it. My hands are too small.

Howard (phone rings): Oh, great. It’s my cousin David about the ring. Hey, David, what’d you find? Oh, sure, a half a carat’s fine. Her freakishly small hands make anything look big. It’s one of the reasons I love her.

I don't like the taste. If we're going down that route, my preferred drug is caffeine.

FALSE

I'm better than most, I think. I certainly wouldn't use the word rotten.

My parents are both heavy smokers and I think it's disgusting. Apparently you're more likely to smoke if your parents do. Certainly not the case for me. If anything, it's put me off further.

I don't want to get married specifically, because I really don't see the point, but I'm very much pro-monogamy. I'd hate to be cheated on and I'd feel terrible if I cheated on somebody.

9. His Memory Was Shot
I'm quite good at remembering birthdays.

My cat is very cheerful. Purrs a lot.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Did he go commando? I go commando.

Reactions: Bazinga187

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I haaaate socks, or shirts with sleeves that are tight on the wrist. When I was a kid I'd freak out of my clothes got wet at all. I also dislike having wet hair, to the point where it truly annoys me.

1, 2, 8, and 9 I relate with pretty well.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
We both revolutionized the scientific world with General Relativity, except I discovered it 72 years later.

·
Registered
362 Posts

"When I was young, I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in the sock," he once said. "So I stopped wearing socks." Einstein was also a fanatical slob, refusing to "dress properly" for anyone. Either people knew him or they didn't, he reasoned - so it didn't matter either way.

"All marriages are dangerous," he once told an interviewer. "Marriage is the unsuccessful attempt to make something lasting out of an incident." He was notoriously unfaithful as a husband, prone to falling in love with somebody else directly after the exchanging of vows.

9. His Memory Was Shot

(My cat isn't depressed all the time but it does get depressed too o_O)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Lets see what einstein has in common with promethea:

1. Likes to eat mostly meat and eggs

2. Loves writing but doesn't care to be bound by the rules of grammar

3. Had a dog who was a homosexual

4. Loves nature scenery and flowers

5. Doesn't smoke .. cigarettes. (I will just imply my "drug of choice" here)

6. Demisexual

7. Drawn to water

8. Prefers the horror genre

9. Wears a lot of skirts in the warm seasons
(idk, they might look nice with his pretty legs and cute shoes)

10. Has started several fights in bars

Welp.. how does he measure up.

·
Social Pyromaniac
477 Posts
Yes

Yes, dear God, 1,000 times, yes.

We also have a similar awful taste in hair styles.

View attachment 35326

And I'm sure if Einstein was alive today, he also would have run his pic through a photo editor to appear artsy and cool.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
He apparently absentmindedly sawed off the rudder of his sailboat...I could definitely see myself doing that... :laughing:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1. He Liked His Feet Naked- Yes, but not for the torn toe reason, it's because I always lose my socks and they never match.

2. He Hated Scrabble- Yes, I get frustrated playing scrabble if i can't come up with a word in less then a minute.

3. He Was A Rotten Speller- No

4. He Loathed Science Fiction- No

5. He Smoked Like A Chimney- Yes

6. He Wasn't Much Of A Musician-No I am a terrible musician

7. Alcohol Was Not His Preferred Drug- I drink

8. He Equated Monogamy With Monotony- No, monogamy is better for me i think

9. His Memory Was Shot- Yes, I have a terrible memory for my age

10. His Cat Suffered Depression- I had a depressed cat and she died:(

·
Registered
729 Posts
LOL I'm not very much like him at all....

My memory is shot... but it's there when I really need something...
But the rest is quite unlike me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts