Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please list your type at the head of your response. Thanks...

What type of relationship do you prefer? Face to face or long distance? Intimate or casual? Public or private? Real time or online?

Would you consider unconventional relationships?

Would you consider a relationship if you thought it categorized as immoral?

Would there be absolutes or can life circumstances be allowed influence in your decisions?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
One intimate face-to-face relationship (just not too much face time). Private I guess, but I'm not going to hide it, just keep it to myself/anonymous.

Lesbian so it'd be unconventional regardless of other circumstances...not sure what you mean by that.

Maybe one real-life friend in theory, in real life probably I won't ever meet anyone compatible.

Casual online relationships are ideal for intellectual stimulation...but once again, it's not panning out in real life.

Sure there are absolutes...but "life circumstances" includes whatever personal experience helped determine the absolutes....question is kind of unclear. I've put plenty of thought into what I will or will not compromise on.

·
Registered
INTP
3,462 Posts
What type of relationship do you prefer?
Male-female, with some observance of gender roles. (But without children!) A true partnership.

Face to face or long distance?
Face to face. Could start as long distance.

Intimate or casual?
Intimate, as in emotionally close.

Public or private?
Uh....

Real time or online?
Online is a good way to get to know someone for the first month or maybe a few months. Then it should be real time.

Would you consider unconventional relationships
If you mean poly and so on, no. But my last relationship was with someone half my age, so yes.

If categorized as immoral by others, maybe. If considered immoral by me, no.

Would there be absolutes or can life circumstances be allowed influence in your decisions?
I think I should have higher standards than I used to, which means more absolutes (must haves/deal breakers). At the same time, I doubt I'll find deep love and commitment at my age, so I'm looking for companionship and true liking.

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
I'm bisexual, so a male or female partner is fine.

Face to face or long distance?
Face-to-face. I can't stand the idea of long distance. Talking online is not enough for me and I reject phone calls and video chat for several reasons.

Intimate or casual?
Intimate for sure. For me there is no point in a casual relationship, I don't want to become close to anyone unless I have a high level of engagement with them, and them with me.

Public or private?
Doesn't matter. I'm not going to be one of those people who feel the need to announce my relationship everywhere but I'm not going out of my way to hide it either.

Real time or online?
See my answer a few lines up regarding long distance.

Depends, of course I'm open to some unconventional relationship types but there are some deal-breakers. A relationship with someone of my sex, someone non-binary, or someone transgender is totally fine. Along that line, I'm 100% okay with defying gender roles. Also, I don't mind the idea of dating someone much older than me. I'm 22, so I wouldn't want to date anyone more than 4 years younger. Poly relationships are out of the question, however.

I don't give a fuck if it's categorized as immoral by society's standards. Unless it could send me to jail or something like that. However, I agree with society that certain relationships, such as dating a non-adult or a close relative, is very bad. If I personally categorize a relationship as immoral, it's out of the question.

I mean, I have some "hard nos" like the one I listed in the previous answer. Of course I'm open to looking into life circumstances, though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Closeness: Living in the same town.
Privacy: Not living in the same flat.
Freedom: Not marriage.
Types of relationships:

Friends With Benefits

A friends with benefits situation is not exactly a relationship. It is a relationship in which two people agree to be intimate but with no strings attached. In this situation, there should be no romantic feelings involved. You are not boyfriend and girlfriend and you are not exclusive. This is purely a casual, physical relationship. It can be tricky to enter into a friends with benefits situation as you will be attempting the physical part of a relationship without there being any emotional attachment at all. This person will not be your partner, your girlfriend, or your boyfriend. This will just be a person that you are attracted enough to hook up with.

Casual Relationship

A casual relationship is usually one where the relationship is relatively new. You and this other person have been seeing each other, but you have not necessarily defined the relationship. You might not even be calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend yet. You may even be seeing other people or maybe you are not. People who are in a casual relationship typically do not meet the other person’s family members. Sometimes they will not even meet the friends either. Because people in casual relationships are not serious, they typically do not introduce each other to the important people in their lives. This makes sense because there is no commitment on either end. In a casual relationship, people like to keep their options open in case another possible person interests them. If you know that you cannot handle this type of dynamic, then do not enter into a casual relationship. You should feel comfortable asking for what you want and need in a relationship, whether that means settling down and being serious.

Open Relationship

An open relationship means that the relationship is not limited to just the two people. The people who are in an open relationship are open to dating other people as well. This is the opposite of a monogamous relationship. Like in any relationship, there should be trust and communication in a healthy open relationship. An open relationship should not necessarily be seen as a free for all. It does not mean that you can just do whatever you want. Even though it is an open relationship, you cannot neglect your partner. You should still set rules and boundaries and there are many different elements to think about.

Polyamorous Relationship

In a polyamorous relationship, the number of people is more than two. Other people are welcomed into the relationship and it is not considered cheating because everyone is in a relationship together. This is a little different than an open relationship because all of the people are involved with each other, while open relationships are kept more separate. In an open relationship, there is one main partner, while in a polyamorous relationship, there are several partners. In a polyamorous arrangement, everyone’s lives are more intertwined and sometimes everyone will even live together under the same roof. You will have to make sure that you all get along. This type of arrangement can make the relationship a little more complicated at times since there are more emotions, needs, and dynamics to take into consideration.

Long-Distance Relationship

A long-distance relationship can really test the strongest of relationships. This is when two people are in a relationship but they live far away from each other. Sometimes when two people live far apart, they decide to no longer be in a relationship. It can be hard work to be in a relationship where you cannot see your significant other on a regular basis. Some people decide that they still want to be together regardless of distance, and that is what a long-distance relationship is. In a long-distance relationship, there will often be many phone calls and visits. Instead of hopping in your car to visit your significant other, you might have to hop on a plane. It can be frustrating but for the right people, a long-distance relationship is worth it.

Hybrid Relationships

In this case, one of the members of the couple remains monogamous while the other has the freedom to get involved with other third parties.

Semi-Open or Monogamish Relationships

This is a mainly monogamous relationship most of the time, where intimacy or sex with others is permitted if both parties agree. Unlike open relationships, there are a lot of rules and limitations here. Sexual relations with others aren't as common as in open relationships and tend to simply occur in accidental circumstances that aren't considered unfaithfulness by the couple.

Monogamous Relationship

Monogamy or a monogamous relationship refers to a traditional relationship where love, intimacy, and sex are only shared with one person during an undefined period. This may or may not involve marriage.

Domestic Partnership

Domestic partnerships may happen for financial reasons, because of children, or interests. This type of relationship stands out from the rest since it involves two people that live together or are in a relationship but have almost separate lives – especially emotionally and sexually speaking.

Source A Source B

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,952 Posts

What type of relationship do you prefer? Face to face or long distance? Intimate or casual? Public or private? Real time or online?
F2F
Intimate
Public and private
Realtime

Depends on what you mean by that

By whose standards?

I'm beginning to feel a fish hook here...what do you REALLY want to ask?

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 458 sx/so ILE
12 Posts
I can deal with both face to face and long distance relationships, same with intimate and casual, even though I prefer intimate ones. If public, better.

Sure, don't see why not.

If I have feelings toward a person, why would I even care about morality in the first case? Sounds like a very absurd way to restrict myself.

Uhh don't really know what to answer to this one.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I like to casually chat in an online setting. Not a fan of face to face unless its with family.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,936 Posts
INFJ 5w4

I want to say long distance appeals to me more.... but I wish LDRs weren't so long distance really. More like short distance... maybe even in the same neighbourhood or town so I could be face to face with them regularly enough.

I do prefer private and intimate.
Real time or Online? Doesn't matter.

Sure.

I wouldn't be considering it if I agreed with the categorization of it being immoral. It's probably illegal if I thought it was that bad anyway.

I have standards so I can't really avoid absolutes, but life circumstances can influence things .

·
Registered
11 Posts

Face to face. Intimate. Private. Real time.
Not really.
IDK. Would depend on the person.. but for now, no.
I know there would be no such thing as absolute.

I am scared of online relationships.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
216 Posts
INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)

Face-to face or long distance?
Face-to-face. I wouldn't mind spending some quality time together (you couldn't really do that long distance). I also hate phone calls and FaceTimes, so in-person is defininetly preferable.

Intimate or casual?
Intimate. I don't have the energy to handle partner after partner. For me, it's all or nothing.

Public or private?
Generally private. I don't mind hand-holding or nothing like that, but if a girl tries to obsessively cling on to me in public, it generally won't go that well. I've also seen enough couples making out in public during High School to get more than annoyed at the idea.

Real time or online?
Real-time. I generally express emotion with more accuracy through writing, but the contradiction with that is that there is less emotion through that medium. I prefer to experience things in the moment with my partner. I also tried online dating apps, and I can't bring myself to do it.

Depends on what you mean by unconventional. If you are thinking relationships with multiple women at once, then I'll take a hard pass at that.
But most often in mind, I do prefer the stereotypical monogamous, older man + younger woman relationship that is focused on eventual marriage (but keeps it somewhat casual at first). Call it vanilla if you want, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I categorized it as immoral, than no.
I do have principles I abide by, and I try to be consistent with them whenever possible.
Also, what I conflate as immoral is often already illegal. So there's that of course.

Would there be absolutes or can life experiences be allowed to influence your decisions?
I can't avoid absolutes. To me, there is such thing as objective truth (the statement "there is no objective truth" is in of itself an objective statement), and I generally use what is true, in order avoid what is wrong. I'm certainly no perfectionist, but it is an important part in how I operate through life, and how I keep myself in check.
Also, if I'm wrong, I would want my partner to call me out on it. It goes both ways.

·
Registered
ENTP, 387
2,942 Posts
ENTP 3w4

I prefer face to face. I don’t think I’d be able to invest in a romantic relationship that was Long distance. I would very likely flake on that person big time. I had a semi distant relationship once. His location was practical in a way, but eventually the distance would have posed an issue. (Lol but others things were an issue before it became one).

I like to keep some things private, but I’m wouldn’t want to hide the relationship either.

I’m fine with casual to begin with. But I do prefer that if I’m seeing someone that they aren’t seeing a bunch of people at the same time. I’m not gonna invest my time, energy and feelings into something where the potential for drama or hurt feels are high.

Say I’m thinking “I’m only dating this person” but he is like “I’m dating 3 women at once”. That sounds like way too much potential drama for me and obviously this is a talk worth having at some point. So, I guess I prefer intimate if the relationship develops.

I wouldn’t go for unconventional not even on age difference.

or something I find immoral.(like seeing someone else’s BF/husband etc.).

Nothing is set in stone. So, if there were circumstances that could affect what I prefer I might go with it if the other person seems like he is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts