Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday, SWMBO started her internship at a local elementary school (she's a K-8 education major). The teacher she is working with is an INFP. So Monday is meet the teacher, a meet and greet in the gymnasium. Said INFP mentions that they have this earlier in the day, but as time goes on, she is obviously dragging her feet, not wanting to have to deal with this social situation. At SWMBO's prodding, they head down at 5 minutes before the program starts. SWMBO does have to prod her several times to get them moving in that direction. Once there the INFP teacher handles everything ok. Once it is over, she announces to SWMBO that she is scrapping all of her plans to work on her classroom etc., after the meet and greet, and is going to go home and get some rest--read that "alone time to recharge." Nothing wrong with anything, just observing the actions of an introvert in a social setting she really doesn't like.

Fast forward to today. My good friend Dims, has an elderly grandmother that passed away. No one is surprised, she's very elderly, has been living in an assisted living facility, and has been ailing. Out of respect for Dims and his wife & kids, I grab SWMBO and we head on over. So far, no big deal, no dread, no real anxiety. Get inside and I realize that the ONLY people I know is Dims and family. So SWMBO and I get introduced around, sign the book and make some small talk. Then Dims mentions I have an auto shop and here we go with 27,692 questions about cars, shops, work, blech. I don't much care for talking shop outside of a professional setting. So after about an half hour of this, I get SWMBO's attention with the "Let's go" look and we shake hands, tell everyone it was a pleasure, and start heading for the door. On the way, Dims catches me and thanks me for coming and then tells me, "It was fun watching you squirm." Of course, he means making all of the small talk with people you don't know and talking shop when that is what I hate. Dims is an INTJ so he can feel my pain.

What's a social situation where you just would rather not be there?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't like it when i am in a social situation where I am the odd one out. It is so awkward watching everybody else at your table talking with each other while you sit there silently, hoping for a chance to jump in and be included for a while... :frustrating:

OWL

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I absolutely dread going anywhere like a mall. If I'm with one other person or my family and am not alone, I'm fine..but when I go by myself I just cannot stand it. Seems like everyone is watching me O_O.

I have been in a situation before where I was with one friend, and he convinced me to go to his other friend's apartment where there were maybe 6 people total. It was a small apartment and we just sat in the living room with absolutely nothing to do. Just... being bored, with company. This seems like such an uncomfortable waste of time.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Holiday or going-away parties (for people that are quitting) that are sponsored by my employer. They're typically held at a local restaurant. While I almost always attend, I'd almost always rather be elsewhere once I get there.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Holiday or going-away parties (for people that are quitting) that are sponsored by my employer. They're typically held at a local restaurant. While I almost always attend, I'd almost always rather be elsewhere once I get there.
I read a description of ISTJ and in the description it said an ISTJ would view a work-party like you're describing as a "necessary inconvenience". You feel obligated to go to be polite even though you actually really have no desire to be there. Guess that description was true :happy:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would say ones that involve me talking a lot about myself to a lot of people I don't know. I'd also hate to talk to family and friends if I accidently really hurt their feelings somehow(made a joke that went too far or gave them bad advice which led to a current problem of their's).

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
582 Posts
Social situations don't bother me. I can handle them with relative ease, albeit in an introverted manner.

The kind of situation I dread is where there are a lot of people in a tight space, like at a party or a crowded shop, but I think that I'm just slightly claustrophobic.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
CLUB PARTIES.

Hate the music, the lights, the crowd, the dancing, the cigarette smoke.

I don't tolerate loud music unless it's being made by Judas Priest in one of their shows.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I personally don't like parties with a ton of people. I get really uncomfortable. I went to my cousin's graduation party and I had to find a place to retreat after a while. I actually found a place to sleep, but my cousin and her friends came down into the room I was trying to sleep in. I was not too happy at that point. Thankfully, I found a different place to sleep (my aunt was sick and I found a couch) and I was able to sleep. BTW, I had no grad party for a reason.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Clubs. Big parties. Crowded places. Any occasion where I am forced to participate in group activities (like karaoke :shocked:).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Clubs. Big parties. Crowded places. Any occasion where I am forced to participate in group activities (like karaoke :shocked:).
I totally forgot about karaoke.

If I ever find out who invented the machine I might end up doing unspeakable things to that guy. The damned thing is a crime against humanity.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I totally forgot about karaoke.

If I ever find out who invented the machine I might end up doing unspeakable things to that guy. The damned thing is a crime against humanity.
YES!! BRING OUT THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!:angry:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Funny, I love Karaoke and other small-scale social events like that. I don't have a problem making a fool out of myself sometimes.

Social events that I don't like? Events where I don't know anyone. I ALWAYS bring one of my extrovert friends when I go to events. Why? Well, you see someone you want to talk to, or are getting bored, you tell the extrovert and they get excited and rush over there and start the conversation for you. =D

If I didn't have my extrovert friends, I would be very loathe to act like them and initiate things.

I don't like big night clubs. The music, the blatant sexuality and substance abuse offends and puts me on edge. If it's a smaller old-school rock/pub style, I like it a lot more. =)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Funny, I love Karaoke and other small-scale social events like that. I don't have a problem making a fool out of myself sometimes.
Karaoke?! *shivers, hides under rock*

Social events that I don't like? Events where I don't know anyone. I ALWAYS bring one of my extrovert friends when I go to events. Why? Well, you see someone you want to talk to, or are getting bored, you tell the extrovert and they get excited and rush over there and start the conversation for you. =D

If I didn't have my extrovert friends, I would be very loathe to act like them and initiate things.
I really try to steer away from events I don't know anyone, or even worse, have nothing in common with anyone. My extravert friend is my wife! :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMO, Karaoke is awful. I've only done it once as a joke, but never again since I felt people were laughing at me more than with me . :sad:

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've never done Karaoke, but i can't imagine it's pleasant.
that like the worst place in the world loud music situation where you have to get out of the "shell" and your japanese girlfriend making hatsune miku voice sound low pitch so much her is overwhelmingly high (she already broke the speaker at the karaoke HAHAHA TAKE THIS SPEAKER)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Funny, I love Karaoke but that might be something to do with the fact that I can sing..:wink:

Such situations would be in a setting where:
-I am surrounded with extroverts that are talking about a topic I am not interested in- at all.....
-unfamiliar setting
-people I don't know
-or simply when people insist on small talk that's going nowhere with hardly any substance to talk about and I find that I have nothing to contribute.
- And don't get me started on stuck in a situation where several girls are talking about some random movie, clothes, shopping and guys....

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny, I love Karaoke but that might be something to do with the fact that I can sing..:wink:
I sing pretty well, but hate (and I do mean hate) karaoke. I don't like being the center of attention. Choir was fun as a kid, but I sure don't want to be the soloist. Perhaps it is due to confidence. Give me a Tenor Sax (preferably a Selmer) and I'm your huckleberry. I can really get lost in the intensity of becoming one with the music and the instrument, pouring every ounce of passion out through a vibrating reed.:crazy:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts