Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't exactly know what MBTI my Mom is, but she raised an ISTJ son. I know she's introverted like me and is a tad bit more emotional but is still for the most part smart and down to Earth and handles money pretty well. She's been the budget cruncher between her and my Dad to raise my sister and I. She enjoys watching TV religiously and soaks up main stream media information like a sponge absorbs water. My Mom has been a home maker most of her adult live which I am thankful for as stay-at-home Moms aren't seen very often, especially with younger parents these days.

I think she might be an ISFJ because she loves to decorate the house for each season/holiday and she enjoys her crochet needlework. As a guy, I don't see the point in needing to decorate for every season/holiday. Its too much work to put it all up and take it down after. I think she is where I get my learning trait of hands on rather than learning through lecture or reading a book. My Mom is a serious woman and doesn't share the same sense of humor my sister and I do. I remember growing up we rarely went to large social gatherings and even family friend parties or family reunions ended with us all being tired out including my Dad. I firmly believe everyone in my immediate family are introverts. However I am the only non-emotional ISTJ.

My Mom is also the one that made damn sure I was on time from playing outside. If I wasn't home by 4:30 for dinner/chores I couldn't go out the next day or week even. I had to be in bed at 8PM on school nights and 9PM on weekends. I lived in a very structured household so as a result I enjoy routine because once you get into routine, there is no thinking about it on a day-to-day basis. As a result of that rigid structure I am punctual and very good at keeping track of time.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
I don't know my mom's type for sure, but I suspect she is either an ISTJ or ESTJ. In some ways my mom was very traditional. There are 5 kids in my family, and my mom was a stay at home mom until the youngest was about 12 years old. Our home was very structured. My mom planned out meals and spending budgets very carefully. My mom was not the typical touchy feely type of mom that some of my friends had. There was no mollycoddling whatsoever. If you weren't bleeding, you would live and that was the way my mom approached things. I think I saw her cry maybe two or three times ever. Although she is petite, it always seemed as though there was nothing she couldn't do. She has a temper. My dad(he passed away several years ago) always called her his fire cracker.

I remember one time they were playing cards with some friends, and one of the men made a very sexist derogatory joke about women, my mom picked up a glass of water and flung it at him. He was so shocked that it shut him up. Did I mention she had a sort fuse? Anyway, I would describe her as tough as nails, tightwad, feisty, no-nonsense, and emotionally detached. My dad was the emotional one. I can remember him tearing up far more often than my mom when his emotions overtook him.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Not sure about my mother's type, either. Growing up, she seemed introverted. I would have to guess IXXJ. Our relationship has always been rocky so again, it's really difficult to narrow it down.

She was very passive, submissive to my father, people-pleaser, "followed the crowd" mentality, and that's just the positive side to her personality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mom is an istj and she was raised by probably an istj as well. From what I've heard of my grandma she was a super cold parent, pure tough love and sometimes physically abusive. I'm either intj or istj, ive been told I seem more like an intj so thats just what I go with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, there HAS to be a correlation between your parent's type and yours - after all, it's genes we're talking about. And while it strongly depends on how they raise you, at least S/N must be passed on. I grew up with both my parents having full time jobs - my father sailed the seas and was gone for like 5-6 months, while my mother worked in our ministry of education. Being an only child (though somewhere at the age of 12 I found out I have a much older brother from my father's previous marriage) and not going out much, combined with my natural impressionable mind, I grew up to be a strong introvert, and while I thought I was intuitive, it's now clear to me I'm much more sensory-oriented. I was also very judging, because I got noone around most of the time to perceive things from. I had plenty of encyclopedias around, read most of them and thus get in love with facts and develop my Thinking side, and since I was mostly alone my Feeling side did not develop well. Through my teenage years I was naturally rebelling and now I'm guessing I made way for my tertiary and inferior functions to shine, thus falling in an INFP/INFJ/INTJ states. Then I fell in love and started a 7-year-old relationship which turned my world around, going through ultimate bliss and living hell, it stressed me out and almost made me go insane. It's over for more than 2 years now, I've already finished my degrees and I'm working for almost 2 years now. Things are finally coming to a sensible state and I see myself as a very ISTJ person.

From what I received as answers from my parents, they both score ISTJ on tests, but while my father is very ISTJ, I start to think my mother is not really one. She is definately Sensing and Judging, but she fluctuates from extrovert to introvert and thinking to feeling states. I have no clue how they managed to sustain their relationship, but I guess the Si bonds them well. And that should the major function I've inherited from them.

So from my point of view if you're primarily raised by your biological mom and she has high Si, chances are you'll have high Si too.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts

Well, there HAS to be a correlation between your parent's type and yours - after all, it's genes we're talking about. And while it strongly depends on how they raise you, at least S/N must be passed on. I grew up with both my parents having full time jobs - my father sailed the seas and was gone for like 5-6 months, while my mother worked in our ministry of education. Being an only child (though somewhere at the age of 12 I found out I have a much older brother from my father's previous marriage) and not going out much, combined with my natural impressionable mind, I grew up to be a strong introvert, and while I thought I was intuitive, it's now clear to me I'm much more sensory-oriented. I was also very judging, because I got noone around most of the time to perceive things from. I had plenty of encyclopedias around, read most of them and thus get in love with facts and develop my Thinking side, and since I was mostly alone my Feeling side did not develop well. Through my teenage years I was naturally rebelling and now I'm guessing I made way for my tertiary and inferior functions to shine, thus falling in an INFP/INFJ/INTJ states. Then I fell in love and started a 7-year-old relationship which turned my world around, going through ultimate bliss and living hell, it stressed me out and almost made me go insane. It's over for more than 2 years now, I've already finished my degrees and I'm working for almost 2 years now. Things are finally coming to a sensible state and I see myself as a very ISTJ person.

From what I received as answers from my parents, they both score ISTJ on tests, but while my father is very ISTJ, I start to think my mother is not really one. She is definately Sensing and Judging, but she fluctuates from extrovert to introvert and thinking to feeling states. I have no clue how they managed to sustain their relationship, but I guess the Si bonds them well. And that should the major function I've inherited from them.

So from my point of view if you're primarily raised by your biological mom and she has high Si, chances are you'll have high Si too.
If type were purely genetic, we would have evidence of this. From all appearances, this is not the case.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
*activating pedant mode*

Mother's what? WHAT?

AGHHH!! Incorrectly used possessive apostrophe!

*pedant mode appears to be stuck*

MBTI and personality in particular is not a nice simple genetic game of snap.
GAHHHH!!!

*tink, clunk....pphhssssttttt.....BOOM!!*
*pedant mode appears to be overloaded*

Uh oh... my dogmatism has sprung a leak and I think I'd better go and clean it up. It's just got a bit messy here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts