Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always identified as an INTP. When I first discovered MBTI, this is the first description that I came across: An INTP Profile. It confirmed test results that I consistently replicate to this day, and it resonates with me in almost every appreciable way; I clearly little reason to doubt my type at this point.

Personality theory has never interested me a great deal in and of itself. Really, I got into it simply because I hoped to discover others similar to myself. To say that I've felt out of place in this world would be the understatement of the century, and, with varying degrees of success over a number of years, I've found a number of individuals with whom, on the whole, I do relate fairly well (comparatively speaking, at least), and with whom I apparently share MBTI type as an INTP.

I've recently begun to identify with other types, however, and as my understanding of personality theory expanded incident to exploration on forums and the like, I find myself drawn to a confluence of attributes and functions represented by no single type.

I've considered INFJ as a possibility, for example, since I relate with its descriptions and with INFJ's I've encountered online quite a bit. Until now, however, I've been largely dismissive of this possibility due to negligible Fe and because I've identified as INTP for so long. (really, I just don't do Fe).

The more that I thought about it, though, I found myself continually drawn back to the realization that every type among the viable options that remain (INXX, at this point) exhibits at least one major shortcoming which gives me pause. To make a long story short, I ultimately decided to take a function test in search of greater clarity as to just what is going on:

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)
******************* (19.5) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si)
*************************** (27.3) average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.5) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)
********************************** (34.2) good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.4) average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************** (46.5) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)
**** (4.1) lol
introverted Feeling (Fi)
******************************************* (43.5) excellent use

Wtf?

Edit: For what it's worth, I am unquestionably an enneagram type five.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Well the Fe being so low is very suspicious. But I'd say you're probably an INTP based on those results. A Fi-dom's Thinking would probably not be so high and your overall preferences seem to be T-N-S-F (if we consider the high Fi-score an outlier).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like this video was in response to a question from @Neurasthenia. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Fi conundrum.
Yes, that video was in response to a question of mine.

And I am fairly sure you are an INTP. I used to score really high for Fi. I am quite tired right now, so this won't be so eloquent, but basically I have a feeling that a Ti user can misunderstand some Fi questions as pertaining to their Ti dealings with emotions. I understand that Ti is very rational and takes apart emotions in an attempt to understand them, but I have had the experience of thinking deeply about my feelings in a way that could perhaps look like Fi on a cognitive functions test when I am not completely clear on their differences.

Does that make any sense? I'm feeling remarkably lazy right now...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that video was in response to a question of mine.

And I am fairly sure you are an INTP. I used to score really high for Fi. I am quite tired right now, so this won't be so eloquent, but basically I have a feeling that a Ti user can misunderstand some Fi questions as pertaining to their Ti dealings with emotions. I understand that Ti is very rational and takes apart emotions in an attempt to understand them, but I have had the experience of thinking deeply about my feelings in a way that could perhaps look like Fi on a cognitive functions test when I am not completely clear on their differences.

Does that make any sense? I'm feeling remarkably lazy right now...
It makes complete sense. And I feel remarkably lazy all the time, so no worries there.

Uncertainty is what prompted me to take the test in the first place, though, so I feel like I'm sort of back to where I started. I'm probably just overthinking this, as usual . . . .

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It makes complete sense. And I feel remarkably lazy all the time, so no worries there.

Uncertainty is what prompted me to take the test in the first place, though, so I feel like I'm sort of back to where I started. I'm probably just overthinking this, as usual . . . .
And what do INTPs do better than over-think things? ;)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I think INTPs thinking they use Fi goes to show how much they don't truly understand the function (they really, truly don't and if they do, it would most definitely be a perversion of anything remotely similar to Fi in the dominant form due to being super, super negative and self-defeating - the 8th function is essentially the "ego suicide" option of all of the functions (more of a complex rather than a function), so go figure). I should make a thread about what Fi is not, because it sure as hell seems to get equated with a whole host of idealistic things that it isn't (e.g. appreciating having feelings - LOL! Gimme a break, who doesn't appreciate having feelings (that proves that a person can function healthily and isn't lobotomized)? For the billionth time, the feeling functions are not emotions, nor is Fi one's personal belief system).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts