Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some people do not like to be analysed, some get a score on an on-line test and go with that no matter what, some can never really decide, others do not pay enough attention, or don't "believe in" type, or cannot see how it is useful. What about your family members? Have you ever tried to type them?

My sister is in the camp of "the score says I'm this type, so there is no need to question it." She, by the way, wears mostly black shirts, used to read a lot of romance novels, owns a copy of Avatar, and plays WOW religiously. She won't discuss her type with me because she doesn't believe that there is a better way to know one's type other than the test score...

:unsure:

·
Registered
782 Posts
mom ESFJ, brother EXFJ, dad ISXJ, me INTJ

Reactions: INXX

·
Registered
26 Posts
My father is most definitely ISF, but I can't decide on the J or P. My mother is an ExFP. My brother is INTP. I consider myself an INFJ.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say for sure what types they are, but i am certain that the Females in my house all have J, while the males have P
Interesting. I think my father was a P and my mother possibly a J. I think my sister is a P and my brother a J. Of course P/J doesn't explain a whole lot unless you know what the dominant trait is I guess.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
mom ISTJ, dad ISTP, brother ISTJ, me INFP :crazy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone ever tried to type someone who doesn't want to know their type? How much do you think that you can you tell about them by observing them?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
My mom is an INFJ and my dad is an ISTJ. My younger sister is an INTJ. I have a little sister, but I'm not quite sure of her yet :mellow:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Interesting. I think my father was a P and my mother possibly a J. I think my sister is a P and my brother a J. Of course P/J doesn't explain a whole lot unless you know what the dominant trait is I guess.
For my mum and dad its clear cut, My Dad is I, my mum is more likely to be ESTJ than anything else, and one of my older sisters. For the rest of us, i think we shuffle between E/I, for me..its definitely I.
My mum always says i'm like my dad, so if i'm INFJ, my dad would be INFP 70%
my only brother is either ENXP or ISXP

Funny, now that i try to type them, i realise how much i miss them..:sad:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Missing Family

For my mum and dad its clear cut, My Dad is I, my mum is more likely to be ESTJ than anything else, and one of my older sisters. For the rest of us, i think we shuffle between E/I, for me..its definitely I.
My mum always says i'm like my dad, so if i'm INFJ, my dad would be INFP 70%
my only brother is either ENXP or ISXP

Funny, now that i try to type them, i realise how much i miss them..:sad:
Awww, I know what you mean. However, I would probably miss them less if we were in the same country. Well duh. But you know what I mean, distance does make the heart grow fonder I suppose.

I'm in a real family mood right now. My son is visiting, and earlier I went outside, then came back in and revelled in the contented family atmosphere---the fragrance of supper recently finished, everyone having supped, relaxed, and enjoying a quiet evening at home, a hug from my husband. I will miss our son when he goes. Though we would drive each other spare if we still lived in the same house, I've asked him to try to live near us when he finishes school!
:happy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
As for typing people by observation: That may be possible, but it depends on how you go about it.
I'd probably start off by trying to guess what their four letter type code might be. That wouldn't be very definite, though. The next thing would be to look at cognitive functions, if you're familiar with those. For instance, I think if someone just observed my dad basically, they might see P rather than J. But he's definitely Si-dom. Therefore he's an ISTJ and not an ISTP.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I'm not completely sure about this, but eeh...

Grandmother: INFJ
Mom: ISFJ
Oldest brother: ESTP
Oldest sister: ENFP or ENFJ
Other older sister: ESFP
Younger brother: ESTP
Nephews: ESTP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are they like?

mom- isfp
dad- esfj
sister- esfj
sister-enfj
uncle- entp
cousin- entp

that's all i know right now.
Hi Fran,

You say your uncle and cousin are ENTP. Would you mind saying what they are like in the main? It would be interesting to compare real life ENTPs with the label...

Thanks, INXX

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was once reading for fun type descriptions for other types than my own because I wanted to know what sort of descriptions there are and do other people really differ so much and while reading those description I realized that "this is exactly like my mom" and "this is my dad" and that's how I came to know my parents' types.

I think you know someone pretty well if you live with them 20 years. If you want to type someone I think it requires that you know that person well. But it also helps if you know someone of the same type so you can search for similarity or difference so you can precise the typing. There's no doubt both of my parents are introverts. Then I think about the careers they've chosen and how they live their life in overall.

For example my mom is a teacher or a headmaster actually nowadays. She teaches math but when she was younger she also thought that she could teach domestic science or go to med school but she chose teaching math. She was a secretary in her student organization and even when she was a little girl she took care of her grandmother even though many of the older relatives didn't. She's very hard-working and I remember that when I was a child she was either at work or at home doing work. And after she finished working she started to do housework. She made food every day for us. Cooking was her hobby and she did really good food. She was very strict and demanding of me but in a loving way. However she has tendency towards alcohol abuse. -> ISFJ

My dad spent his youth mostly hanging around with his friends. He met my mother in the student organization but unlike my mom he didn't have any real position there and he was just hanging around... again. He studied computer programming but he has been on a disability pension for the last 20 years so nowadays he just hangs around at home taking care of our two dogs. He likes mind games and such and he has a bunch of friends with whom he engage in those things. He has routines which he follows everyday and he becomes very angry if someone obstructs those routines. He has never got involved in my life and we seldom talk. He's often quiet yet he often says the most funniest one-liners I've ever heard. -> ISTP

... Why the fuck did I write so much? I'm going to be late from my appointment because this post just started to swell and I forgot that time was running :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
My father is ENFP
Mom is maybe ESFP, haven't typed her but I'm sure about the ESF :)
My younger sister is ENFJ
My other younger sister is ESFP
and i think my younger brother is ISTJ

I'm INFP and i love my family :)

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Mum: ISFJ (evil)
Dad: ENFP (useless)
older sister: ISTJ (one of the best people I know)
younger sister: ENFJ (when she is good, she is very very good, and when she is bad, she is horrid)
2 cats: ISFP & ENTP :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mum: ENTJ Super organised and efficient company director. Was always away from home a lot working but very caring really.

Dad: ISFP The quiet, artistic type - he's a musician. Could never get him to agree to any plans beforehand, eg if on holiday he would never commit to taking us to a certain place on a certain day - leaves everything up in the air until the last possible second.

Younger brother: ESTP Does whatever he likes, voices opinions vociferously, ran up huge debts while living at my address then left without giving forwarding address and said the bailiffs calling at MY house "weren't a problem." Of course they weren't - for him!!! Very popular with people who don't have to clear up his messes and is always invited or finds out about any party going.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts