Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ISTPs out there a fan of Asimov, Douglas Adams, Gerald Durrell and Black Adder?

Nowadays I don't really have the patience to read a book from cover to cover, preferring short stories that are engaging and clever. Has anyone tried to read Lord of the Rings? I made several attempts but couldn't get past 3 pages - the writing style just didn't appeal. Douglas Adams and Gerald Durrell definitely have a sense of humour that appeals to my ISTP mind.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Douglas Adams and Terry pratchet are my favs. And yes, ive read Tolkien from cover to cover, all books. In a week even. Also Robert Ludlums bourne series was quite decent. Not an avid reader anymore since i am not working. Used to read atleast 2000 pages per week when i was.

As for movies, i love sci-fi related topics mostly but the last good movie i saw was "Law Abiding Citizen". For some reason, i thought he was an istp or intj, probably an intj tho.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have an ISTP friend, but I have the feeling she doesn't like reading much...

Reactions: Jetpack Man

·
Registered
115 Posts
Books, almost never, when I do it is nonfiction. I do not want to experience another persons fantasy. I feel trapped and can not connect to the people involved. It is frustrating being locked down into the way some stranger is describing the world, in a way I would not. And don't get me started on actions taken.

Movies... sci-fi action could be fun. Comedy sometimes but I laugh just as much at horror movies... when I don't get frustrated and just stop watching them.

I feel much more relaxed if there are some interaction and control by me. Make it a computer game and I could probably like the story much more even if it is "worse".

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I never read Asimov or Adams, but Asimov's Foundation books are on my list to read.

I'm the same way too, with the impatience. I'll go through phases where I cannot finish a book to save my life. You just have to be in the right mood to read a certain book, and certain books require different moods. My mom, sister, and brother (INFJ, ISTJ, INTJ) don't understand how I can stop a book midway, read something else, come back to it maybe three books later, and finish it, while still remembering the important facts and plot devices.

I've read The Lord of the Rings several times. One of my favorite books. I really love the story, but sometimes, I might skim the long descriptive passages that don't advance the plot. If you can't get through the books (because let's be honest, the writing is not for everybody), the movies are a close second. I was very impressed how they adapted the books.

I like all kinds of books: fantasy and science fiction, fiction, mysteries, some classics, some nonfiction (it has to be really interesting though)...I really don't stick to one genre. The only genre I don't read is romance...I avoid that like the plague. I'm very selective too. If it's a crappy book, I'm not reading it. I don't care if it's the modern classic of our time, or a Dickens novel. It's hard finding the "diamond in the rough" in all these genres, because you have to sift through all the crap to find it.

Reactions: cbelle

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
My father is an ISTP/ISTJ and he loves action movies. He doesn't read much, but his favorite books are Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I've read the first two Dark Tower books. The Gunslinger (a.k.a. Roland) is kick ass.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Totally forgot to mention Frank Herberts Dune series, read em all atleast 4 times through. And the King books are the Dark Tower line ones. Amazing book line, really should pickup the last 3 books in the series but there are never any good english books in this country... and translated masterpieces are not worth more than a mediocre story by an unknown artist.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like action movies with slight humour. I never ever watch rom-com things ugh. My friend was over and made me watch one. I just laughed when she did and it seemed to keep her happy.:wink: I love reading usually a ww2 novel because i find that time interesting.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Also Robert Ludlums bourne series was quite decent.
I'm reading Bourne Identity right now for the first time, and it is awesome. I've seen the movies, which are independently awesome, even if they don't follow the book.

As for movies, i love sci-fi related topics mostly but the last good movie i saw was "Law Abiding Citizen". For some reason, i thought he was an istp or intj, probably an intj tho.
I liked that movie, but the ending pissed me off. I remember thinking, WTF? What happened was inevitable, of course, but how it happened was unrealistic and far-fetched. I would be more specific, but I don't want to give the movie to people who haven't seen it.

Totally forgot to mention Frank Herberts Dune series, read em all atleast 4 times through. And the King books are the Dark Tower line ones. Amazing book line, really should pickup the last 3 books in the series but there are never any good english books in this country... and translated masterpieces are not worth more than a mediocre story by an unknown artist.
Love, love, love Dune. It's a masterpiece. I did try reading the sequel, but I couldn't get into it. I think Dune stands well on its own.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I prefer non fiction.

I can pick up a fiction book, read a little, enjoy it... and then forget about it. It almost never sinks in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never read Asimov or Adams, but Asimov's Foundation books are on my list to read.

The only genre I don't read is romance...I avoid that like the plague. I'm very selective too. If it's a crappy book, I'm not reading it.

Definitely NO romance! Yuck! LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer non fiction.

I can pick up a fiction book, read a little, enjoy it... and then forget about it. It almost never sinks in.
Non-fiction that gives lots of practical application tips - definitely my kind of reading material!

Although, I never read instruction manuals! Well, I do - but only the section or paragraph that is relevant!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I hate all books. :)

I haven't watched TV since the late 20th century, but I do have some of the old classics like Blackadder in my personal collection (which I've watched a few too many times now). My favorite thing to watch, if I'm bored, is Shakespeare. Although I would never read it, ugh.

I can't think of any movies I like. I can think of some movie scenes I like, but not entire movies. The scenes I like are usually action-packed with lots of stunts.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I like reading and usually prefer it to watching movies.
I remember enjoying Asimovs books, but I hated the way he had to explain everything as if the reader was stupid or something.
I read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series about once a year; same with Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - but I prefer the Dirk Gently books when we're talking Adams.
I'm a big Pratchett fan, and I'm re-reading the entire Discworld series right now.
I also liked the Bourne series - both the (Ludlum) books and the movies. Clancy is another author I tend to re-visit.
When it comes to movies, I tend to enjoy directors who pay attention to details. I usually love Tarantino movies for this reason.

Edit: Oh yeah, can't forget old Alistair MacLean when it comes to authors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You guys have surprisingly good taste. I don't really care for Tolkien, I like my fantasy realistic and with a high body count.

I pretty much uniformly dislike movies unless they have a certain Mr. Bourne in them...

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I don't read books unless they're thrust before me. Too much work, and its rare that I find a fantasy/sci fi book that interests me and outdoes the last one I read. Maybe I'm an ENFP.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I don't read books unless they're thrust before me. Too much work, and its rare that I find a fantasy/sci fi book that interests me and outdoes the last one I read. Maybe I'm an ENFP.
How does that make you an ENFP?

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only introvert who isn't bookish. I've never read anything especially entertaining or eye-opening in a book. I'm sure there were some exceptions but I can't remember them now.

I've spent many an hour killing time in a library and I almost never find anything that interests me. I usually end up in the art section looking for something with pictures. :)

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
It makes me an ENFP because I am never satiated with what I have. Everything I do must be better than what I last did. Ne is insatiable. But I think Se can be the same way.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I've spent many an hour killing time in a library and I almost never find anything that interests me. I usually end up in the art section looking for something with pictures. :)
I don't go to libraries for this very reason. I never can find anything that interests me. I usually use my mom as a guinea pig to see if a book is any good. That way, I don't waste my time with a crappy book.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts