Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what types do you think Bill Murray's (Bob Harris) and Scarlett Johanssen's (Charlotte) characters are in Lost in Translation?

·
Banned
379 Posts
charlotte is DEF an INFJ. and bill and ENTP. i rarely ever meet ENTP's but when i do...its pretty powerful...just like in the movie...

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
charlotte is DEF an INFJ. and bill and ENTP. i rarely ever meet ENTP's but when i do...its pretty powerful...just like in the movie...

Can you give me some reasons why she is INFJ in your opinion? I am still learning what to look for in types. It's been a while since I watched it but I was getting a P vibe from her.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Can you give me some reasons why she is INFJ in your opinion? I am still learning what to look for in types. It's been a while since I watched it but I was getting a P vibe from her.
INFJ's often test as INFP's because we are the least J's of all the J types. we have deep convoluted personalities. charlotte is very introspective...VERY INFJ. And another reoccuring theme i find with INFJ's, we're always contemplating things, life, the state of things...like in charlotte's case, what she wants to do with her life, how she feels about her relationship to her husband, the meaning of life, love, and her place in it all. INFJ's are deep in this way. but we hardly ever show it because we have difficulty expressing all the turmoil inside. we're very serious ppl when you meet us. we hate shallow interactions and prefer deep meaningful conversations. and our humor can be a bit dry, but we can be very witty. i am 100% certain charlotte is an INFJ. my ex-bf is an ESFP (a total dummy) and he totally couldn't get me. we watched the movie together one day and there was like a a-ha moment for him. he was like...this is you. unfortunately, i related a bit too much to the movie because charlotte's husband was spot on my ex-bf. we broke up due to the inability to really connect...or more so...the inability for him to really connect to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
INFJ's often test as INFP's because we are the least J's of all the J types. we have deep convoluted personalities. charlotte is very introspective...VERY INFJ. And another reoccuring theme i find with INFJ's, we're always contemplating things, life, the state of things...like in charlotte's case, what she wants to do with her life, how she feels about her relationship to her husband, the meaning of life, love, and her place in it all. INFJ's are deep in this way. but we hardly ever show it because we have difficulty expressing all the turmoil inside. we're very serious ppl when you meet us. we hate shallow interactions and prefer deep meaningful conversations. and our humor can be a bit dry, but we can be very witty. i am 100% certain charlotte is an INFJ. my ex-bf is an ESFP (a total dummy) and he totally couldn't get me. we watched the movie together one day and there was like a a-ha moment for him. he was like...this is you. unfortunately, i related a bit too much to the movie because charlotte's husband was spot on my ex-bf. we broke up due to the inability to really connect...or more so...the inability for him to really connect to me.
good points but everything you just said could be attributed to INTP's as well and maybe even INFP'S

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Charlotte is an INTP and Bob an ENTP. It's obvious to me.

To me it is a great example of this type of relationship. Bob brings out Charlottes' Ne and entertains her and she does something similar to him but with Ti. He recognises that she is similar to him but thinks deeper. Whereas others probably wouldn't even see the similarities between the two, for the INTP and ENTP it is undeniable.

I think the reason people are typing Charlotte as F types may be because she seems to be more enneagram type 9 or 4 and INTP's are stereotypically seem as classic type 5's... That's my explanation in terms of enneagram anyway for why people think she is an F type. I think she is clearly an INTP if you look at functions.

Also, I'm not basing my typing on this but I really relate to her. and I am also an INTP female who probably comes across as a Feeling type to a lot of people... A lot of the characters I relate to are of other types but she is actually the character I most relate and she happens to also be an INTP so yeah I am basically her...ha

·
Registered
345 Posts
Charlotte is an INTP and Bob an ENTP. It's obvious to me.

To me it is a great example of this type of relationship. Bob brings out Charlottes' Ne and entertains her and she does something similar to him but with Ti. He recognises that she is similar to him but thinks deeper. Whereas others probably wouldn't even see the similarities between the two, for the INTP and ENTP it is undeniable.

I think the reason people are typing Charlotte as F types may be because she seems to be more enneagram type 9 or 4 and INTP's are stereotypically seem as classic type 5's... That's my explanation in terms of enneagram anyway for why people think she is an F type. I think she is clearly an INTP if you look at functions.

Also, I'm not basing my typing on this but I really relate to her. and I am also an INTP female who probably comes across as a Feeling type to a lot of people... A lot of the characters I relate to are of other types but she is actually the character I most relate and she happens to also be an INTP so yeah I am basically her...ha
I thought Charlotte could be an ISTP because of her major Ti-dom, but I mostly saw Ne in her search for self. Both of them were bouncing around and she was kind of put on the back burner by her husband. :x Bob was burnt, going through the motions, but totally put-off a lot of sensory things, I think. They didn't adapt really to the culture change either.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I thought Charlotte could be an ISTP because of her major Ti-dom, but I mostly saw Ne in her search for self. Both of them were bouncing around and she was kind of put on the back burner by her husband. :x Bob was burnt, going through the motions, but totally put-off a lot of sensory things, I think. They didn't adapt really to the culture change either.
Well, I've seen Scarlett Johansson herself typed as ISTP a lot which I'd tend to agree with. But yeah Charlotte definitely seems an intuitive. Definitely Scarlett's best acting I've seen by far as well! Nice and subtle but so good imo. Just like the whole film.

·
Registered
INFJ
1,555 Posts
I love that movie!

It’s so rare to see a film about a true connection/friendship between a male and a female that isn’t sexual.

I agree that she’s INFJ for all the obvious reasons you mentioned.

As for him, likely ENTP.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of Charlottes enneagram type? I relate to so much more than any other character like she is me. So I never usually do this but I will actually use whatever enneagram type she is to help me find my own type.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've just re-watched this movie, and I think Bill Murray is basically playing himself in this movie.
Both characters are definitely introverts, as they rarely have much to say, and instead communicate with body language.
Bill Murray's character keeps a lot to himself, but occasionally a funny spontaneous side of him appears. His weak point appears to be in expressing his feelings, although he overcomes this at the very end.
Scarlett Johanssen's character also keeps a lot to herself, but occasionally an imaginative and adventurous side of her appears. Her weak point appears to be in making logical sense of her situation and what to do with her future (a degree she doesn't use, being overly dependent on her husband, being lost of what to do without him).

Side note, if these characters didn't end up getting married, it would be the crime of the century.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts