Votes: 4 16.7%
  • ESFP

Votes: 1 4.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
My mother is ENFJ.
My father is ISTx. I have a hard time determining whether he is Si-Te or Ti-Se, but I learn towards ISTP as my guess for him.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ESTP dad (like Han Solo)
ISFP mom (like Joan Baez)

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you care, creep?
Curiosity, simpleton.

Also, to confirm my hunch that most people here have sensor parents, specifically SJ parents. This is confirmed by the poll results (so far). I have a hunch that a lot of the sensor bias may originate from having SJ parents and feeling like they don’t understand you, are so different from you, give you no freedom, etc.

I wanted to open up the eyes of the community here to see where this bias could have originated from.

·
Registered
746 Posts
ESTJ: father

ISFJ: mother

·
Registered
761 Posts
Curiosity, simpleton.

Also, to confirm my hunch that most people here have sensor parents, specifically SJ parents. This is confirmed by the poll results (so far). I have a hunch that a lot of the sensor bias may originate from having SJ parents and feeling like they don’t understand you, are so different from you, give you no freedom, etc.

I wanted to open up the eyes of the community here to see where this bias could have originated from.
I'm skeptical about this. I believe the sensor bias comes from an attempt to simplify cognitive functions. The theory is hard to comprend fully, people creating MBTI websites won't put the whole analysis of the theory, they would simply reduce it in order to make it easier to understand. However, readers are prone to have a limited and reductive understanding of cognitive functions at first. Then, some people who believe they're Intuitives might try to justify their type according to this incomplete understanding (eg, "I'm creative, I must be N"!)

But it doesn't surprise me that most people here have SJ parents...SPs and SJs people are fairly common after all.
Plus, I've noticed that Intuitives tend to be intrigued by theoretical typologies. It makes sense that Intuitives are more numerous compared to Sensors here. It simply attracts more of these types....which could also explains why Se/Si are underrated and not fully understood.

Reactions: Xcopy

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm skeptical about this. I believe the sensor bias comes from an attempt to simplify cognitive functions. The theory is hard to comprend fully, people creating MBTI websites won't put the whole analysis of the theory, they would simply reduce it in order to make it easier to understand. However, readers are prone to have a limited and reductive understanding of cognitive functions at first. Then, some people who believe they're Intuitives might try to justify their type according to this incomplete understanding (eg, "I'm creative, I must be N"!)

But it doesn't surprise me that most people here have SJ parents...SPs and SJs people are fairly common after all.
Plus, I've noticed that Intuitives tend to be intrigued by theoretical typologies. It makes sense that Intuitives are more numerous compared to Sensors here. It simply attracts more of these types....which could also explains why Se/Si are underrated and not fully understood.
I can understand what you’re saying, but I do wonder why intuitive related traits such as creativity would have anything to do with intelligence, big picture thinking or any of those biased buzz words. That really baffles me.

So this is one of my attempts to explain a problem I can’t yet figure out. I still feel like it could originate from having sensor parents and disliking their behaviors, and not wanting to be like them. If not for all, then perhaps for a good number of people.

I also think this is just one possibility, out of many. I’m sure there are numerous reasons, but this is something I may be able to measure using a poll.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I can understand what you’re saying, but I do wonder why intuitive related traits such as creativity would have anything to do with intelligence, big picture thinking or any of those biased buzz words. That really baffles me.

So this is one of my attempts to explain a problem I can’t yet figure out. I still feel like it could originate from having sensor parents and disliking their behaviors, and not wanting to be like them. If not for all, then perhaps for a good number of people.

I also think this is just one possibility, out of many. I’m sure there are numerous reasons, but this is something I may be able to measure using a poll.
Mm...maybe because they are annoying stereotypes? I don't exactly understand what you're trying to figure out...you want to know why these stereotypes exist in the first place? if so, I don't think it's that deep, these are just gross misconceptions (...I'd say that's even worse, intelligence and creativity have nothing to do with mbti types anyway, so if people think there is a certain correlation, I'm pretty sure it's only because they're misinformed).

Yeah, I understand, I won't dismiss this possibility. To be sure of your hunch, you should make a thread asking Intuitive people if they feel misunderstood/repulsed by their parents AND if it affects negatively their perception on Sensors. Using a pool might not be enough to confirm your hunch.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mm...maybe because they are annoying stereotypes? I don't exactly understand what you're trying to figure out...you want to know why these stereotypes exist in the first place? if so, I don't think it's that deep, these are just gross misconceptions (...I'd say that's even worse, intelligence and creativity have nothing to do with mbti types anyway, so if people think there is a certain correlation, I'm pretty sure it's only because they're misinformed).

Yeah, I understand, I won't dismiss this possibility. To be sure of your hunch, you should make a thread asking Intuitive people if they feel misunderstood/repulsed by their parents AND if it affects negatively their perception on Sensors. Using a pool might not be enough to confirm your hunch.
Yes, I want to know how these stereotypes formed in the first place. I’ve been observing. I’ve seen many examples of it here. I wanted to find one of the multiple origins for it due to my overanalyzing tendencies. It may seem minor and purposeless to others but it’s how my mind works lol.

That could work, if the responses I get aren’t self monitored and worded to seem a certain way. I pretty much want responses in which the responder doesn’t know what question is being asked to prevent user bias. I want their natural selves to be portrayed and over time as well, to make the result more conclusive. Therefore, I have observed to see what kind of sensor biases have been going around the forums over time and then making this poll to test my hypothesis.

All in all, this could just be a failure but it does help satisfy some of my curiosity if nothing else. I’m not going to believe it 100% anyway since it’s a forum poll lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts