Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an INFP, I enjoy creative writing and I like writing short stories, novels, (etc). I tend to write about emotional situations that the main character finds themselves in. For example, I'm currently writing a novel about someone who is getting bullied.

Is this the type of thing that INFP writers usually write about?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm not sure about "usually"... I've read that a lot of INFPs like writing and are good at it, so it probably just depends on where your interest lies and what your experiences have been.

Me personally, I like to write fiction stories. I'm particularly interested in death and what happens after, and also what happens when humans are extinct, or after humans are close to being extinct, etc. I like to observe simple things and write about them in different ways. I also write biographically, in first person.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm not sure about "usually"... I've read that a lot of INFPs like writing and are good at it, so it probably just depends on where your interest lies and what your experiences have been.

Me personally, I like to write fiction stories. I'm particularly interested in death and what happens after, and also what happens when humans are extinct, or after humans are close to being extinct, etc. I like to observe simple things and write about them in different ways. I also write biographically, in first person.
Gemosaurus,

Post up the death and afterlife stories, if you don't mind.

--------

As for me, I wish I wrote more than I actually do. I only -really- write to other people, but I fail to write to myself. This thread inspired me to work on that. Thanks Veritgo, I like what you did with U2 too.

edit: I'm also the type to write about romance and generally medieval tales.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Humor.

Not a very INFP-genre, is it? D: I'm capable of everything else, but [for me] it's hard to write an emotional story, interest the reader, and keep myself interested at the same time. Takes too much time to write out all the plot and background, so I usually give up before I even reach the part I want to get to. Usually, if the writing has a lot of emotion, it's just a rambling piece without any real plot....

Least favorite, though, is definately action. I expand action details way too much, and it's boring to read... and write!

I miss the days where I could write without re-reading and triple-checking every sentence I've written. Does anyone else have that problem?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Lately, I like writing more about human interaction. It's fun for me to imagine how a cold-hearted person might interact with someone who wears his/her heart on his/her sleeve. Opposites, basically.

I can't finish something to save my life, apparently :dry: But I don't really write for other people, so it's alright. I guess.

I'm particularly interested in death and what happens after, and also what happens when humans are extinct, or after humans are close to being extinct, etc.
I used to write this a lot, too :happy: I was more interested in how people dealt with death and what would happen if supernatural-type stuff happened. Like... what would happen if a dead lover came back to life after you moved on? The post-apocolyptic world stuff is fun, too.

Least favorite, though, is definately action. I expand action details way too much, and it's boring to read... and write!

I miss the days where I could write without re-reading and triple-checking every sentence I've written. Does anyone else have that problem?
I have a hard time with action, too. Just can't visualize it enough to write it out. And the inner editor/critic is very harsh; I've put out a contract on it, but it keeps beating up all the hitmen and making them cry.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I find writing quite difficult because I'm more interested in exploring an idea, emotions or simply interactions between people, than I am in laying out action and scenery. I have FAR too much fun in writing dialogue for characters because I get to use humour in the way that I so rarely see in real life. The most important thing to me is for characters to connect to each other, or to want to, because it feels a lot like real-life friendships I see are transient and unimportant to people in the long run (but maybe I'm wrong, I certainly hope so...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Poetry, and a lot of fiction that doesn't really fall into a genre. I'm also good at writing letters to politicians and officials that defend someone or something that needs it.

Poetry is the best though. I will be happy to post some if there is any interest.

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lately, I like writing more about human interaction. It's fun for me to imagine how a cold-hearted person might interact with someone who wears his/her heart on his/her sleeve. Opposites, basically.

I can't finish something to save my life, apparently :dry: But I don't really write for other people, so it's alright.
Ha ha, I'm actually really into the opposites-thing too! In fact, a lot of my characters have been created that way - in pairs, I mean, with their personalities being complete opposites.

D: I don't believe I have finished any story I've started unless it was for an assignment myself, so you're not alone in that.

My INTJ sister just told me that my analytical writing sucks...sob, sob....

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I write fantasy, sci-fi, and/or horror stories with complex subplots and layers of meaning which probably only 2% of a general audience would fully comprehend (at best). But they're enjoyable on any and all levels (hopefully).

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
11 Posts
It varies, but I'm normally most partial to stream-of-consciousness type stuff; borderline kafkaesque, but simpler and with a more optimistic denouement- like lucid dreams captured on paper. I love both detail and ambiguity, so my stories typically have a great deal of one or the other. Most of what I write also has a slightly spiritual or philosophical bent and an element of lostness... I love the feeling of being able to guide a character home, so to speak. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Like Rogosk, I write incomplete ones.

My stories are almost always fantasy, I don't think I could write another genre without elements of fantasy/sci-fi (even if mere undercurrents in the plot) getting into the story. When ever I think of a story, the mental barriers of ideas in my mind break down. It can't help but become a huge expanse of what if's and why nots, there are few can't do's in the mix. I don't think I would be able to completely keep it to the narrow boundaries of reality and be satisfied with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
when i write a short story, i usually start by coming up with a character. i try to go really in depth with them and how they react to things, interact with the other characters, etc. i try to think like them. the stories i write are for the most part very emotional and involve a lot of introspection on the character's part, like he or she has some sort of epiphany or self realization.

however, as much as i love creative writing, i think i'm better at journalistic writing. maybe that's just because i'm not as self-conscious with stories i write for newspaper. they aren't as personal or emotional. writing for newspapers and such is also typically simpler and more straightforward.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i havent written anything since i was in highschool...

in the past, i wrote things that typically involved all sorts of undead creatures and monsters and whatnot having a brutal war against one another, with strong themes of melancholy and all that jazz.

-_-;

one was about humanoid embodiments of the planets and their interactions, the lonliness of Pluto, and the death of one of the planets which resulted in the asteroid belt between mars and jupiter (was before i knew that the asteroid belt wasnt the result of a destroyed planet, but rather debris that was simply not large enough to form together to make a planet).

last short story i wrote was post-apocalyptic in a world utterly ravaged by war, where all humans had become cyborgs who had their emotions deadened by the unending carnage. a small group of soldiers strays off to find the last little bit of greenery and nature left on the planet that they know of, and one of them wonders in the simple beauty in the activities of ants (i always loved watching ants when i was a kid).

... i stopped writing because it struck me that i could never be a really good writer (even though, years later i read the last story and it actually emotionally impacted me, to my surprise).

·
Registered
5 Posts
letter writing

Writing has been one of the great tortures of my life. I started writing poetry at 13 and tried to transition to stories and screenplays and novels as an adult. It is so painful for me to write, I'm so self-conscious and critical, I can't get anywhere.

I don't enjoy lying, and writing fiction feels artificial to me. I'm at my best writing letters to friends and family. Once I know the audience well, for instance a good friend, I open up and write comfortably. Often they write back saying: you should be a writer!

I haven't been able to translate those qualities of letter writing to any other kind of writing. :unsure:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Writing stories is too tedious and although I try, I always stop writing early. I'm too impatient to physically write all of my ideas down on paper. Instead I come up with stories in my head, usually of the fantasy genre. It is essentially the translation of all the events that happen to me in the real world into a fantasy setting. People and obstacles from my life are converted into enemies, allies, or conflicted characters who go about changes of heart from one side to another. The powers they have usually correspond with the effects that these entities had on me. For example, someone who manipulated me in real life, could be translated in to a villain with the power to control people's movements.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most of the time Romances.
I love them, and I assume that I am one the few.

It is much easier for me to write about feelings and the beauty of life, nature, people and describing them. And I enjoy creating scenes and dialogues, where I can play with human's character, moral and their attitude. When I am writing, I feel like the words are sucking me into them, the same with feelings. And love is for me a interesting emotion, it drives people crazy, it gets them to do something they never thought they would do, it gets us into a chaos of feelings and sparks my interest more than drama.
Dramas and what-if-situations and dilemmas.

Besides, I am dreamy and I guess, I belong to those hoepless romantics, so yeah, romance is my genre

1 - 20 of 44 Posts