Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh man I got some stories for this thread. Warning: It's gonna get rather tangential.

I have a very wide circle of acquaintances and as a result I know plenty of hipsters and hipster-esque peeps. Though I can think of at least one of every type, it seems to be overwhelmingly NFs with a fair amount of NTs and some SPs thrown in, especially xSFPs. Some of the real quiet sensitive singer-songwriters around here are ISFPs.

There are even a few SJs in this mix:

-A punk rocker + doom metal musician whom I've typed as ISTJ. He's obsessed with military history and keeps threatening to join the Marine Corps. He tends to be the stick-in-the-mud (as some friends of mine perceive him) rules enforcer at parties and other social gatherings, though I think he's a pretty cool dude; one of my housemates (INFJ w/ NPD...puts on a fake ESFP persona in front of people she doesn't know very well) dated him briefly and she didn't have thick enough skin to handle his rigid, serious personality.

-An ESTJ chick who is very active in the scene and promotes/puts on a lot of indie rock and experimental shows at small local venues. She's usually really laid back and has a great sense of humor but when it's time to get down to business and make sure a show is running smoothly, she can be a force to be reckoned with; zero tolerance for inefficiency or incompetence! Her "loyality to tradition" inherent in the ESTJ stereotype is her intense loyalty to the local music scene.

ESFJ - This chick who is a drunken hot mess but has a really good heart and will usually end up doing the right thing in trying situations. She often gets momentarily enraged at my dry sarcasm and weird back-handed compliments. Afterward I try to explain the joke rationally but she just reacts with emotional fury; she's a hothead who likes to pick fights.

SPs:

The ESTP sidekick of the above-mentioned ESTJ, he's a pretty good friend of mine, a bottomless fountain of obscure film knowledge, he comes across in appearance and speech as a very stereotypical hipster but really he's just a really hilarious film geek.

A know a small handful over other ESTPs who hang around the hipster scene but are too self-confident to completely dress and act the stereotype. They're fun drinking buddies and good people to collaborate with when it comes to planning awesome parties but I never find myself getting into the deepest philosophical discussions with them.

A few other types too but I can't really think at this moment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are no "brands" of hipsters based on MBTI types; thinking such a thing is pure crazy talk. In my locale there are overlapping cliques of hipsters. Within each group is a variety of types but the NFs seem to be in the majority. Overall, they seem to be slightly more extroverted than introverted but that is just from my personal observations based on who is out and about on a regular basis. In my experience, the most talented musicians and artists are typically I's.

Finally, the idea of what a "hipster" is has become so blurred over the past 10 years or go. Hipster culture has been commodified, mass marketed and homogenized to the point where it's essentially gone semi-mainstream. It's become just another lifestyle product brand for North American consumerbots to embrace. Conceivably, any type can now comfortably jump on the hipster bandwagon. In years past you would probably find few, if any, SJ types involved in a counterculture. Today there is practically no cultural stigma (at least in the larger metro areas) against things like sleeve tattoos, multiple piercings, over-sized plastic frame glasses, ironic mustaches and using a bicycle as a primary means of transport.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit of a hipster... But then I realize that un-ironically considering the possibility of being a hipster automatically disqualifies you. True hipsters know they are not hipsters.

:tongue:

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are no "brands" of hipsters based on MBTI types; thinking such a thing is pure crazy talk. In my locale there are overlapping cliques of hipsters. Within each group is a variety of types but the NFs seem to be in the majority. Overall, they seem to be slightly more extroverted than introverted but that is just from my personal observations based on who is out and about on a regular basis. In my experience, the most talented musicians and artists are typically I's.

Finally, the idea of what a "hipster" is has become so blurred over the past 10 years or go. Hipster culture has been commodified, mass marketed and homogenized to the point where it's essentially gone semi-mainstream. It's become just another lifestyle product brand for North American consumerbots to embrace. Conceivably, any type can now comfortably jump on the hipster bandwagon. In years past you would probably find few, if any, SJ types involved in a counterculture. Today there is practically no cultural stigma (at least in the larger metro areas) against things like sleeve tattoos, multiple piercings, over-sized plastic frame glasses, ironic mustaches and using a bicycle as a primary means of transport.
This man is correct. The word is as specific as hippie or redneck. The pure essence of the word has been lost imo. You especially cannot pinpoint an entire group of people to a single MBTI. The stereotypical hipster, to me, is someone who is outwardly focused on fashion, cutting-edge trends, while simultaneously maintaining their own sense of integrity and uniqueness. I guess you could call it someone who is a free spirit and actively tries to prove their free spirit to others. ESFP, ISFP, and ENFP are mostly likely the types you will find within stereotypical groups of hipsters. However, just like there are ESFP and INTJ businessmen, there are definitely ESFP and INTJ hipsters.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Extraverted, to be sure. The nice thing about introverts is that they don't force their quirks upon the rest of the world.
Bah. Sorry but no. l would say that's true about many introverts but l sense a quiet sort of attention seeking quality from some. This isn't "forcing" quirks on people but it is drawing attention to your own qualities.

And in the case of introvert hipsters, they love to draw attention to how "awkward" and socially unsuccessful they are. Notice how they bring it up randomly and interject the topic into any conversation.

lntroverts are guilty of a lot more of this behavior than people think, maybe that is why so many people are drawn to the introvert persona in the first place. It can serve as a cover or excuse for a lot of undesirable traits.

But in no way am l equating hipster with introvert or introvert with hipster/special snowflake/subtle attention seeker.

Reactions: Joseph

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
First, let's be clear, we're talking stereotypes, so this is not reflective of truth in any way. It's just a fun exercise in offending certain types.

Pe doms excluding ESTPs (ESTPs can't be hipsters, they're antithetical to hipsterness, afterall they're the jocks and bullies who make the hipsters cry)... - these are the hipster army, they follow the trends of their introverted hipster friends. Though, they may make designs and actually produce clothing for the hordes of hipster conformists out there.

ISFPs - this is the most elitist type of hipster. No one is as (not)-hipster and authentic as this hipster. Thinks they're a type 4w3 but really they're a type 3w4. They're bohemian artists, unknown, the Van Goghs of their time...

INFJs - this is the second most elitist hipster. As an INFJ, they repress their Fe in order to reject the people around them and set a clear path to hipsterdom. The hipster type most likely to wear a hat and bulky black frame glasses. The intellectual hipster. A future Allen Ginsberg, but slim and anorexic and heteronormative.

INTJ - this is the only true hipster, because they're the only people who actually don't give a fuck what anybody thinks about them.

INTP - Like the Pe doms. They lack a hipster vision and instead are the brains behind the scenes. They don't really add anything, they just reveal the coolness of what is already there in a new light that makes them sound like prophets to the hordes.

SJs - they're only hipsters 5 months too late. They're just getting into the latest fashion when the army has moved on. "Typical SJs" say the hipsters.

INFPs - They are like the INTJs in being the only true hipsters, but since they're 4w5 they reject their hipsterness like Simone Weil rejected her Jewishness. So to be fair to their sensitive Fi-dom-ness, they along with ESTPs and SJs are the only non-hipsters.

I hope everyone is completely offended.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well if we're talking stereotypically, then the ones I see around I've noticed are normally ESFPs, but only because they 'try' to be hipsters. If we're talking full on hipsters - really ARE different - INTJ. Two of my best friends are INTJs and they are the most hipster people I know, and they don't even know it. Which in my opinion makes them both even more of a hipster haha.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I always thought hipsters were supposed to be stereotypical artisan types, maybe INFP, but defiantly SFP. I live in the hipster capital of the Midwest and most are kind ISFPish, they all major in Art or English and hang out at the Apple Store, hipster culture is kind of Fi driven as I have observed in my city (can't speak for everyone else). I hang out with the liberal environmentalist borderline hippie humanitarian intellectuals, which seems a little more NF-NT driven. SJ types are to busy with church.

BTW INTJs and NTPs make the best hipsters because they are unaware of social norms, and we dress like that anyways (think Cosmo Kramer), and don't give a f*ck. We are painfully unaware that we come off as hipsters, people constantly call me one and I in no way shape or form associate myself with that crowd, nor do I aspire to that title.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts