·
Registered
791 Posts
Throughout various periods in my life:

Baseball
American Football
Track & Field
Tennis
Golf (though many won't consider it a sport)
Martial Arts (Aikido for 4 years)

Most recently - road cycling

·
Registered
27 Posts
fencing, martial arts, swim, yoga

pretty much anything that lets me be competitive, with one-on-one contact, and no stinking team :crazy:

except yoga. that's chill out & stop thinking time.

Reactions: Think

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would like to do a variety of martial arts, but that would intefere with my sitting alone in a darkened room and planning all of the ways in which i could take over the world / extract revenge upon certain people.
PS i do shooting. With photographs :tongue:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I liked casual soccer as a child. Sometimes, I play Ultimate Frisbee or Frisbee Golf.

The only school sports activities I participated in I decided to try during my senior year of High School, running with the Cross Country team in the fall, followed by Track and Field in the spring- the latter I quit a few weeks in because it quickly lost its element of fun and sense of fulfillment for me. I still enjoy cycling. When I'd go up stairways in my parents' home I'd often skip steps to give myself a bit of a workout- I've always enjoyed sprinting and view endurance running as quite a fulfilling challenge.

The only sport I enjoy watching is college football, most everything else quickly bores me- my brain tunes out and goes off on some thoughtful tangent for a couple of minutes before I realize I'd stopped paying attention. If I'm watching summer Olympic games, the events I pay most attention to involve running or diving or swimming. If my husband shows an interest in some particular sport or event, I make an effort to pay attention so that we both can talk about it.

I've longed to visit, say, acrobatic performers during practice, to get tethered to their bungie cords and just jump up and down crazily doing flips off of an awesomely bouncy trampoline. It's like a fantasy of mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like ballroom dancing, yoga, rock climbing, and ultimate frisbee (this is my favorite). At one point I did gymnastics and I liked it, but stuff came up and I couldn't do it anymore after awhile. The only sports I can stand to watch on tv are figure skating and gymnastics, otherwise I'm insanely bored.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
golf looks like a game that I would like a lot.. never got a chance to play :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to play pool when I was a youngster, but now the only thing remotely close to sport is trying to beat my own rubik cube solving record.

I find that most sports are arbitrary and contrived in their competitive manners and mainly serves to waste and pass by time.

Now if for the reason of physical fitness, I do bodybuilding, but that's not really a sport.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i play basketball, football, volleyball, badminton, handball, swimming, beer pong, mma, soccer, track, but the sport i love most and would only play forever is tennis!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ride horses. Mainly dressage. The interaction between the animal and the human is fascinating.

Recently I've been increasingly interested in harness racing, too.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The interaction between the animal and the human is fascinating.
I am not a fan of riding horses, and really have no more than a few negative experiences with them. I always felt sorry for them. Do you feel that horses like to be ridden?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you feel that horses like to be ridden?
Yes, maybe not all, but I know many horses who get excited when they know they're going to be ridden. They open their mouth for the bit without asking, prance while you put the saddle on, and over all just excited to have a job. There are probably some horses who'd rather just hang out in a pasture all day, but then there are some who want to work. They will figure out ways to open gates, untie knots, open bags/boxes up, take off other horse's halters. The list goes on and on. They want a job.

BTW, if a horse truly didn't want you riding them they would find a way to get you off. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, maybe not all, but I know many horses who get excited when they know they're going to be ridden. They open their mouth for the bit without asking, prance while you put the saddle on, and over all just excited to have a job. There are probably some horses who'd rather just hang out in a pasture all day, but then there are some who want to work. They will figure out ways to open gates, untie knots, open bags/boxes up, take off other horse's halters. The list goes on and on. They want a job.

BTW, if a horse truly didn't want you riding them they would find a way to get you off. lol
Yep, seconded. I do have a certain amount of experience of the last part...

Plus, the tack and the riding techniques are constantly being developed to be more horse-friendly. At least here in Scandinavia equipment like bitless bridles and treeless saddles have become very popular.

The most important factor is of course the rider. There are good riders... and there are bad ones.

To Alima: The forum won't let me send PMs, my post count is too low, lol. I'll reply as soon as I can :laughing:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The most important factor is of course the rider. There are good riders... and there are bad ones.

To Alima: The forum won't let me send PMs, my post count is too low, lol. I'll reply as soon as I can :laughing:
Yes, you should treat horses with respect.
They need to know that you're the leader and that you deserve respect, but as the rider you need to respect the horse as well.

Oh, sorry! lol I'm new here as well, so I'm still learning all the little details. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm really scared or disrespecting of horses, but I really just don't see the appeal. But I'm a city person with little interest in nature. Cats are much simpler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ultimate frisbee is my sport of choice. All the fun of soccer & football without the physical contact, and learning to master all of the different throws is stimulating. Strategy-wise, there is a lot to learn as well when playing at the higher levels, and I've also coached high school teams, which has it's own set of challenges & rewards.

And one of the most satisfying things about Ultimate is that the players form a community unlike any I've ever encountered in another sport. When you play tournaments regularly or play in the same league year after year, you get to know everyone who shares the same passion, and the nature of the game is such that rivalries usually fall by the wayside once the games are done for the day & it's time to hang out & BS. It's great!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Soccer and Martial Arts mostly.

In this forum we have quite a few people that are freakish good at sports from what I've read in other threads.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts