Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a female, 19 years of age and am in a somewhat confused but otherwise happy state of mind.
Currently I am in the process of becoming a student at University, and am moving into my first rental property in a new state. While I perceive this to be a slightly stressful time, it shouldn't have too much influence on my answers.

2. Please describe yourself as a person. What kind of person are you and why?

I enjoy listening to and sharing ideas with people, and am very empathetic and often touched by their stories or experiences. However, if a person shares their negative emotions with me too often I feel overwhelmed and trapped. The friendships I cherish the most are with people who have a carefree attitude, can engage in meaningful conversations and also do not contact me often.
At times I feel as if I am lagging behind the rest of the world as I place value on everything I do, write and say. Eg. I was always late to lunch because I wanted to write a perfect paragraph, and I'm usually close to the last to finish examinations.

Generally I see myself as a person who wants to enjoy life, and looks toward inner values to determine how to do that.

3. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I wouldn't mind having a better grasp on my surroundings. Too many times I have lost my phone, wallet, keys and other important items because I simply to not pay attention to what is happening outside of my thoughts. I'd also like to know how to read maps without getting someone lost, and be less doubtful of my actions.
Basically, I would like to be myself with a few practical upgrades and a bit more confidence.

The kind of person I would not want to be...
  • Without the ability to empathize with and understand other people.
  • A person who follows society and does not act as themselves.
  • Someone who would upset another person to benefit themselves.
  • Someone who does not see the beauty in life, and is constantly unhappy or serious.
  • Lost of dreams, working in an area they don't want to be in.
  • Without personal values or expectations.

4. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself in question 2 and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

There is a difference between who I think I am and how other people see me.

When I was in transition (prep) my teacher contacted my parents regarding the fact that I barely spoke to my classmates. She asked them if I had a disorder that she should know about. My parents informed her that I was simply shy, and that at home they 'could not get me to shut up'.

Isn't it strange that shyness is somewhat frowned upon in society? And that a 'loud' personality is encouraged?

Throughout the years I adapted to the expectations of my peers, forced myself out of a shell and eventually became close to the opposite of who I was (in terms of shyness). Currently my friends and acquaintances see me as a person who finds it easy to make friends, does not struggle to find something to talk about, is very social and talks a lot. However, I do not think it is easy to do these things and it makes me tired to pretend that I am someone who I am not. Having always wanted to portray my true personality to those around me, this mask of 'social comfort' conflicts with my personal values. I have only recently understood that this mask is not part of my true personality, and is only there to make those around me feel more comfortable.

5. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

10 Values:

• Empathy
  • Truth
  • Individuality
  • Tranquility
  • Intuition
  • Growth
  • Open-mindedness
  • Youthfulness
  • Passion
  • Imagination

6. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

When I am in an extremely stressful situation it's close to impossible for me not to let my frustrations show. I tend to be overwhelmed by emotions, and as a result my judgement is clouded. An example of a stressful experience for me occurred at work. I was the only person working at the counter during rush hour, the line was building and the customer I was serving was furious. I could not find his parcel because it had been placed on the wrong shelf. I told him that I would ask my co-worker where it was when they came back from their break and would give him a call. He insisted that I keep searching for it. After quite some time my patience was tested and I put on a believable facade of politeness and happiness. It broke, I let out a sigh and later received a complaint about it.

7. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

Life is an enjoyable situation most of the time, and consequently I cannot think of many examples.
I do tend to make loud happy noises and dance around the house though frequently.

8. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I've had group conversations that have been just as thought-provoking as one-on-one interaction. I perceive each depending on the topic of discussion and how well I can relate to the people involved in the conversation. If it is a conversation (not small talk) with a group of people sharing their perspectives on religion, politics, psychology..etc then I rather enjoy it. One-on-one interaction has a depth that is regularly missing from group interaction, and can be more worthwhile.

9. Describe your relationship to societal structure norms and authority. What do they mean to you and how do you deal with them?

I understand that social norms are a culmination of widely respected views and consequently need to be respected. Some are highly outdated and need to be replaced with new systems, and some people just aren't suited to positions of authority. I would not act out against an authoritative figure, and I believe that rules are set in place for a decent reason. I think of rules as values that society is expected to adapt to for the sake of their safety and the consideration of others.
I'm also greatly disturbed by conflict. The thought of conflict arising from acting out in the eyes of an authority figure is daunting *shudder*

10. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I can't keep my room clean for longer than a week. I don't place much concern on the state of my room until it becomes difficult to walk around in. I think there are better ways to spend my time alone than worrying about my surroundings. On the other hand.... my work desk is always tidy and I am excited by the thought of organisational and repetitive tasks. I enjoy contributing towards having a functional working space.

The majority of the time my thoughts are more in order than my surroundings. When I make a decision I think it through thoroughly by gathering as much information as I can and imagining all of the possible scenarios that could arise due to my decision. I do this to ensure that I have made the best decision possible. I am rather indecisive and cautious but when I make a decision it is final.

11. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you?

I value the few close relationships that I have and couldn't bear to be the reason for their sadness. I see myself as an honest, trustworthy, dependable person and these values aren't clear in my close relationships then ... well, I'm not who I say I am.

Eg. I always had trouble expressing myself in a situation where conflict could arise, and would not share my opinion if I knew it was going to upset someone. During these situations I would write letters to my parents because I psychically could not speak.

Disappointing people results in conflict which leads to a loss of self identity for me.

12. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I desire tranquility, harmonious relationships and happiness. I strive to maintain my inner values and gain a further understanding of myself. I'd like to continue to see the world with some form of child-like enthusiasm. I also long to find alternative ways of approaching and crafting theatre that will puzzle audiences, causing them to question their own actions and ways of thinking. My drive for theatre stems from an interest in human behavior.

13. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I am energized by reading a book, dancing, singing, acting, laying down on a bed, learning something new and sharing information with people.

I feel drained when I am sitting in a chair, engaging in small talk, at large social gatherings, carrying out mundane every day tasks.

14. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know yourenneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I usually test as an INFP but have also tested as an ENFP or INFJ.
Enneagram is 9w1.

Fi>Fe>Ne>Se>Ni>Si>Ti>Te according to my last test.

15. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

No, not really. It took me several hours and a lot of introspection to complete this. Perhaps the sheer determination to complete this tonight instead of returning in the morning might indicate my type.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty dyslexic-like and typing some words backwards due to being tired.

Good night Personality Cafe.

And I apologize for the phrasing, poor word choice and general lack of decent answers towards the end. I'm awfully sleepy and hope that you guys will forgive me. :p

<3 hearts and thanks to any one who decides to reply.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Either you have portrayed yourself on purpose like that or you truly are that but to me you seem very clearly what you think yourself too, INFP. If you are Enneagram 9, your 1 wing is strong.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to portray myself honestly :)
Thank you for your feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts