Personality Cafe banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I used to ride horses and do a little show jumping, but I gave it up after I fell out with my instructor. In a nutshell, I was trying to work on being more delicate with the horses, but the instructor kept putting me with a pony who I was just too big for and was generally quite unresponsive. It was also getting way too expensive, and given I wasn't enjoying it at the time, I gave it up.

I also made it to Brown Belt in Karate when I was much younger. I wouldn't have even made it that far if my parents had just accepted that I really hated it. "You're okay when you get there" they used to say. Bullshit. I lost my passion for it when I hit Blue and learning new things descending into pointlessly repeating the same actions over and over again until my fist was 2cm lower.

I don't do any sport at the moment. I'm not very good at it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Wii Sports.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts
Growing up: Soccer and basketball.
High school: Cross country, wrestling, track
College: Cross country, track, intramural Ultimate Frisbee

I don't really do competitive sports anymore, although I still work out.

Ultimate frisbee is my sport of choice. All the fun of soccer & football without the physical contact, and learning to master all of the different throws is stimulating. Strategy-wise, there is a lot to learn as well when playing at the higher levels, and I've also coached high school teams, which has it's own set of challenges & rewards.

And one of the most satisfying things about Ultimate is that the players form a community unlike any I've ever encountered in another sport. When you play tournaments regularly or play in the same league year after year, you get to know everyone who shares the same passion, and the nature of the game is such that rivalries usually fall by the wayside once the games are done for the day & it's time to hang out & BS. It's great!
I loved ultimate! Out strategy was simple yet effective. I could run faster and jump higher than anyone on the field. Get a couple guys who could throw well, and a few other speedsters to rotate in, then run the other team into the ground.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
In the past, I've been involved in swimming, water polo, basketball, and volleyball. However, I've redirected my focus towards my job and school and cut all ties with competitive sports.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What if you want to ask someone's plan or schedule of what sport he or she plays(does, practices?) on a certain day?

Suppose you know someone plays(does, practices?) a different sport each day of the week and that you want to know what sport he or she plays(does, practices?) on a certain day, let's say, on Monday.
How would you ask it?

Would you say "What sport do you play on Monday via?" or would you use another verb? I would like to know what verb native speakers would use, besides "enjoy."

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
538 Posts
I used to do swimming when I was younger, until I beat all of the swimming levels.
I felt accomplished enough with that, so I now usually just swim casually.
I also got lazy, and instead wanted to focus on research on various topics.

I now practice Muay Thai.
I’m not very skilled at it, but I know enough where I could put up a fight.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I would like to know what verb native speakers would use, besides "enjoy."
interesting question. fwiw, i would NOT say 'enjoy' for any of them - it's a sort of meaningless word, because enjoying is not actually the action/activity you're referring to. enjoying means getting pleasure from something. so you can do the sport without enjoying it.

for instance, the public service announcement 'please enjoy responsibly' from the government really means 'don't drink and drive.'

for your question though: the right verb depends on the sport. you play some sports but you do others, unfortunately. and then there's a third group where the name of the activity is also the verb. These are my thoughts:

1. i think 'play' is for anything that we'd call a game. a game is usually competitive - i.e. there's at least one other person involved. and often some kind of object. tennis, cricket, football, frisbee . . . all these are things that you'd play.

2. on the other hand, i think you 'do' non-western martial arts. nobody would say 'when do you play judo'. people say 's/he does karate'.

3. i think you might be safe if you use the verb itself any time the noun for the activity ends in 'ing'. for instance, running, lifting, boxing, cycling, wrestling, swimming . . . those are all things where 'do ...ing' would be a little bit odd to a native speaker. 'what day do you run/lift/box/cycle/wrestle?' questions. or even more commonly people phrase it like 'what day do you GO lifting/running/riding/swimming'.

finally: in most cases, you can kind of avoid having to think about most of this by saying 'when is your [name of activity day]?' 'monday is judo day'. 'tuesdays are running.' 'i have tennis on fridays'. this is more informal so it's fine for conversation. in more formal written speech you might want to try and work out which of hte other ways of saying it would be correct.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts