Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there may be a loose correlation between personality and music preference. With that said:

Hard techno and death metal (ESTPs like that stuff)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There's a thread at the NFs forum about metal: plenty of INFPs like death metal.

Only music I really don't like is Country: although I like music close to that circle: southern rock, rockabilly, whatever people consider Johnny cash. But I'm also an enneagram 7, so I like almost anything.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Yeah man, I've been into extreme metal for a very long time. It's good stuff :happy:

But in all honesty I pretty much hate all pop music. It just sounds so artificial to me. I can appreciate most kinds of music but that sugary radio pop stuff is bad for my ears.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I've been watching the music threads, and INFPs seem to listen to anything, pretty much..

but personally, I'm not a fan of rap, country, or gospel music.
but depends on the lyrics, atmosphere, and.. umm.. >.> techno makes all music better imho.

I used to be scared of metal music.. but some metal music is okay with me now.. I've found that I enjoybattle metal and metal with female vocals, and creepy lyrics in met...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been watching the music threads, and INFPs seem to listen to anything, pretty much..

but personally, I'm not a fan of rap, country, or gospel music.
but depends on the lyrics, atmosphere, and.. umm.. >.> techno makes all music better imho.

I used to be scared of metal music.. but some metal music is okay with me now.. I've found that I enjoybattle metal and metal with female vocals, and creepy lyrics in met...
is rap pretty unpopular with INFPs? Because I genuinely love some old school and 90s hip hop.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
is rap pretty unpopular with INFPs? Because I genuinely love some old school and 90s hip hop.
I grew up with my parents blasting some of that stuff, so it's naturally nostalgic to me. Definitely couldn't find me jamming to more modern rap though...
If you play some Dr. Dre Chronic, sure, I'll sing along :p

Most music I dislike when it feels like there's a limited range. Whenever I try to look for new songs to listen to, I skip to a few places to listen for any changes within the music. If it's rather consistent throughout and lacking a dynamic feel to it, I move on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I like many types of music. I like experimental & dreamy sounding things best but I also listen to various genres of rock, acoustic music with female vocals, rap, some pop, some electronic etc. I'm more particular about the artist than the genre itself, although some things are just no, like country & "oldies" music or whatever. I don't listen to the radio either because I rarely like the songs that are most popular.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
At least one INFP I know listens to a lot of rap, but he's particular about the rap he listens to, too.
His favorites are Insane Clown Posse and Tech N9ne [that I'm aware of].

Another friend of mine is either an INFP or ENFP and he listens to the same music as my other friend.

·
Retired Administrator
18,200 Posts
The only music I've never been able to enjoy is death metal. I used to like a band called "Oi Polloi" but it was because of the lyrics (I guess it's technically punk, but to me it sounds a lot like death metal...but they have some songs about the environment). THe music sounds like yelling and it's too loud.

I used to listen to punk and I can handle the yelling, but I like the satire and the melodic quality, though I'll get a headache if I listen to it too much. I also have liked some rap, traditional, classical, techno, jazz, and pretty much everything else, even a little country which I previously disliked. I guess I also tend to dislike smooth elevator music jazz (though I really enjoy a lot of other jazz). Perhaps one day I'll find death metal to like, but I tend to avoid it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only music I've never been able to enjoy is death metal. I used to like a band called "Oi Polloi" but it was because of the lyrics (I guess it's technically punk, but to me it sounds a lot like death metal...but they have some songs about the environment). THe music sounds like yelling and it's too loud.

I used to listen to punk and I can handle the yelling, but I like the satire and the melodic quality, though I'll get a headache if I listen to it too much. I also have liked some rap, traditional, classical, techno, jazz, and pretty much everything else, even a little country which I previously disliked. I guess I also tend to dislike smooth elevator music jazz (though I really enjoy a lot of other jazz). Perhaps one day I'll find death metal to like, but I tend to avoid it.
Most death metal I've heard is just comincally over the top offensive/gross lyrics in a growling voice. At least Black Metal is a step up from it in terms of emotional depth.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In the general sense I dislike electronic, rap, country and religious music.

There are always exceptions though. I can't get enough of Eminem!

I strongly gravitate to classic rock and classical. You could say I'm a music buff in terms of both of those genres.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
By no means am I positive this is an INFP-thing but in the pursuit of knowledge, I will say my least favorite genres are:

-Country
-Pop punk
-Jazz (I WILL fuck with Nujabes, though. I like his brand of jazz which others might call 'acid jazz.')
-Classical
-Doowop
-Any other stuff I feel like someone in their 50s may most likely listen to. I'm sorry but it bores the crap out of me.

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
I can enjoy and appreciate all musical genres(except for country music)

I used to enjoy music that was comfortable and familiar to me, and in a sense I suppose instantly gratifying. But when I started to really get into music and started reading everything I could about it; I read somewhere how beneficial it can be to expose and open yourself up to all genres and styles, and while it was sort of strange at first I soon found myself enjoying everything. I think most styles have some sort of message, or story behind it. You just sort of have listen to something enough times until you find what and can understand what is being expressed.

sometimes it's nothing, it's just dumb. Dumb vapid pop. But dumb vapid pop can be fun, too.

Music can say so much about who you are, and what kind of culture and life that you have come from, or perhaps currently find yourself. I think that's why at times it can feel like a personal attack when someone insults the type of music you love. Or why it can be so difficult to understand someone's musical preferences. It can be this whole other world that can be I suppose awkward.

That being said I'm surprised no one has mentioned the dreaded Dub-step. Hahaha

·
Banned
277 Posts
I'm a fan of many genres but there's this genre which was pretty popular (especially in the 90's) in my country, which I simply can't stand - Gabber/Hardcore/Hardstyle/Jumpstyle - whatever you want to call it. I'd imagine something like this to be a genre INFPs would be least into, mindless 140BPM distorted bass drums with little melody or content. Here's a few examples of them:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hard techno and death metal (ESTPs like that stuff)
I'm a metalhead and I have no idea what you're talking about. :laughing:

Anyway, my actual taste consists of metal, punk, pop, classical, jazz, blues, and a little country. I'm not going to delve in the sub-genres because there's way too many of them. Haha.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to Paramore after you've just experienced Gorguts. Really.

Least likely to avoid... dubstep w/ shitty rap.

Reactions: Cthulhu And Coffee

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mainstream rap is mostly sh** for me. I don't know about the others. Even with more extreme music, I find rap-core and nu-metal pretty childish. But don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers (they're all pretty fun to play on the instrument and they're damn challenging! plus, the feel is just awesome!). For me, it really depends on the lyrics when it comes to rap. I believe rap is probably the most lyric-centered of all genres and it shouldn't fail in that area.

You know those "rap" parts in pop music? The "super catchy singer ft. random rapper" kind of thing? Yeah. They ruin those songs for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Most death metal I've heard is just comincally over the top offensive/gross lyrics in a growling voice. At least Black Metal is a step up from it in terms of emotional depth.
Yeah. Cannibal Corpse and similar bands do have that thing going on.
Anyway, I assure you there's more to the death metal bands you've heard.

Amongst Phantom Worlds

I revolted with the Earth in Uncertainty and without a name.
I have lived my lives without counts.
My life - just a second of a dream in transstellar space,
a little stop on a way from one unknown Chasm to the other.

Fragile pulsation of my anti-life -
vagueness of crystal-clear Oblivion
from which the temptress-life has called
me for one short and unfortunate instant.

In a frenzy of despair, in oppressive dismal atmosphere
of seclusion, in a lack of interest in life,
without stimulus, yearnings and hopes
I continue my way through Deep Space
and Parallel Horizons neither dead nor dreaming.

Thousand times for one my breath
Madness and Unmadness has traded places.
I'm - a source of Unpurity.
My World - a veil which hid cosmic Chaos.
I'm ritual reiterate Dead World's Mantra:
"That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even Death may die"

Magical blood rises from the depths of my heart.
I revive the World with my blood.
I call my Name by myself.​

That's a Katalepsy song, BTW.

I would also like to add that it's really hard to growl all these lyrics out. Trust me. I do extreme vocals myself.

Reactions: SalvinaZerelda

·
Registered
103 Posts
90% of the music I listen to is rock, problem is, nobody else I know listens to the stuff I listen to. I play in a band and we were sharing songs we listen to among us and they were all like: "You listen to the most fucked up wierd shit I've ever heard, man!". It's not like I do it on purpose, lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah man, I've been into extreme metal for a very long time. It's good stuff :happy:

But in all honesty I pretty much hate all pop music. It just sounds so artificial to me. I can appreciate most kinds of music but that sugary radio pop stuff is bad for my ears.
Very good stuff indeed. :kitteh:

I find anything mainstream, especially mainstream pop, to be artificial-sounding too. And this is probably cliche, but they lack the "rawness" and depth of bands most people have never even heard of.

At least Coheed and Cambria make damn good pop songs! :laughing:

Reactions: Zeta Neprok
1 - 20 of 25 Posts