Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my fellow dreamers, where does your immagination dwell? What sort of daydreams fill your inner life?

Is your immagination more likely to run wild with possibilities pertaining your life and the world around you, such as people and places you know, movie stars, future plans (like your dream house or vacation), or things that actually exist somewhere in the world?

Or are you more likely to spend time daydreaming about purely fictional things from books, movies, games, or things created by your own immagination?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My imagination is kind of an artistic outlet for me. I like to listen to music and create visual imagery in my mind which I try to make flow with the music. I imagine things like kaleidoscopic flowers opening and blossoming when the music hits a crescendo and mathematical shapes (for lack of a better description) which morph and move with the music.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You know i have no idea what i think about when i stare out the window or at the desk surface. Usually about what is going on around me but yea i dont actually know what i was thinking about say today in one of my classes. I was looking at the bottom of the whiteboard but yea, no idea what i was thinking.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most of the time it's about some old stuff. Sometimes a memory that I've had where I try to change what happened. Of coarse that's the more depressing of it all. My happy daydreams usually involve me thinking about my future. I sometimes imagine me teaching a class about something that I'm passionate about. Sometimes I imagine a novel that I'd like to write. Now I just need to carry through and actually try writing it.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I imagine all sorts of things -- worlds in books/movies/television or that I've just made up on my own. I imagine discussions with people that I wish could occur or might occur. I daydream about spending time with people I love. I fantasize about good changes in my life and worry about potential scary changes. I daydream about myself in different situations, places, and times. I write fiction (often with magical realism aspects) and I paint (with colors and scene combinations coming from my imagination). I have difficulty staying mindful -- my brain is always wondering onto one fantasy or another.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ooh fun thread! :happy:

I daydream about everything. Some days it's about traveling the world, often in Europe. Other days I think about different occupations. Some honorable mentions: architect, teacher, author, web comic artist, lawyer. I also think about what it will be like when I have children as they move through various ages.

My favorites lately have been about a sexy frenchman named Remy :tongue: Also about moving away and starting all over somewhere new. Unfortunately, I don't know any French people and even if I did, I'm in a relationship. And I don't have the funds or balls to move somewhere new right now. Thank goodness for daydreams. :laughing:

·
Registered
845 Posts
You spelled imagination wrong but it's okay.
I'm just a realist to the extreme, if I think it's possible, it will happen if I really want it to.

Gtg home. Reply later x

Reactions: Istbkleta

·
Registered
709 Posts
Most of the time I'm having conversations with myself from the perspective of other people or am thinking of various possibilities about a given situation about to encounter. Who knows how many different realities could unfold just by a single decision... it's important for my NF self to explore all the possibilities before taking a course of action!

Just more of imaginative play more than anything, but it certainly passes the time and I really couldn't imagine NOT daydreaming :)

...of course, I'm sure we've all daydreamed about having super powers of sorts as well. :crazy:

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Swashbuckling adventure and crazy antics. Mostly in some fantasy world.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's quite a smorgasbord, really. A little bit of everything. We have the fantasy aspects - frequently inspired by games, anime, books and other fictional media. Sometimes I will imagine how original content I have thought up would fit into existing games, for example. How the plotlines would change, how the scenes would play out, how the gameplay mechanics would be. Sometimes, I even come up with ideas for my own games or shows, or indulge in something of a derivative of pretend play by 'immersing' myself in alternate worlds in reality. This is the kind of imagination that has been rife in me since childhood. Ofttimes I would entertain myself during boring shopping trips or solitary periods on the playground just by dreaming up all manner of things. The fires aren't as intense, perhaps, but still they burn.

Then there is a more... how would I call it... abstract, almost 'epic' variety. Sometimes I will become inspired by something and think to myself in monologues and prose, often melodramatic and sweeping in nature. I actually find it more helpful to think in languages I can't actually speak properly, such as German or Japanese, because it frees me up from the laborious task of having to find words and I can solely concentrate on the 'feeling' or 'meaning' behind them as it spontaneously unfolds... but if I do think in English, often my best writing is done in these kind of unprompted trance states, which also happen to be the time I am least likely to have access to any writing materials. This came to the fore in my teens, I believe.

Then there are more emotive and realistic aspects. Sometimes I will come up with thought experiments, such as what would happen if I was breaking up with a loved one, or I had just given birth to a child, or I was being threatened by an axe-wielding maniac or something like that, and really put myself in that situation. It's surprising how emotional I can become sometimes in those trains of thought. I have to suppress tears in public, depending! I also contemplate meeting people I would like to meet, write letters in my head, hold conversations. Sometimes I imagine I'm in the real world yet have control over time and space, such that I can essentially fly anywhere, do anything and meet anyone I want, from the past or from the future. That can be fun. Rarely do I seriously contemplate my future, though it is sometimes inspiring to think of all the possibilities - and as I am a hopeless nostalgic sometimes I just enjoy revisiting my favourite memories and reliving them all over again.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Usually my daydreams have to do with fantasy or occasionally sci-fi or historical fiction stories that I make up myself. I may work on creating a world with different creatures and landscapes and histories, or I may take certain characters and put them in different situations or conversations, trying out different possibilities. I rarely immagine 'fan fiction' of any kind, and I don't usually immagine myself in the future, or in other situations. I do enjoy identifying with different characters I immagine, but I don't think of them as being myself, even when the story is more of an escapist wish-fullfillment type of scenario.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I imagine so many things. Most of the time I just make up random stories in my head. Other times I imagine what my life could be like in the future. I also try to imagine my friends lives in the future. I also daydream about how my life could be different if I did things differently. I also imagine meeting my favorite actors, singers, and writers. I sometimes imagine certain bad things happening in the future and thinking of how I would deal with them. I daydream a lot.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I envy many other NFs at times in that they often seem much more imaginative than I am. When I refer to my "fantasy world," it's generally just an alternate version of reality. When I "daydream," it's like I go back and "correct" what has happened or what will probably happen so that I see what I wish had happened in the past or what I hope will happen in the future--no matter how realistic or unrealistic those fantasies may be.

It's all very grounded, as in it's not sci-fi or set in medieval times or anything such as that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I usually imagine a lot stuff, from fantasy to real life situation. As long as there is a topic, I can imagine it. Just last week, my teacher was talking share price, how company A's lower share price will affect company B's shares and that the other company should fight it or something. I immediately start thinking that the fight will be like war kind of situation, where company B employees storm in and try to break the 'front line' (it was called the 'receptionist line' in my head ^^). There were pen flying like arrows, printer as heavy machine gun and etc etc.....

It fun imagining stuff like this ^__^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most of my time is spent fantasizing about other people, especially the person I fancy. ;P
Honestly, sometimes I worry I spend more time fantasizing about amazing situations then actually going out and experiencing them, haha. It's just much safer to think about doing something than actually doing it.

I fantasize about doing things which I'm far too timid in real life to ever attempt, such as wildly partying, performing onstage or making out with someone. I only wish I were as exuberant and outgoing as my fantasy self!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Making stories for my characters, living in the clouds, fighting battles, dancing, all in fantasy settings of course... ;) Mostly being someone I am not, like a blimp pilot. Or coming up with scinarios that could happen, like if lava came down the hallway what would I do and how would other people react?!?!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Pretty boring but persistent:

Sex

Interior design ideas

Fashion design ideas

Plan for the day, year, rest of my life

Occasionally I have superpowers, or I am a werecat...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I often times find myself daydreaming of a world that is peaceful. Of course, that will never happen, but it's nice to think of something like that actually occurring in the future.

Umm, I find myself daydreaming about flying carpets, being in cartoons, and in the past such as Ancient Rome, or Egypt. I actually had a very lucid dream once of being in Ancient Egypt, and I was some sort of Magician. When I woke up, I was so pissed off, cause I hated reality after seeing such an exciting dream.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
On good days I daydream about things like playing on the playground.
On bad days I daydream about finding a girlfriend.
On depressified days I daydream about killing myself... good thing I don't get depressed like that very often.

Of course those aren't the only things I daydream about, they are just the most common things I daydream about.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts