Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say I'm a pretty hands off parent. I encourage my kids to figure things out on their own and not to rely on others to solve problems for them. Discipline is tailored to each child (I have two, a 4 year old girl and a boy almost 2). My daughter hates the corner, so that's where I send her haha. I don't take things away from her because she'll just find another source of entertainment. She hates to be bored. My son, he's still a baby so its just taking away and redirecting for now. I'm not a yeller or a screamer, I am quietly assertive. I don't like to, but I have no problem being the enforcer.

I'm not into play dates and structured, organized play. Places like Chuck E. Cheeses give me the willies for many different reasons. We go to parks, nature walks, feed the ducks, stuff like that. We also do a lot of horseplay throwing balls in the house, chasing each other and everything else you're not supposed to do in the house (it makes my ISTJ husband crazy but sometimes that's part of the fun). I also let them get bored so they can learn to entertain themselves. I am very affectionate with my children, I tell them love them a million times a day and hug and kiss them about that much. But it's only with them! Anyone else...I don't like touchy feeliness.

So what type of parent are you or what type of parent do you think you would be?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I would say I'm a pretty hands off parent. I encourage my kids to figure things out on their own and not to rely on others to solve problems for them. Discipline is tailored to each child (I have two, a 4 year old girl and a boy almost 2). My daughter hates the corner, so that's where I send her haha. I don't take things away from her because she'll just find another source of entertainment. She hates to be bored. My son, he's still a baby so its just taking away and redirecting for now. I'm not a yeller or a screamer, I am quietly assertive. I don't like to, but I have no problem being the enforcer.

I'm not into play dates and structured, organized play. Places like Chuck E. Cheeses give me the willies for many different reasons. We go to parks, nature walks, feed the ducks, stuff like that. We also do a lot of horseplay throwing balls in the house, chasing each other and everything else you're not supposed to do in the house (it makes my ISTJ husband crazy but sometimes that's part of the fun). I also let them get bored so they can learn to entertain themselves. I am very affectionate with my children, I tell them love them a million times a day and hug and kiss them about that much. But it's only with them! Anyone else...I don't like touchy feeliness.

So what type of parent are you or what type of parent do you think you would be?
From what I just read, I think you are a very good parent.

We don't have a lot of ISTP parents participating here, there are a few, but most of the active participants here are either too young, have never been married, are still virgins and/or remain celibate.
Add to that some of them even refer to children as the "Offspring of the Devil." Of course one fact escapes most of them, bad children usually come from bad parents.
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

If you had good role models when you were growing up, then you likely know what you are doing. Otherwise you have a whole lot of learning to do.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would say I'm a pretty hands off parent. I encourage my kids to figure things out on their own and not to rely on others to solve problems for them.
Ditto. I can't stand parents who jump every time the kid says "I can't find [insert whatever piece of crap here]". I just spent an afternoon with a friend, and my three kids had to go play and not interrupt me for a while. Her kid demanded that she get up every 5 seconds to get something for him. And she did.

I'm not a yeller or a screamer, I am quietly assertive. I don't like to, but I have no problem being the enforcer.
No I'm a huge yeller. I'll ask quietly the first time. Once I have to repeat myself several times I lose my control and turn into a dragon. Although I am raising 3 kids by myself (ages 3, 5, and 7) and hardly ever get a break, so maybe that's a factor. I have a low tolerance/patience for sassy bullshit either, so that usually earns some kind of wicked response.
I don't LIKE to be the enforcer, but I am in the role, for better or worse. It wears on me quite a bit.

I'm not into play dates and structured, organized play. Places like Chuck E. Cheeses give me the willies for many different reasons.
Yep. I'm a germaphobe so I hate those places. Always get some nasty virus. I take them to the lake and we play with water toys, or go look at animals, or something like that. But playdates are stupid because I have to stand there and referee all these kids, listen to the fighting/whining/whatever, and then i have to make small talk with other moms. It sucks.

I am very affectionate with my children, I tell them love them a million times a day and hug and kiss them about that much. But it's only with them! Anyone else...I don't like touchy feeliness.
Plus I can't stand other people's kids. It makes it hard to do playdates, as mentioned above. :laughing:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I don't know why people think if you have children that you automatically like kids. That is not the truth...at all! Yes, I like kids...my own kids and that's it. I didn't have my first child until I was almost 30, and I didn't even want to do it then. My husband wore me down hehe.

I would rather scratch my own eyes out than to have that inane mom chatter...I shutter just thinking about it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm only 6 months in to this parenting gig so I'll let you know when I've had to do more than sing horsey horsey waaaay too many times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts