Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening!

this is one hell of a short notice but quite frankly i'm kind of desperate by now.
my birthday - the 18th one, which is why the whole thing is effing complicated in the first place - is in just two days; well, i have about two days to plan for it since it's around 1am and my birthday is on the 27th. due to people cancelling for the usual plan - get together with around twelve people, talk, play some games, have a bbq, maybe go to the beach and watch a movie later - i found myself with nothing to do for the 'special' occasion that is my entrance into adulthood. supposed to be, anyways.

thing being that i didn't care about this 'special day' until just a few weeks ago - birthdays are nice, sure enough, but there's no reason to make it one hell of a deal. yeah, i turn 18 which is like the big 21 here, but i don't drink nor can i purchase my driver's license yet nor will i be doing anything that i'm not doing already. so why fuss about it? but people did their best to convince me that i'd need to celebrate this bigbig day; my family and my friends acting shocked when i told them i'd spend the day sleeping and eating some cake just because i could.
and now, thanks to them, i can't go back to not caring.
and it's driving me effing i n s a n e.

but of course they're not much help when it comes to actually making plans for the day - do i postpone the original plan? but what should i do on the 27th then?
i want it to be special, but small. with just my best friend? alone? with my closest friends? and what can i do that isn't too expensive and available on short notice?

any ideas are appreciated - seriously, anything.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Welcome to PerC

I left for Military Service on the day of my 18th birthday, so I'm probably not the best one to ask... but I might be the 1st to respond.

You should do something that you enjoy. Do it for yourself, not for other people.

I'd set aside some time for reflection on where you want to be on your 21st birthday, and then make plans to get there. Despite what the law says, you still have a lot more "growing up" to do before you are an adult. You have the energy and enthusiasm to do whatever you want. Don't wait for it to come to you... you can go out and make it yours.

Enjoy your 18th Birthday

:kitteh:

-ZDD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not at all worrying that I'm not even using my mothertongue for swears and 'bless you' anymore. Nope. Not at all.
Well, anywho, thank you so so much for your answer!
I love your way of seeing it, concentrating on the future - I'm well aware that I won't magically turn into an adult (besides the legal stuff, obviously) just because there'll be 18 candles on my cake. I'm not sure I'll ever use the term 'adult' to describe myself non-ironically, and I don't think I ever want to.

I'd still like a soft shove in the direction of what to do on the day itself - I can't really let it pass, as I said earlier. Any ideas for that, specific ones maybe? :3

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Well, whatever you do, don't feel pressured to make other people happy by doing anything they say. It's a trap that ESFJ's fall into.... always trying to please others. They probably mean well, but make your own judgment if something is a good idea or not.

-ZDD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried that for weeks now - first it was people convincing me to make a big deal out of it and then it was the stress of pleasing everyone, inviting everyone in order to not let anyone down even though it's mostly people who've let me down repeatedly during the past few months.
I'm actually getting excited for the day now - as in, good excited. I'll try to enjoy it, because after all, it's my day, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts