Personality Cafe banner

53461 - 53480 of 53592 Posts

·
5,363 Posts
instrumental list, now it is Soft forest by Sagor & Swing, the Everything will be be resolved by the same band, then A moment of reflection by Björn Olsson, followed by Badung city rockers by Wilderness, then Circles by Tussilago, marble machine and tornado by Wintergatan, then some songs by 1900...

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
i started to listen to this bellini opera called la sonnambula again yesterday and i'm just gut-hooked on this part of it right now. it doesn't seem to be one of the pieces that get much attention individually so i can't find an isolated clip that i like, but the tenor kicks in exactly 1:18:40 in this version.

i love how bellini makes it sort of time-drag and then catch up and then drag again. and the slightly [musical terminology i don't know the words for]. plus the spareness of it and the way it cuts loose and starts to just float at a certain point.

it's the usual high-drama opera thing. boy meets girl, boy gets wrong idea, boy loses plot blah blah blah, chorus kibbitzes and counterpoints along in the gaps. i'm a real sucker for team singing, and gah i love me some counterpoint. act 1 usually winds up with something good in most of the operas i've paid that much attention to.

there's a cabaletta after the slow part that's also worth hanging in for. they're both telling each other off by that point - even the long-suffering soprano catches a little of it for a change. but you might not know that's what's going on by the sound of it.

i love opera because so much of it is so much like actual life. people all parked in their own individual parts of a great big stage, barking away at one another and not listening to a damn thing.

Reactions: KindaSnob!
53461 - 53480 of 53592 Posts