Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may end up being very long and is my first post, so enjoy my rambling if you want.. also I'm not the best at english so please bare with my grammar and all that.

I am about to complete my first year at community college and I cannot decide what I want to do. I love learning about all the different sciences because of how they all relate. I know I want to discover or do something no one else has for the better of the world but I don't know what. Maybe I'm being to ambitious. I do very well in math, but I have to get back into it because I was very lazy in high school, took a break from it senior year and didn't take it my first year here at college. In high school classes all I had to do was listen to the teacher and I would get at least a B, when I tried I got A's but like I said I was lazy.

Quick run through of my grade school experience- I moved here to Southern California in 5th grade and hung out with the cool kids but they were assholes and I didn't understand/realize how they affected me. Middle School I stated hanging out with new friends who played a lot of video games. My best friend introduced me to the group who is a INTJ, and we became best friends. His reasoning, I found out a little bit ago, was I "was the only one who didn't look like a stupid moron," haha this being 7th grade pe. We pretty much played video games until senior year, then we started hanging out with other people. HUGE transition to learning all the stupid social rules and dealing with extroverted and feeling people. Now I'm still getting adjusted but I feel like my INTJ friend and I are one up with everyone we meet. I guess I'm an introvert hiding behind a mask of extroversion, but when I'm acting extroverted I sometimes come across to people like I'm some dumb stoner. When I get caught up in my thoughts and not being able to carry a conversation people have always accused me of being a fryball stoner since everyone learned about it.. But now I'm getting quicker and have adapted much and still have a ways to go to be perfect when I have my mask on. Once I do perfect it, oh my, that's when life will be even easier!

Recently the past year I've started to play piano and read. I used to not read because I always thought it was boring but now I'm reading books I enjoy, and it's amazing how someone can get lost in one. Anyone have any book suggestions? Right now I'm reading Atlas Shrugged and it's magnificent.

My interests are in Philosophy, Physics, Astronomy, Math, Engineering, Anthropology, Psychology, and Music. I live in Southern California so I also have an interest in Spanish but just for the sake of being able to converse with a spanish speaker, Oceanography because I live two miles from my second home being the beach, and automotive technology because I drive a vw bus and would rather fix it myself than to take to some mechanic who I feel is ripping me off every time.

My problem is I want to study it all. Physics, Astronomy, Math and Engineering seem to all tie together easiest. I just want to create something that makes everyone lives easier in this aspect.

Not to be conceited, or some other word that works better, but I am very attractive male and I feel like with my looks and my brains I could make a huge difference somehow in this world, especially politics. I see all these charismatic but dumb politicians and it makes me sad what our country is coming to. What happened to the presidents and other politicians who were some combination of authors, political theorists, politicians, scientists, inventors, civic activists, statesmen, and diplomats?

Maybe I should be president haha.. or a polymath of some sort. The problem here is getting the education. At community college there are some very well educated professors but they only teach to a certain level and I am not sure if they would teach me all what they know outside of class, or would they and to what degree? To get as much education as I can/want I see a university as the only path, but due to my lack of money I could only study a certain area with some minor(s). I'm fine with learning things on my own through books and other texts but learning through lectures is so much easier, and I'm under the impression you need to possess degree to be seen with any intelligence you have.

I may even just open up my own business. I have a few ideas which I know will do exceptionally well. This is very appealing to me because I'd be my own boss, my own hours, and if it goes really well I would barely have to work. These is just some other idea though. If worst comes to worst I'll go into business and become some executive but this is my last resort like I knock up a girl somehow and need to get my life on track fast..

If anything I am going to be at community college for at least two more years learning about my current interests. I just felt like posting on here, maybe someone could provide me with some insight, or how they relate and the path they ended up taking. Feel free to correct anything I have wrong about anything I mentioned, I don't like having bad information..

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have two suggestions for you. The first is to take the Enneagram quiz - it might help you sort out what you want out of your life in terms that you're not consciously using yet. Comprehensive Enneagram Quiz Pay particular attention to the last three questions.

The other suggestion is maybe to go to a college where you're more challenged. It'll help you to narrow your interests by more precisely testing your aptitude. You'll do the best in the classes you're most interested in because you'll be more motivated to do the work for those classes. As well, if you have a natural aptitude for something, you're likely to be more useful to society by pursuing that. When you're challenged, your aptitude and your interests make themselves more apparent.

You've kind of fallen into the INTP trap of wanting to know everything but not necessarily wanting to do anything with your knowledge. The most obvious fit for you, in my opinion, is for you to go to college for 10 years and be an academic teaching in a university while doing research. It basically gets you paid to be curious, as long as you're a good enough communicator that you can share your knowledge with other people in a relatable way. And it's not necessarily bad for such people to have multiple interests, as there's a lot of practicality in the ability to connect fields together. I'm a musician, and musicians depend on physics all the time, but not many of us really understand acoustics the way we should. Someone interested in both music and physics would be uniquely qualified to teach a course on acoustics for musicians. In music and psychology you could teach a course on performance anxiety. Interpretation of music is also incredibly dependent upon history, so an expert on Nazism could offer a more informed perspective on Wagner's arguable Antisemitism. Your kind of curiosity can be very useful in a lecturing/researching position.

I will say, though, that you really should pick a focus. You can get hired in less time by being an expert of one thing, and you can become an expert of more things once you have that job, and therefore become increasingly valuable. If you try to be an expert in 3 things at once, it could take you 3 times as long to be qualified enough in a particular area to get the same job. As well, as you learn about one thing in more depth, it'll make it easier to look at another field in similar depth in less time. I guarantee you not all of Mathematics will be interesting to you, but you don't know all of Mathematics yet, so you may not have experienced that. When you do, you'll be able to look at Philosophy and recognize more quickly which parts of it aren't interesting, so you won't have to waste your time researching it. If you like Aquinas you may not like Augustine, even though they're both extremely influential Christian Theologians. When you know something in depth, you'll be able to recognize "subjects which are applicable to other subjects" rather than just "subjects that you don't really know anything about, but are conceptual enough in nature that you enjoy thinking about them."

And really that's what your undergrad is for, particularly if you're going somewhere that emphasizes a liberal arts perspective. You don't have to know all of this now, but it IS beneficial to know sooner rather than later. Therefore, go take that Enneagram test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts