Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of putting religion too, but I think that can be a bit complicated since it involves values and is arguably less superficial. Btw not saying having preferences is racist or anything (even if it's largely dictated by environment), but anyway.

Especially for women, but also for men, since men seem more open to 'interracial dating/marriage' aside from maybe Asian women.

Of course tolerance/openness/preference isn't necessarily type related, but for the sake of this let's assume it's a factor.

My guess would be INFP or INTP, and possibly ENFP, since while the physical may still be a factor in most cases(we're all still creatures driven by biological urges, after all), they're less likely to put emphasis on it, either to exclude a member of another 'race' or fetishise them. Also being introverted they're less likely to be influenced by peers. Fi would focus more on emotional fulfilment/and alignment of values, rather than fitting into social norms. Fi is more likely to not want to conform to the wishes of society/family if the pairing is not accepted. Ti would just think it's stupid. ENFPs, unless they're too influenced by peers, are Ne-doms so always open to new possibilities. P would be less likely to make hard and fast decisions based on these sort of things.

The least likely would be the most conventional: basically the SJs: ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESFJ. The majority of people will still date within their 'in group', either through convenience or choice. Unless dating outside of that group becomes the norm. In a way, SJs don't seem to be liberal or progressive in the pure sense of the word: if they are, it's because society has already become that way, so they're just following the status quo.

What do you think? I'm especially thinking serious relationships/marriage, not just flings, which is a bit different.

Personally while I admit I have preferences, I wouldn't totally exclude any 'race'/ethnicity/nationality/culture (religion it depends, as long as they weren't too dogmatic about their belief or lack thereof) as long as we could communicate well. I think a relationship with someone of another culture could be interesting, but not in a fethistic way.

To me people are people (cliche I know) and I think while there are cultural differences, individual differences stand out more and shine through. We're a lot more similar than alike. I'm an INFP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with you. It is more likely for xNxP-types. I think mostly because of the Ne-function they all share. Ne is open-minded, an out-of-the-box function...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think how tied ethnicity and culture are make a big difference.

My mom (ESFJ and Mexican herself) told me when I started dating not to go for a traditional Mexican man. I'm from California, and in our area particularly(the agricultural hub), there is a heavy concentration of Mexican men who believe in the ideas of machismo and female obedience.

For an independent and self-sufficient INFJ, it would have been a terrible fit, and she recognized that. But it really boiled down to the culture specifically, not ethnicity. When I was dating, pretty much everything was on the board.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I'm an INFP, white, Norwegian, and my partner is East Indian. I don't really care about ethnicity. I could date any of them. What I don't want is a relationship strongly affected by religion. My partner grew up in an English speaking country and he does not care about religion or his traditional culture, I think. He is an INTP. If we ever are to marry one day, I wouldn't mind having a mix of Indian and Norwegian culture in our wedding. Indian and Norwegian weddings are extremely different from each other.

I would not want a relationship based on culture, religion or tradition in general. I don't see marriage as necessary, and I think I'm indifferent to it. I want a relationship with someone who understands me, and someone I can understand.

·
Read Only
167 Posts
The nameless composer, I am an ESFJ who married outside my ethnicity, religion and nationality. Forget tradition ..I have Fe. The heart wants what the heart wants.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm ISTP, and white, and I'm attracted to all ethnicities. Most of my relationships have been interracial, only one was the same race as me. One was Korean, one was mixed Hispanic, current is Chinese.

I guess the only thing that's troubling is sometimes the different values coming from families from other countries. Nothing wrong with my current girlfriend, but her family is pretty strict and more traditionally Chinese, and they don't approve of same sex relationships, and they're also super Christian. My girlfriend has kept our relationship a secret from them, even though we're both adults. They're still very protective and worried about her even though she lives far from them across the country, so it makes it kind of difficult to take her on long vacations and such with me, and will be even harder if we want to get more serious and settle down together. It's mostly because her parents are falling ill and she doesn't want to add more stress onto them. I don't think they'd approve of me as a partner even though they're fine with me being her friend. I mean, definitely not looking for their approval but from her side, it's different.

It's complicated.

But yeah.

Reactions: Ax

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
i was thinking of putting religion too, but I think that can be a bit complicated since it involves values and is arguably less superficial. Btw not saying having preferences is racist or anything (even if it's largely dictated by environment), but anyway.

anyone with Si inferior. Ie ENTP.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't think type really matters in this, it's personal preferences and upbringing. I'm an NF and am pretty much only attracted to men of my own race, while I know an ESTJ who's dated interracially many times.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I doubt type matters, unless all the stereotypes about SJs are true.
I have an INFJ (I think) childhood friend who's always been quite.... Racist... But that's justher and her upbringing and lack of intercultural exposure...

Out of my friends actually yeah, me and my INFP friend are most prone to dating internationally (maybe because we both live abroad) - she's been with a Muslim man, I'm dating a middle- eastern guy as well.

My suggestion is actually to date interculturally - the amount of things you can learn....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm an ISFJ ,,
I would never date someone who isn't of the same religion ,, that's a definite.
but in terms of race, ethnicity, and culture I'm very open minded ,,

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
This is more dependent on culture and personal experiences than MBTI, IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts