Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I ask as I sit up in bed at two in the morning. For as long as I can remember I have hated bedtime. I just can't turn my brain off so it's hard to unwind and fall asleep. Bedtime always feels kind of sad or something to me too.

Problem is, when I do fall asleep I'm an incredibly deep sleeper who often sleeps through my alarm. I have a whole series of alarms in place to get me to wake up.

Just wondering if this behavior somehow points to any particular "type", as I have ESFJ and ESFP friends who never seem to have issues with this... They're asleep before they hit the pillow.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
For me, sleep is very difficult without Melatonin. I have a hard time shutting off my brain, but I think that's more of a function of being a strong 9w8 than a type ESFJ.

-ZDD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, sleep is very difficult without Melatonin. I have a hard time shutting off my brain, but I think that's more of a function of being a strong 9w8 than a type ESFJ.

-ZDD
Interesting. I'm a type 8w7 (although there's an outside chance I could be an 8w9 or a 7w8). I wonder if any of those would also point to this problem with the mind not turning off.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Interesting. I'm a type 8w7 (although there's an outside chance I could be an 8w9 or a 7w8). I wonder if any of those would also point to this problem with the mind not turning off.
Could be. From what I've read about people who identify with Type 8, they are a forceful personality, which would seem that they have a lot of mental energy built up. Perhaps you just need a way to release before going to bed. Exercise? Sudoku? I doubt chemicals would be as enjoyable for an 8 as they are for 9's. Type 9's are all about comfort and ease.

-ZDD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be. From what I've read about people who identify with Type 8, they are a forceful personality, which would seem that they have a lot of mental energy built up. Perhaps you just need a way to release before going to bed. Exercise? Sudoku? I doubt chemicals would be as enjoyable for an 8 as they are for 9's. Type 9's are all about comfort and ease.

-ZDD
Heh, never even thought of trying excercise before bed... And you're right about the chemicals... I bought a bunch of melatonin and it does me no good.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Heh, never even thought of trying excercise before bed... And you're right about the chemicals... I bought a bunch of melatonin and it does me no good.
For me, it would wire me up so much that I'd never sleep, but you might find that it burns off your excess energy allowing you to comfortably rest.

- ZDD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may be on to something there @Zombie Devil Duckie

In fact, I think my husband must know me better than I know myself. Last week I was wound up and couldn't calm down/ turn my mind off and my husband suddenly opened his palms and said, "why don't you punch my hands. For a bit? Let off some steam." After I did that he gave me a bunch of balled up socks and suggested we play horse with them using a basket hung high on the other side of the room. After all that activity I felt so relaxed.

I will be planning some night time exercise and competition gaming for my evenings now. :)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts

-ZDD
Same here. I got ADD though, so that is enough explanation why I have sleep difficulties.

(My type is INFP and if I'm accurate 6w5. I'm very anxious, and I can understand if that's not helping me to fall asleep.)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Probably sevens would want to manically pursue their interests all night and detest sleepy time.

The question is pretty absurd though...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I don't like sleeping at night... Cause I love nighttime <3
I don't like sleeping in the day... Cause I'd rather do something else.
Basically I hate sleeping cause you miss out on so much while you're sleeping D: I do love it if I haven't slept well in days though :crazy:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't like sleeping at night... Cause I love nighttime <3
I don't like sleeping in the day... Cause I'd rather do something else.
Basically I hate sleeping cause you miss out on so much while you're sleeping D:
This is my opinion too - I've always felt sleeping to be a waste of time. It's not that I can't sleep (I can, often as soon as head hits pillow) or that I wont wake up (I have a great internal alarm clock so even if I have to be up at 4am I will be awake) but I always get a string of ideas/activities come to mind as "bedtime" nears. Instead of pursuing them I have to lie down, usually in dull dreamless sleep, for hours that feel like mere moments and then it's time for work again :dry:

For a supposedly advanced race we sure are pathetic...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is my opinion too - I've always felt sleeping to be a waste of time. It's not that I can't sleep (I can, often as soon as head hits pillow) or that I wont wake up (I have a great internal alarm clock so even if I have to be up at 4am I will be awake) but I always get a string of ideas/activities come to mind as "bedtime" nears. Instead of pursuing them I have to lie down, usually in dull dreamless sleep, for hours that feel like mere moments and then it's time for work again :dry:

For a supposedly advanced race we sure are pathetic...
Sleep, wake up, work/school, after work/school activities, sleep. Repeat repeat repeat for lots of years xD
In the end most of our lives wouldn't really have an impact on anything/anyone :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love sleeping, and when i wake up i use to stay in the bed for hours just thinking about everything, when i can of course. Not my problem i think :proud:

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I love sleeping, and when i wake up i use to stay in the bed for hours just thinking about everything, when i can of course. Not my problem i think :proud:
I do the same. I love going out day or night, but I think I like sleeping just a little more. My body always wakes me up early and I'll need a nap in the middle of the day. I could actually take multiple naps in a single day. Sometimes, I get so burned out that I wish I could just be like Rip Van Winkle.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I do the same. I love going out day or night, but I think I like sleeping just a little more. My body always wakes me up early and I'll need a nap in the middle of the day. I could actually take multiple naps in a single day. Sometimes, I get so burned out that I wish I could just be like Rip Van Winkle.
I like what C.S. Lewis said when he was a little older. He was asked if he ever took naps, and he replied, "Never. Mind you," he said, "sometimes a nap takes me."
I used to have insomnia and be unable to fall asleep.
Now my situation is I want to stay up late, but can't: and then I wake up at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning and can't go back to sleep.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like sleeping, I just don't like going to bed when there's something else to do. Most nights I stay up until 5-6am because I like chatting and playing with my friends who live in different time zones. The friends who happen to live here are employed/students so they aren't available until the evening, which is fine since I usually wake up around 3-4pm.
Basically I like sleeping but I adjust my schedule so I can sleep whenever there's nothing to do or nobody to talk to.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
1) Try Valerian if melatonin doesn't work. Warning: it smells/tastes like old sweatsocks, but it works for me.
2) Try fish oil during the day for a pick-me-up.
3) Exercise *right before bed* keeps me up. Try harder exercise earlier in the day.
4) In an earlier post you mentioned your husband wanted you to punch his hands, and you played "horse" with wadded-up paper?
Pardon the impertinence, but if yo look *anything* like your avatar, I can think of a number of other activities which most men would rather pursue in the case of insomnia: in fact, they might start putting caffeine in your dinner in order to *foment* said insomnia. :wink:
Full disclosure: Is the avatar *yawning* or shouting at the cat?

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I'm an esfp and 7w6. I don't want to go to sleep because I am afraid that I will miss out on something good. But, by the time I get to bed, I'm out like a burnt out lightbulb.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don't hate to sleep, but I can't seem to fall asleep when I know that I have to get up at a certain time the next morning. It's an anxiety thing.

Reactions: Belzy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts