Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for a person with INTJ-like tendencies to be mistyped as an ISTJ? Also, is there another type that we might be mistaken for?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not exactly sure what type I am. I can't decide which type sounds most like me. I'll have to go back to the find my personality type forum again. *sighs*

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I will almost always type as an INTJ on the tests and on occasion an INTP, but I don't hold too much weight in the tests.

After reading the cognitive functions I was certain that I am an INTJ especially focusing on Fi as my tertiary function. It was the key give away in the end.

The types I get mistyped as by other people are: ENTJ , INFJ and sometimes INTP

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've gotten ISTJ results occasionally. My S/N is undoubtedly on the fence, but I know which way it usually leans. I was told that I "developed" my S over time. Whatever that means.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's one mediocre test that seems to think I'm an INTP, but I think it's due to the questions.

In every other case I come in an as INTJ, and people who know MBTI who encounter me IRL say as much.

*shrugs*

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Probably INTP or ENTJ. Strangely enough, sometimes ISTPs are hard to distinguish from INTJs. Some INTJs may seem INFJ-ish, since not all INFJs have stereotypical warm Fe.

It seems ISTJs are more likely mistyped as INTJ than vice verse.

Reactions: beth x and lirulin

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Sometimes I get ISTJ and sometimes I get INTP. I can relate a little to both actually.

Again, a lot of the online tests don't seem to understand the difference between S and N. Same thing goes for P and J which is funny because those are the two switches that make the most difference.

·
Registered
782 Posts
quite a few, tbh. there's INFP[common mistype], ENFP, ENTJ, ESTJ, ESTP...
but certainly not: ESFJ, ISFJ, ESFP, ENFJ.
i think.
honestly, sometimes i don't even know if im INTJ or not. id rather stick with my enneagram type.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
A number of people thought I was INTP. The same people, generally, thought I was into marijuana. I'm really just a bit spaced-out is all. Some people have accused me of being an F, but that is usually in a debate if they are trying to portray my points as a result of emotion so that they don't have to, you know, actually address them. I love being female.

ISTP is weirdly similar, but I doubt it would be a common mistype. ENTJ might be, as they are not stereotypically extravert. ISTJs might think they are INTJs but I don't think it works the other way around as much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it's important to remember that neither Jung nor Meyers & Briggs intended for this to be a "typecast", you're this type or you're not. Rather it was meant to infer your typical responses to systems around you. I think it's too easy to just say, "Well folks, I'm an INTJ, so deal with it and move on."

I strongly suggest using the MBTI system more as a means for personal reflection, "This is how I will normally react/behave without thinking, but what would be a better option for me (if any)?" Obviously that is a perfect world situation. It can be very relieving to know that your "typical" behaviors are shared among others, but I don't think we should ever hide behind it as an excuse.

Also, we are all known to use all functions EI/SN/TF/JP in different ways at different times. When life is hard, I see myself default to INTJ. But when life is good, I tend to be very outgoing (E) and tend to be more open to P rather than J... so then the tests would likely tell me a lot of different things...

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Filo
1 - 15 of 15 Posts