Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it's okay to make a thread about just one celebrity. If there's a wider thread, please point me to it.

Charging on: I think Andrew Garfield is an unusually perceptive actor compared to many. I think he definitely Intuitive because he has so many ideas about things. I also think he is definitely Feeling.

He also seems rather Extraverted but this is where I'm stuck.

If you aren't very familiar with him, it would be great if you could please check out about a minute of this from the point I've linked to: DP/30: Never Let Me Go, actors Carey Mulligan & Andrew Garfield - YouTube

He goes on a bit of a rant about shock value in the media as a commodity and then has an exchange with Carey Mulligan in which he says that he longs for a 'revolution of the soul' rather than a 'revolution of technology' in today's society. He seems to take a wee while taking things in that the others say which makes me think Perceiving?

Does ENFP sound viable? I don't know any in real life so no idea if this matches up!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't quite understand why you think of him as more of an extrovert than an introvert. Personally, I'm an introvert, and I can identify with him very well (after watching many interviews), he has the same personality type. The reason that I don't find him to be an extrovert is because he has to be provoked to share his personal feelings, rather than speaking out without being questioned. He's shy and insecure, more characteristics of an introvert. Personality identifying aside, he's my favorite actor and I think he's truly brilliant, both in and outside of acting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually have something to add to that: Introverts think A LOT, they develop a lot of ideas about very specific subjects and such, so I think the reason he may be appearing extroverted to you is because in interviews, it's his chance to release all of the ideas that he keeps inside of him outside of interviews. Maybe. Maybe he's in-between, a situational extrovert. I believe that's what I'm becoming as well, I just don't know what personality type that is. I prefer to avoid social situations, but if I'm forced into them, I progressively become more extroverted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wes, thank you so much for replying! I thought this post was a goner.

Your thoughts have been very helpful - in fact I came to a similar conclusion myself after watching a few more interviews. You're right, despite seeming extraverted and being quite talkative in interviews, he does seem to have the shyness and insecurity of an introvert. I've also decided in fact he seems to be Judging in that he's so controlled about preparation for characters. Which would make him an INFJ, funnily enough!

I agree, he is a brilliant actor and a very sincere, thoughtful, warm person from what I've seen. (I do worry a bit about how fame will negatively affect someone who is so nice).

I like the way you put it, a 'situational extrovert'. That seems to describe him well, and actually that phrase describes me quite well, too. I get extraverted when I'm with people I trust and like.

Do you know which personality type you are yet? If not, perhaps you could consider that you're something similar to an INFJ, if you identify with him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for making the thread, I assumed I was the only one who spent time thinking about the psychology of actors. Lol. I didn't know this site existed, and I'm not really sure what it is yet, this is the only thread I've viewed. I was hesitant about choosing my personality type, because I'm a bit unsure. Maybe you can help me determine it? I have social anxiety, I try to avoid social situations very often. However, if I'm forced into one, I try to make the best of it, and the more time I spend with a person, the more extroverted I become. My issue is that I don't know how to converse unless I'm being questioned, I don't know how to start a conversation essentially. I think a lot, I'm incredibly insecure, shy, and I don't know how to interact in groups. I'm completely extroverted around close family. I'm constantly thinking, and thinking of ways to become more involved socially. I want to play music for a living, I'm starting a band with my best friend, but recently I've realized how much I love movies, and I've had an urge to act. I fear that my parents will negatively address my urge to act, so I haven't told them yet. I'm torn between music, and what could possibly be a new passion. My goal is to do both. I'm only 15, so I have time. I love psychology. Maybe all three of us, you, Andrew, and I are "situational" extroverts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're definitely not the only one, there are quite a few threads on this site about actors' 'types'. But yes, I find typing celebrities and just regular people very absorbing.

Okay - I don't know how much you know about Myers-Briggs, but to start off perhaps you could take this fairly quick test? Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology

To me it's quite clear you're Introverted and Intuitive, but I couldn't say for sure about the other two functions.

You sound like a great person with a lot of passion for creativity. Shyness is an awful thing. But I once didn't really know how to 'do' conversations either and I sort of taught myself through a lot of trial and error. The secret, I find, is to ask a lot of questions, and become interested in the other person.

I've always wished I were in a band, but I'm rubbish at guitar. I hope it goes well for you. Do you play guitar or another instrument?

Have you acted before? I love movies a lot, too, and I took theatre classes for a bit. I have to admit found them more scary and less fun than I had hoped. I hope that doesn't put you off, though, because that could just be me, and people say that introverts make the best actors, even if they're very shy! My favourite actor, Cillian Murphy, is another introvert.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
@excalibird

Yeah, Garfield's not an INFJ. You're basing an extroverted judgement typing on his preparation for roles? Most actors are pretty hardcore about that. I don't know a single actor that doesn't do some sort of intense preparation for big roles, type immaterial. As a unionized actor, and an individual who frequently acts in theatrical performances, I can tell you that I'm really intense about my character development. Everything I own? Messily crammed somewhere. Not so with my acting.

I think that Garfield could be either an INFP or an ENFP, Fi is not prone to releasing one's personal feelings/beliefs to the outside world readily, so INFP shouldn't be the decision because of that argument presented either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just found these few quotes about his personality, which I found interesting:

London, June 1: Spider-man star Andrew Garfield has revealed that he underwent regular therapy sessions to deal with his over-sensitive personality.
The actor also confessed having a panic attack after he won the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Award for Best Actor in 2007 for his role in 'Boy A,' because the triumph left him feeling empty.
Garfield revealed that he has regularly undergone sessions with a therapist to talk about his emotions and understand his feelings.
"That whole night was so shocking and scary. By the time I got home I started to have a panic attack... It was the result of pure adrenaline fall-off, and the realisation that although the success of the night had felt really nice, it was never ever going to satisfy me...," the Daily Express quoted him as telling GQ magazine.
"Have I ever been to therapy? I don't know if I'm comfortable talking about that... Yes, I have been to therapy. And I'm not ashamed of it. I've always been a little reserved about it, but I've loved it," he added.

We start to move on and, again, he qualifies, "If you bring up the therapy thing, will you say that we bonded over it?" Sorry? "Will you bring up the fact that we shared that?" I say that I'm not sure. He says that it's OK, he's just wondering.

[x]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to be a dad!" he says excitedly. "I'd love to. But I want to be sure of what my value system is before that happens."
Self-explanatory. It is evident he cares about having a defined value system, or at least, is comfortable with what it is.

In secondary school I was floating – I wasn't passionate about anything. I did a little sport, but it was pretty joyless because the competitiveness was too much to bear.'
As a fellow INFP, not only I can relate to disliking/being exhausted by competitiveness, but about the importance of finding something you are passionate about.

'All I needed was someone to say, "You're good at this" for me to believe it

and chase it.'

Proof that he probably needs reassurance from others.

When I recount similar testimonials praising his 'vulnerability' from Terry Gilliam (who directed him in The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus) and Boy A director John Crowley, Garfield bats away the compliments. 'That's just me being sensitive! That's just who I am,' he shrugs. 'Which is OK. And I guess I've found a place where I can express that. And it's useful.'

And last but not least:

'I think "clever and grounded" is a nice way of saying I have a healthy amount of self-loathing. And a lack of belief in myself.'

'No, no, no, it's true!' he insists. 'I'm realistic. And I don't think I'm any good. Mike Nichols says this to me – he wrote me a beautiful letter. He said, "Don't worry about losing yourself, because you don't think you're any good, and that's never going to change.

What's funny is that even when people tell him he is amazing, and even if he said he needed someone to say it and he'd believe it and chase it, he doesn't truly believe it. You can see that even with the reassurance, he still doesn't believe he is any good, and even more, he thinks he is being realistic, which I can totally relate to.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think he seems a lot like an INFP, but I tend to feel he falls more into a ISFJ personality. He was always quite a sporty person, and he seems like a very sensible, dutiful kind of person to me. He also seems quite hands-on as well. Sensors tend to be more hands on than intutitves. He did all his own stunts on The Amazing Spider-Man for instance. He also doesn't seem to like hyper-analysing things either. He is similar to an INFP, but I say he's more like an ISFJ. I think that Emma Stone is an ESFP. So, according to personality page, they are a perfect match. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts