Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Usually there are friends and then there are "known people" who you know them from college, gym, residence area...etc.

Now the thing is, when I enter the gym, a lot of people are looking at me and when I return the look they greet me with a Hi or similar.

Sometimes it feels uncomfortable to match all the eyes to tell them HI.

But also, I feel like a douchebag when I completly ignore their presence.

How do you cope with this dilemma?

EDIT:

Fuck, I even remember I was living in some wierd country in europe and in the gym everyone shakes hands when they enter the gym, even if you are a stranger. So people use to come and shake my hand, and when I use to enter the gym I could notice 20 eyes on me.

Fucking uncomfortable. So wierd, I'd get all anxious.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Usually there are friends and then there are "known people" who you know them from college, gym, residence area...etc.

Now the thing is, when I enter the gym, a lot of people are looking at me and when I return the look they greet me with a Hi or similar.

Sometimes it feels uncomfortable to match all the eyes to tell them HI.

But also, I feel like a douchebag when I completly ignore their presence.

How do you cope with this dilemma?

EDIT:

Fuck, I even remember I was living in some wierd country in europe and in the gym everyone shakes hands when they enter the gym, even if you are a stranger. So people use to come and shake my hand, and when I use to enter the gym I could notice 20 eyes on me.

Fucking uncomfortable. So wierd, I'd get all anxious.
Stop worrying about what others want or expect from you. Be yourself, if you find it uncomfortable then don't greet everyone, so what if some think your ignorant, you know different, and that's all that counts. Can't live your life to everyones expectations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
hmm, as much as you have to be yourself, i think it won't hurt to just smile, let them know that you are feel welcomed (maybe). then again, if i were in your shoes, such invasion to my personal space will turned me off and made me stay away from such place :p

well, i'll say look for another place, try to come up with alternative, and consider whether you really need to go there. i'll go with @Loaf for this one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I typically ignore approval seeking behavior. I just couldn't be bothered. I think it's the non-chalant IDGAF vibe I generally put out. I'm not completely apathetic though. I'm the most positive apathetic person you'll ever meet. I'll tell you IDGAF, but I'll do it with a smile so you won't feel bad about it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just say whats up or something when i'm near them. if they are across the gym i don't go out of my way, neither do they.

I don't care what is expected of me at all. I only make the effort with people who peak my interest and turn out to be good people to talk to and workout with. i only approach these people.

I talk to a lot of people at my gym though, usually when we are working near each other. I tend to talk only to the more serious guys who are more power-lifting oriented but i talk to a lot of other people too. anyone serious about it.

The people who are less serious and start to get on my nerves with things i just gradually end up talking to less and it devolves into a simple hello, like most things in life.

Sometimes i just don't feel like talking and sometimes they don't either.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Fe kicks in and I'll smile and wave back. After that people tend to lose interest. After that I am free to scowl and curse them in my head.

·
Read Only
88 Posts
Fuck, I relate to this. It's so much more comfortable for me when I am "invisible" and do my own thing. When THIS starts happening, I start to overanalyze every glance, then I have to remind myself that I need to relax. There is nothing wrong with saying hi though :)
Props for you, maybe you should open your own gym or become a trainer or something.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Yeah I get what your saying formalities kinda blow.

I some how seem to manage to get by without generally doing them. Cant speak for you but for me the key is just not making eye contact always seems to work well. Or just a general nod seems to usually suffice while then proceeding with what I am doing. Might I just suggest that if you get overly involved with whatever it is your doing period in life people tend to not take it as personal when they can plainly see that your just intensely involved in whatever it is your doing. I guess that's what gets me by, tunnel vision in that regard. I like head phones for those environments. A general smirk or nod usually works and then just get in your zone.

Yeah I was just thinking anytime I go to my kids after school activities or dance stuff, or whatever like that in the community I wear head phones a lot. Basically makes it really easy to not have to cut thru the small talk bs or bother. Pretty sure I may come off like a bitch but who cares.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well, I don't think most people would consider this a dilemma in the first place. It sounds like a social anxiety thing or something.

If people smile and say hi I just smile and say hi back. It's not a big deal. It'd be weirder not to. It's people who keep trying to converse after saying hi that make things uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah, i think you are simply overthinking things a bit OP.
That Fe inferior will kick your ass if you let it. ti will start going crazy along side it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, i think you are simply overthinking things a bit OP.
That Fe inferior will kick your ass if you let it. ti will start going crazy along side it.
Yup. Tell me about it. When overthinking Fe makes me seek approval. Thanks to embracing Se lately I'm feeling like God.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Upward nod if I know you.

Downward nod if I don't.

Think about it. You know you do it too, and you didn't even realize you were doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.