Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of voice do girls like in a guy? I have a deep voice and it seems really manly. But on the other hand my voice seems soft. I've had a few people say I seem soft spoken. I sometimes don't project my voice loud enough. I sometimes have to repeat what I say. It seems like I mumble and sometimes it sounds very quiet. Lol I get this on the phone when speaking to people. I keep thinking it is the phone lol. Many people on the phone think I'm a older person because of the voice. A few people say my voice is calm and relaxing to listen to.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Lol I get this on the phone when speaking to people. I keep thinking it is the phone lol. Many people on the phone think I'm a older person because of the voice. A few people say my voice is calm and relaxing to listen to.
Cheap microphones have trouble picking up audio at a lower pitch. Also, people consistently mistake me for my dad when I answer the phone at home.

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
Though the tone of it would have some effect, I would assume it is what is said and how it is said that is most effective.
When you hear someone speak with great passion about something it jacks up you, when someone sounds like they mean what they say its great. Some people are bubbly and talk fast and lively thats nice sometimes, for others its slow and steady.
Just talk comfortably but I guess speaking at an audible level is handy, I sometimes mumble because I just dont feel like being loud

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Sexiest voice ever.

I like really steady, even voices with little inflection. Pitch doesn't really factor into it for me.
Ralph Fiennes is cool. That is a great movie

Two prior lady friends have loved my voice. I don't really know why. It is very low, and I don't have much inflection, as Miss Knittigan mentioned, so maybe that is what makes women like voices, I don't know.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Depends haha... I actually had a crush on a guy who had this really deep voice and I thought it was adorable and to be honest, i probably had more a crush on his voice than him hahaha.

Ultimately tho, it doesnt matter too much. My current boyfriend doesnt really have a deep voice - its pretty average - but I've become accustomed to it and love it anyway :) Dont worry too much about it

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I like my partner's voice, whatever it's like. I tend to prefer slightly deep voices, that convey emotions well. Meaning I can feel from the inflections of his voice and his tone exactly what he's feeling, I love that. A warm voice is amazing to me.

Reactions: Siren

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If it sounds like a girls voice at all, we probably won't care for it much.
I've asked around about my voice, because my voice was late in breaking, I always assumed I have a high voice. IRL, many people have told me I don't have a particularly high voice. However, on the phone, especially if it's a sales call from abroad (not the UK), then a lot of phone operatives mistake me for a girl. My friends didn't believe me until a couple saw it. "And how can I help ma'am?" is now a phrase that just makes me giggle. According to my closest friend (a woman) it's because I have "polite telephone manners", and so people assume I'm just a husky woman lol. Me, I have no idea why it happens haha.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I've asked around about my voice, because my voice was late in breaking, I always assumed I have a high voice. IRL, many people have told me I don't have a particularly high voice. However, on the phone, especially if it's a sales call from abroad (not the UK), then a lot of phone operatives mistake me for a girl. My friends didn't believe me until a couple saw it. "And how can I help ma'am?" is now a phrase that just makes me giggle. According to my closest friend (a woman) it's because I have "polite telephone manners", and so people assume I'm just a husky woman lol. Me, I have no idea why it happens haha.

Yeah I have noticed that a lot of guys have a higher pitched voice on the phone. But that's not the one I care about.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I remember reading a study on this...

Girls like guys with deeper voices. It suggests health/fertility and strength... attractive traits for a mate.

Guys like girls with higher pitch voices. It suggests youth and fertility.

I've had people (both guys and girls) tell me I have a very good voice. Its deep, but deep in a bass-like way, still hitting normal/high note. Like the kind of voice that would make a good audio book reader.

·
Registered
INFP
95 Posts
OP - soft spoken and deep??!? THAT SOUNDS GORGEOUS <3
gorgeous because the deep bit = manliness and if you are soft spoken, that makes, like, the perfect contrast between gentle and manly. EEK!!!! ^_^~~
I totally agree with you; i love that, too! ^^ I prefer deep voices but warm. Inflections makes it sound even more special/adorable :D

Reactions: sleepyhead

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I love my boyfriends voice, especially when he laughs. It's a deep and hearty laugh. He is pretty soft spoken as well, except when animated.

Reactions: knittigan

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
What type of voice do girls like in a guy? I have a deep voice and it seems really manly. But on the other hand my voice seems soft. I've had a few people say I seem soft spoken. I sometimes don't project my voice loud enough. I sometimes have to repeat what I say. It seems like I mumble and sometimes it sounds very quiet. Lol I get this on the phone when speaking to people. I keep thinking it is the phone lol. Many people on the phone think I'm a older person because of the voice. A few people say my voice is calm and relaxing to listen to.
Deep, assertive, sensual.

Greatest Love - Episode 8 - Watch Full Episodes Free on DramaFever

Dark pinstripe suit guy [Cha Seung Won], who talks the longest in the beginning. Mmmhmmm. Mmmm.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Two words-Sensual and sexy. ;-P

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I seem to have a deeper voice on the phone as opposed to a higher one, and I get mistaken for my dad on the phone all the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am hyper-sensitive to voices and it is a good question that you ask.

In general, I don't care for nasal voices. I can't watch a movie with Viggo Mortensen because his voice drives me crazy!!! But really, I am sensitive to voices because I my SE picks up a LOT of high-quality info about people from how they speak, as opposed to what they say or what their natural tone of voice is. In particular, confidence levels, authenticity, feeling and motivation can all be conveyed very simply and quickly from tone of voice. I often rely on it more than facial cues, and I bet a lot of INFJ's use it to help form their creepily accurate predictions of peoples character and behavior.

Some examples:

1. I started work last summer alongside a new co-worker. Within 5 seconds of him walking into the room and introducing himself I got a bad feeling. He spoke overly-loud, theatrically, with a superhuman amount of self-assurance and boisterous friendliness. I didn't trust him at all, he sounded fake and pretentious to me. I complained about him that night to my boyfriend and predicted that he would be a pain in the ass all summer who was going to try and make himself look better at the expense of others. My boyfriend (as always) said I was being negative, judgmental, and unfair; after all, I'd only just met him, how could I know?

He turned out to be super-manipulative, pretentious and obnoxious and constantly tried to maneuver to put himself above us all summer by sucking up to our boss and taking credit for work he didn't do. My boss got so fed up with him she eventually gave him busy work and let him go as soon as she could.

2. My sister is a super-social ESFJ who puts all her self-worth in her friends' and coworkers' opinions of her. I only have to hear her talk for about 3 seconds to tell when she has her "fake voice" on; a voice that is overly-enthusiastic and slightly higher-pitched than normal. When her "fake voice" is on she will agree with whatever you are saying, say what she thinks you want to hear, try to be really agreeable and generally be, well, super-fake. As an INFJ who values sincerity it drives me crazy. When she comes home from work (she waitresses part-time) she is still in her fake people-pleasing mode and it can last a few hours before it fades. And it's def. most obvious from her voice. When she is exaggerating or in a dramatic-storytelling-mode her voice fluctuates up and down wildly and she pauses and lingers over words for effect quite a lot. Vocal cues like this are important indicators of authenticity and motivation as well.

3. I am lucky enough to have a boss who is clinically ADHD and OCD :/. She can reach near-spastic states of excitement and hyperventilation over the organizational state of a filing cabinet holding documents no one looks at from 30 years ago. It is imperative to note the increased intensity and accentuation of her words, an increase in tone or pitch, or faster rate of speaking immediately in order to predict and deflect a possible meltdown before it occurs.

So what I'm trying to say is that it's not necessarily your natural tone of voice but how you use it that matters. Even with Ralph Fiennes's rather nasal voice it is so pleasant to listen to because he uses it soothingly, with gentle smoothness and slight but sincere inflection of emotion that means so much more than just the raw tone/pitch of his voice.

If you have a deep voice I would try to enunciate clearly and avoid mumbling so people can understand you, or they may think you are too shy or unsure of yourself and try to write you off/walk all over you. They may talk over you or not respond to what you just said because they didn't quite catch it and don't want to ask you to repeat yourself. Use more intonation and inflection in your voice to convey meaning (loud/soft or high/low), this will also help your voice carry better over the phone. Show your confidence through your voice, but let it come naturally, don't push it or you will risk sounding artificial and forced which may make people distrust you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts