Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This music thread is going to be a little different from the others. Instead of making a list of songs and genres you love, ISFPs, I would like for you to go deeper than that, and try to analyze what drives you to listen to what you enjoy listening to...what are ISFPs looking for in music? Why do you like to listen to what you do?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mostly i listen to what moves my mind, there has to be a certain groove, a vibe or something.Wide and deep sounds with melancholic and beatiful melodies.And it certainly must be something different and unheard.

I think that music is a very important part of my life, i can relate to it a lot, and it kind of repairs my soul.A nice way to escape from lifes problems, is to listen to good music:laughing:

·
Registered
42 Posts
what sanity said.. it has to heal the soul depending on what it needs at the moment for me. Definitely melancholic as well. Strangly I listen to metal bands like a7x and nightwish too. the lyrics sounds somewhat regretful.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think one way I use music as a way to justify my feelings. When I'm in a pretty emotional mood for whatever reason, I usually sift through multiple songs and try to relate them to my situation. It feels pretty desperate, even while I'm doing it, but it really does help me sort through the way I'm feeling and find peace with it.

Another way is to escape. If I can get lost in a song and focus all of my attention on it, it's a great feeling. Lately I've been into electronic type music and it seems to take me to a different dimension of myself..if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like others, I rarely hear or care about lyrics. But a really good beat is amazing. Certain combinations of sounds and harmonies. They say sense of smell is most closely associated with memory. For me, different types of music seem closely associated with mood and setting.

40s big band music. This always makes me feel like I am sitting in a nice restaurant overlooking the bay. Dark wood, leather, and brass lamps. It doesn't necessarily make me think of those things specifically - but it makes me feel that ambiance. Of course, this also makes me think of my grandpa. Think Dizzy Gillespie.

Trance / trip-hop music on a good sound system or with headphones. First,this reminds me of my old club days :happy:. But I still like this music because it is so spatial. It almost feels like you are being pulled into it the music. You can't discern which direction it's coming from - it's just everywhere. Some people want to dance. I always want to close my eyes (this music sounds best in the dark) and just soak it in. Gives me the chills. Think Dreaming by BT.

Texas country. Makes me think of the Texas Hill Country. That rocky, scrubby, cactus-y landscape. The dry heat, and cool nights with a clear, uncluttered view of the milky way. The smell of Juniper. Freedom (probably because I associate the Hill Country with vacation). Think Jerry Jeff Walker or Robert Earl Keen.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hip-Hop, anything that has a cool, laid back beat. Or a kind of air, rain, beach kind of sentimental breach of sound of rap like a little bit of ambient hip hop instrumentals too... like Nujabes

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hip-Hop, anything that has a cool, laid back beat. Or a kind of air, rain, beach kind of sentimental breach of sound of rap like a little bit of ambient hip hop instrumentals too... like Nujabes
not a big fan of Hip hop but Nujabes is pretty good :D

just thought Id add my quick opinion lol

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
maybe I'm the odd one out here, but lyrics are huge for me. Sure I like a good sound, and I usually prefer medium tempo, heavy rock. And PUNK! And that last word should say it all. I like loud, angry political music with a liberal bias. Do I really need to explain why? yeah I'm a lefty. And I like everlast. bluntly honest lower class songs.

I listen to very little country. I find there to almost never be any musical ability and the lyrics are so shallow... Not to mention a lot of hardcore conservative BS... Except John Denver. He truly is amazing, and many of his songs sing of my type of lifestyle (think "I guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado" and "Rocky Mountain High" and "Poems, Prayers, and Promises")

I find hip-hop annoying. Actually...I nothing it. No real opinion.

I take my music seriously. I use it to express my views, since I am rather repressed in nearly all of my social views (I tend to be controversial). I intensly analyze every lyric and its meaning in every song that enters my mp3 player and each song fits within my values perfectly.

One last thought...
GREEN DAY!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Ok. Here's my real post XD

I too need good lyrics. Bad lyrics is just sooo boring after a while... and since the space on my ipod is so limited the song (and in other cases band) wont last very long. If the lyrics are good I'll listen to about any genre (except one or two). I need my lyrics to tell a story. Once theres a story generally the singing and sound should match the story. Like for instance the band From First To Last - their song Note to Self may not be that appealing to many people because of the fast heavy metal music. But I think it very well compliments the tone of the song (as does the singing). Its something that just wouldnt have the same effect with only the lyrics or a different sound.

I suppose I'm particular about my music. And if it doesnt meet my standards its out. Generally bands who are just trying to "go big" suck in my book.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I mentioned this in a previous thread, but for me it's all about the sounds and beat of a song, rather than the lyrics. I'll pay attention to the pitch or tone of the singer's voice, but I don't pay much attention to the meaning of the lyrics.

I usually like something that has a good beat and makes me want to get up and move. Slow paced songs without a good beat just put me to sleep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To me it´s about atmosphere, raw energy, and raw emotion. I love metal for its melodies and energy - very motivating to me. Some of it is also atmospheric (Buried at Sea). I also listen to ambient and industrial for atmosphere primarily but industrial can be very raw in energy and emotion as well. Delerium´s early stuff is a good combination of industrial and ambient. Lyrics take a back seat to me but can be nice.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Where do I start? Most of my life music mattered way more than lyrics all throughout my school years. Lyrics started to matter when I was in high school as I was listening to things with lyrics that resonated with me, but the music also had to be awesome. I had little tolerance to anything less, and I think I still do. Most types of metal's been mostly my life getting into heavier and heavier as life went on. Then I also got into other styles but mostly guitar oriented like Pink Floyd, when "alternative" was popular like grunge, Primus (yes it's a genre too), later I got into industrial, some types of rave and I do like some of the more aggressive rap, not for the lyrics exactly (though "How I Could Just Kill A Man" was one of my favourite driving songs lol). Now I'm getting into punk rock like Dead Kennedys thanks to my love of Jello Biafra and anything he touches lol. Punk's one of the few genres where lyrics matter most plus energy. Variety is the spice of life, you should see what my MP3 player looks like...lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Soothing, dreamy sounds that either calm my mind or thrust me into my magical little world... Lyrics are pretty important, too, although a plethora of songs in my music collection don't have any at all.

Reactions: camus11

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its all about the sound, and energy and emotion it carries with it. Lyrics? I don`t really pay attention to them. But good vocal? Hell yeah! Currently listening to some ambient pieces, some glitch. Always loved metal. I like some hip hop stuff too. Pretty much everything, as long as it has that "thing" that moves me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The music I mostly listen to is Dire Straits, Jack Johnson and Coldplay. Dire Straits for the immaculate MK guitar solos and instrumentals; Jack Johnson for the laid back feeling; and Coldplay for their beautiful melodies and harmornies. Also if a piece/song has a really good beat and/or melody, I'll enjoy it straight away :laughing:

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
What I listened to today: Tea Party, Cypress Hill, Living Sacrifice, Fear Factory, Morgoth, in that order.

Reactions: Mange

·
Registered
18 Posts
All about that emotional response. When the music or the beat gets inside you and you could just smile, or cry, or have to move your head to the beat. I love NIN, house music, and lots of other stuff; classical to black metal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Classical music. theres something that to me is jsut unreal about it. all those parts from all those instruments working together to make something beautiful. i think it's cool how i can listen to a song that's over 100 years old and think it's new and cool and beautiful still. it doesn't die is my point. todays music goes into phases of different stuff and artists come and go within a year or so. but heck i can pull out a mozart cd and the songs will be some 200 years old and people still know it, it's still alive and well in the music industry. and it's such a broad genre, it can be in video games sad fast happy or graceful. doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts