Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This music thread is going to be a little different from the others. Instead of making a list of songs and genres you love, INFPs, I would like for you to go deeper than that, and try to analyze what drives you to listen to what you enjoy listening to...what are INFPs looking for in music? Why do you like to listen to what you do?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Classical music, above all.

Mozart, Bach, Rachmaninov, Debussy. The minds of composers such as these men were, in those days, so sharp and rich. Their ability to turn melodies into living, animate, creations, in harmony with other instruments, building, flowing, opening up a soundscape of feeling, and stories that only music can exhale. In the classical days it was so raw, reflective. The majority of today's music, to me, seems like it is meant to create an effect, with so much focus on rhythm, attitude, hypnotizing qualities, which captivate the listener, but when the music itself is evaluated, it is hollow, formulaic, and lacks the fine skills of the composers of olde.

There are exceptions, of course. I appreciate some different electronic/ambient music. Some of these composers are extremely skilled with music, not relying wholly upon hypnotic sounds, but can create a landscape or world where sound effects and complex instrumental patterns flow and harmonize.

I like some Christian music artists, though not most of the popular bands. I do like those who communicate through their lyrics a depth of spiritual experience that is raw and honest and uplifting, and who use their music skillfully to augment the spiritual beauty.

Songs:

Mozart - Symphony no. 25
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 3
Debussy - Passepied

How about you, XXXX?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I too most enjoy music that has an emotional resonance. However often you only find this in sad things (which I think is often more revealing of the soul than being happy, and may be why I am attracted to sad things). Sadly so many songs faltly talk about love with no emotional backing that they get boring. These people sing about love but so rarely show anything human about yes. Maybe it's just been overdone so much I have become desensitised to it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Classical music, above all.

Mozart, Bach, Rachmaninov, Debussy. The minds of composers such as these men were, in those days, so sharp and rich. Their ability to turn melodies into living, animate, creations, in harmony with other instruments, building, flowing, opening up a soundscape of feeling, and stories that only music can exhale. In the classical days it was so raw, reflective. The majority of today's music, to me, seems like it is meant to create an effect, with so much focus on rhythm, attitude, hypnotizing qualities, which captivate the listener, but when the music itself is evaluated, it is hollow, formulaic, and lacks the fine skills of the composers of olde.

There are exceptions, of course. I appreciate some different electronic/ambient music. Some of these composers are extremely skilled with music, not relying wholly upon hypnotic sounds, but can create a landscape or world where sound effects and complex instrumental patterns flow and harmonize.

I like some Christian music artists, though not most of the popular bands. I do like those who communicate through their lyrics a depth of spiritual experience that is raw and honest and uplifting, and who use their music skillfully to augment the spiritual beauty.

Songs:

Mozart - Symphony no. 25
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 3
Debussy - Passepied

How about you, XXXX?
I completely agree with the bolded statement. Back then, music was meant to be emotionally analyzed, meant to be explored with all your heart and soul, meant to be meaningful to each individual...but nowadays, popular music is so different. Popular music today comprises of a driving bassline, hypnotic beat, catchy tune, and silly lyrics about hot girls/dancing in the club/etc.....sometimes the lyrics may be about love, but it only goes as far as "baby I love you so much" .....the lyrics never really delve any deeper than that, into the meaning of love to the artist who composed that song...... (and another thing! most pop artists these days don't even write their music/lyrics!) But that's not to say that all popular music is a bad thing. It's fun for a while...but as time progresses, the popular music becomes unimportant. Because that's how it was to begin with. It wasn't meaningful, it was just new and catchy at the time, so couldn't remain popular for long...it will begin to become tiring after a while, because there is nothing meaningful about the music/lyrics for the listener to hold on to forever.

I will admit, I should listen to more classical music. I used to play piano regularly, and I'm still quite good at it...I played popular classical music like Blue Danube by Strauss II, Serenade by Schubert, Fur Elise by Beethoven...but I really think it would be good to listen to more classical music. I often don't know where to begin though, where to look :blushed:

As for electronic music, I am a huge fan of downtempo, minimal techno, ambient house, and trip-hop. One of my most favorite downtempo artists is Recoil, the solo project of Alan Wilder. He's a genius when it comes to different electronic sounds...he says himself that music is meant for listening deeply to, and you can definitely do that with his music.

But overall, I will pretty much listen to anything (except for country.) My favorite artist is Depeche Mode. Lyrics so deep and ambiguous that they can relate to almost anybody. Music so powerful and different, it makes you want to listen. And, the music is catchy too! Which is never a bad thing, as long as the music is meaningful...and it is. :proud:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like progressive rock, "classic rock" (I really hate that term, but what are you gonna do), and 60-80s pop. Also some metal, but mostly earlier, lighter "hard rock" 70-80s stuff when it wasn't so DJUNT DJUNT DJUNT because they didn't have the production tech nor the bajillion-string guitars neccessary. I also like instrumental music, and some videogame music (the more melodic cheesy stuff, not so much serious RPG stuff). I don't listen to a ton of modern music, not because of any "duurr all old music is better new music suux" pretention, but just because of certain production technique and musical trends.

I like music with a sensible melody, energetic instrumentation, and hopefully some interesting arrangements and structure. As long as the core of the song isn't some weird avant-garde impressionalism with nothing for me to latch onto, then I'm fine with experimentation. I like it best when music dresses up a relatively catchy melody with lots of harmonies, complex instrumentation, and plays around with it a lot. I also love vocal harmonies.
I prefer music with motion and energy. It mirrors my own creative adrenaline I get when I get in the mood for creating, I definitely don't like sitting still when writing. Don't care for punk though, too "we're playing fast, but also really lazily" feel to me. I listen to lots of more calmer "mood" stuff too, but I like it better if it's used in context of music with more motion.
I generally graduate towards major key stuff rather than minor key. I like it when a major key tries to sound melancholic more than when a minor key tries to sound sad (ie. Whiter Shade of Pale, I love descending basslines), it's less obvious that way to me.
Mirroring that point, I've never been one for sappy sentimentality, I like it when the lyrics are less direct and more metaphorical. Really blatant stuff just makes me feel embarassed. You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!
I really don't like most brass instruments. Except french horn, that's nice and mellow.
I get emotional catharsis from big buildup+releases and climaxes. Lyrically, I like it when they go along the lines of "moving on (from depression)". Musically, things like the church organ in Close to the Edge, Razor's Edge in Octavarium, The Trial in The Wall, the orchestral stuff at the end of Thick as a Brick, or hell, even smaller stuff like the end of Under Pressure. Foreshadowing, musical references and motifs, and all that lovely stuff are all awesome. But I like it best in the context of rock music.
Despite typical INFP traits, writing poetry has never been my forte. I generally pay attention to music more to lyrics. Lyrics are not THAT important to me, as long as they're not lowbrow "party" lyrics (girls, drinking, girls, partying, more drinking, etc.). Good lyrics really stand out and improve everything else in turn, though.
Not big on a lot of singer-songwriter stuff, the whole cliche of "tortured 20-something soul sits on bedside singing from his aching heart with a sliver of twinkling moonlight creeping o'er his head from his windowsill" has never really attracted me.
I like tenor voices because they're cool and I like badly imitating them. I also appreciate good playing for the same reasons.
I don't care for most music intended solely for dancing.

so yeah that's it :laughing:

And also, guys, classical music of the past was never the dominant form of music for the public, it was never pop music, you can't really fairly compare them. There has ALWAYS been simpler, "less intellectual" pop music throughout human history, even in the days of classical music - they just didn't have the money to write them down, or the rich elite audiences to have listen to them, so they don't get recognized. The general public have always listened to popular, non-classical music, from chanting some old folk song in ancient townhalls to singing some catchy dixieland song around the family piano. But whatever...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only listen to songs that I can personally relate to. I listen to different styles and genres in different times of my life. When I am feeling happy, I listen to pop music. When I am feeling angry, I am more apt to listen to punk music with a fast tempo. Mostly, I listen to country, pop, and alternative, but usually only country and alternative when I am sad or confused.

I always find music more meaningful if it has beautiful music with correspondingly haunting lyrics (the song that I have been listening to lately is "Everything is Beautiful by Ann Marie Boskovich). I also really like the band Sky Sailing, because it allows me t to feel almost transcendent and surreal no matter my mood.

Music that makes me feel emotion is my favorite kind.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I LOVE music. Like others have said, I like the emotional resonance. I've recently found myself listening to a lot of Celtic music - the softer songs. I find them to be healing to me. I like a lot of Nobuo Uematsu's orchestrated music - but not all of it. I find there is much negative music - or music that makes me feel dark inside - even in the classical genre. But I do love most classical music - especially for piano and/or strings. I love Mormon Tabernacle Choir music. I also like listening to men's choirs. There is something powerful about 100 men's voices singing all together. I like listening to national anthems (sung by their respective native singers). Depending on my mood, I like classic rock, and some modern rock, if I'm trying to clean the house. But in my quiet, reflective moments, I have my mp3 list of Celtic and classical tunes. And that is mostly the kind of music I write.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will admit, I should listen to more classical music. I used to play piano regularly, and I'm still quite good at it...I played popular classical music like Blue Danube by Strauss II, Serenade by Schubert, Fur Elise by Beethoven...but I really think it would be good to listen to more classical music. I often don't know where to begin though, where to look :blushed:
If you don't know where to look, maybe I can help you! Allow me to give you just a few examples to start with; ones that I think most INFPs would enjoy:

Debussy - Reverie, and... Arabesque no. 1
Liszt - Liebestraum
Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 1 2nd Movement (emotions galore!)
Bach - Sheep May Safely Graze, Double Violin Concerto in D minor
Vivaldi - Concerto for Two Violins in A minor (if you like baroque beauty), and Vivaldi's "Four Seasons"
Beethoven - Symphony no. 7 2nd Movement (from melancholy to epic)
Brahms - Piano Quartet in C minor 3rd Movement (Oh my, it's soul-reaching!), and for the last one, I'll post a video from Youtube. It's Brahms' Symphony no. 3 3rd Movement. It is stellar, and I think it is straight down the alley of any INFP, maybe anyone. The video is nice because it contains a segmented biography with pictures that includes the love story between he and Clara Schumann. It's nice, enjoy:

YouTube - Brahms Symphony No.3 Poco Allegretto

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
If you don't know where to look, maybe I can help you! Allow me to give you just a few examples to start with; ones that I think most INFPs would enjoy:

Debussy - Reverie, and... Arabesque no. 1
Very good choices! Bach's Branderburg Concerto No. 3 is wonderful. Don't forget the legendary Erik Satie! :happy:
YouTube - Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1

As for why I like music...I guess I haven't considered it much. Music is such an integral part of my life it is hard to imagine life without it, or why I listen to it. I guess to relate to others maybe? I alternate between loving peaceful, whistful, lovely music and dark, despairing, sad music. I value lyrics very highly. If it sounds silly read without the music, chances are good its not that great.

I love very beautiful sonic landscapes. I like it personal but at the same time epic, sometimes "angsty." Lots of romance in songs I like, and the male+female vocal combination (Velvet Underground, Slowdive, MBV) I could die for. I love orchestra because it flows from emotion to emotion. I love pop music that can do that! There is at least one genre that can do this, shoegaze, and that is why it is my favorite genre.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I LOVE MUSIC. I love it so so so so so much that if it were taken away, I'd kill myself. I would.

I, too, like music that elicits a certain feeling in me. I like different genres for different reasons:

Classic rock: This is my favorite, because I feel like it is most "me". I love the album Sandinista! by the Clash, because the music is so incredibly interesting: simple enough, but complex enough to throw that label of "rock" and "punk" out the window. Seriously, this is not a punk band anymore. This is a rock/hillbilly/reggae/punk/even some jazz band. This album is grossly underrated and I have said that if I ever have enough money, I'll buy thousands of copies and give them away. I love the political lyrics (such a nice break from the love songs) and I love the music, and I love this album with my whole heart and soul.

"Goth" rock: I don't really consider myself a huge fan of this genre, but the album Disintegration by the Cure, especially the songs "Plainsong" and "The Same Deep Water as You" seriously make me feel like I'm stoned and in a strange, kind of sad but ineffably beautiful heaven. The lyrics are deep and pure and true, and the music... oh that guitar and those beautiful drums...

Reggae: Reggae is pure fun for me. It makes me feel light and fun and like the entire world exists only to allow us to feel joyful, happy, and loving. I love reggae.

Electronica: Good electronica comes in second for me, after classic rock. I love lounge and downtempo and acid jazz and types to that effect. It transports me from earth to a world that I see in my dreams. The way good electronica makes me feel, I cannot aptly put into words. But it transcends me and I literally feel like I turn back into myself when I turn it off. It makes my daydreaming come to life and I feel like I am living it for the duration of the song.

As you can see, music can make me FEEL more than anything, except for maybe being in love. But even then, the right song can mimic the feeling of being intensely in love, for me. If I'm sad, if I'm incredibly angry, if I'm happy... just throw on right right song and all those moods can be forgotten in an instant.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I wish I had a greater appreciation for classical but lyricism is just so important to me.

I like anything that provokes or shows a great deal of emotion in the way it is sung. Jazz is great because of this and I also like indie-ish rock that has clever lyrics that I can relate to. It also seems that I like sad songs because sadness is something everyone can relate to and love songs are rarely genuine. If I hear one that is, I'll normally love it. But a song about going to vegas or partying all night may be fun but it won't hold much resonance with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As you can see, music can make me FEEL more than anything, except for maybe being in love.
You nailed it! Nice way of expressing that.

Music is the only thing in life (outside of love) that resonates with this deep, primal, powerful force at my core. It's like it unlocks my heart at times. Many of my most profound thoughts or epiphanies are found while listening to music.

It's as necessary as breathing.

Like this, for instance:

YouTube - Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

Reactions: Aero

·
Registered
116 Posts
i like singer-songwriters... acoustic stuff...

... it just seems so sincere when it's one person and their instrument...

Black Eyed Dog on Vimeo

please watch that video...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative, rock period, lol.

I just love hearing electric guitars for some reason, it's like they shape the intensity of the song, and then it's followed by intense lyrics talking about the softest of things.

I love it to death.

I also love most types of pop, and especially Japanese music.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Something positive: Regardless of anything else, I don't want it to be coming to a negative conclusion, I do not want to accept such a thing (this is true for all thoughts, end well or don't end). That doesn't mean it has to all be upbeat, happy happy, etc. There is such a thing as "beautiful sadness," bittersweet, or maybe even something that may seem negative to others, but is in response to something (ie. tearing into something evil counts as positive for the sake of what I'm saying here). As well, it could simply have no conclusion, like when you see but do not judge, just wonder hazily. (In other words, I don't like nihilistic or pessimistic stuff.)

Something spirited: What I imagine to be from the F side, but I'm not really sure. Something that feels good, almost or maybe even spiritual. This is the hardest one for me to word, but I could give specific examples relatively easily. The opposite would be shallow, unemotional, harsh reality, gritty type stuff - like somebody rapping about how many bitches and cars they have. One might think I'm talking about "easy listening," but in reality, I'm bored to tears with that stuff (I'd rather sit in silence, it is of a discordant wavelength). If the music has only this thing, no matter how good it feels I will get bored of it quickly as it will only be appealing to the 'heart, not the mind.'

Something interesting: As just said, something for the mind. Changing, unexpected, but congruous melodies. Fast, quick, rapid, strong is a plus. Emphasis on changing, non-repetitive. This may mean in emotion expressed too. Something complex, unpredicted, unexpected, but not random noise, sensical. Taking you along for the ride, telling a story, expressing a feeling (even without words). This thing without the above comes out feeling dry, uninspired, uncomfortable. Without the "heart," it's like moving but without being alive, animate but soulless. Robotic, undead, lifeless. The mind may be occupied, but it won't take long before it grates on me and if I keep at it long enough I can actually start feeling a bit physically sick. An example would be guitar solos where they are just showing their technique and technical prowess, like somebody saying a bunch of fancy words without actually expressing anything, just to show their expertise.

Genres that tend to fit this, in my experience:

Trance + related: May fail on either side commonly (a lot of low quality junk to be found), but the stuff on youtube seems to usually do me right

Chip tunes and retro(/retro-style) video game music: Often abnormally expressive and interesting alike, a favorite. Bonus: I grew up on these sounds, they're nostalgic and take me back to my center

Modern japanese music (be it jpop, jrock, whatever): Can carry a risk of being too generic (thus repetitive), but it rarely ever doesn't cover all bases

Vocaloid stuff: Kind of like chiptunes + japanese. Has sort of a chiptune feel but it can sing words (and include instruments), and despite being rather robotic, often you'll find the stuff is more emotional in nature. It has extra appeal to me because I personally relate to a sort of "digitized emotion." (Also, to the personality attributed to Miku)

This all, of course, makes small chat about music quite difficult.

159 Posts
I like music because of the way you feel the emotion of it. I find pop and most modern rock too shallow I like stuff with good lyrics which are either emotional or reflect on society. The music also has to be good. I love music where the music without the words is intensly emotional like for example David Gilmours guitar solo in comfortably numb.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Alternative hip hop like kanye west, kid cudi and kendrick lamar. And some alternative rock like the black keys, the smiths and animal collective

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When I was growing up I just listened to music that everyone was listening too. I could and I still can listen to almost everything though there are few exceptions. Like I said, if I was in a car with someone I could probably listen to their music and enjoy it, but the music that I listen to, and have listened most for the past 5 years is kpop.

I don't know what exactly made me like kpop so much. I often just describe it as very catchy, colorful, upbeat pop music. Idk, kpop just tends to make me very happy. I think that is the reason why I like it so much. I tend to have a love hate relationships with most of the fandoms and stuff, but for the most part, to me getting into kpop has been a very wonderful experience. I think it might even have made me into much more colorful person.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts