Personality Cafe banner

What types have you had long-term romantic relationships with?

• NT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTP

• INTJ

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ENTP

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • ENTJ

• NF

• INFP

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • INFJ

• ENFP

• ENFJ

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • SJ

• ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESTJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • SP

• ISTP

• ISFP

• ESTP

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISTPs only please.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where is the "I don't know." option? Haven't had any long term relationships unless you count a month as long term but then again no idea on the type. So good try.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the "I don't know." option? Haven't had any long term relationships unless you count a month as long term but then again no idea on the type. So good try.
Where's "None of the Above?"
Haha sorry it wouldn't let me put more than 20 options

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm still laughing at the "ISTP" and "Long Term Relationship" part... oh wait, that was the whole post?

Well fuck.

I've got more "short term relationships" under my belt than I can remember...

I guess long term could be narrowed down to:

INFP- "Give me cancer now, God."

ESFJ- "What is this reciprocation you keep talking about?"

ENTP- "Man, we make a good team. Such good friends......And we're having sex all of a sudden"

INTJ- "Get out of your pajamas and let's go fuck this town up!? What?.... I don't see what your cat has to do with anything.."

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm married to an ENFJ. That's the only long term relationship I've ever been in. There are more days that I resent being married lately. It's not necessarily anything to do with him just that I don't care about the burden of emotionally supporting an adult right now.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm married to an ENFJ. That's the only long term relationship I've ever been in. There are more days that I resent being married lately. It's not necessarily anything to do with him just that I don't care about the burden of emotionally supporting an adult right now.
Those complimentary traits can be great, but yeah, with my INFJ there are times when I'm like, "Okay, can you stop melting down over minutiae?"

As for long-term relationships I'd only count two:

Unhealthy ESFJ -- Knew this wouldn't work 2 months into our 1-1/2 year relationship, but I tried. It's great to want to experience life, but it gets really expensive and draining trying to do everything your friends are doing, every day. Throw in the hourly flip-flops between being cuddly and judgmental (i.e., nothing I did was quite as good as what someone else's bf was doing) and towards the end regular threats to run into the road to kill herself (I had to pull her off the road in traffic a couple times), and that was enough to swear me off dating for a decade.

Current INFJ -- Mostly good and fun, but as mentioned, there are moments when her emotional rollercoaster makes me want to run. On the other hand, she's organized at levels I've never even dreamed about (buys groceries months ahead, manages bank account to the penny, organizes amazing celebrations that span days for holidays that most people barely acknowledge), and she's definitely the social butterfly of our relationship, despite being an introvert.

Reactions: maust

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those complimentary traits can be great, but yeah, with my INFJ there are times when I'm like, "Okay, can you stop melting down over minutiae?"

As for long-term relationships I'd only count two:

Unhealthy ESFJ -- Knew this wouldn't work 2 months into our 1-1/2 year relationship, but I tried. It's great to want to experience life, but it gets really expensive and draining trying to do everything your friends are doing, every day. Throw in the hourly flip-flops between being cuddly and judgmental (i.e., nothing I did was quite as good as what someone else's bf was doing) and towards the end regular threats to run into the road to kill herself (I had to pull her off the road in traffic a couple times), and that was enough to swear me off dating for a decade.

Current INFJ -- Mostly good and fun, but as mentioned, there are moments when her emotional rollercoaster makes me want to run. On the other hand, she's organized at levels I've never even dreamed about (buys groceries months ahead, manages bank account to the penny, organizes amazing celebrations that span days for holidays that most people barely acknowledge), and she's definitely the social butterfly of our relationship, despite being an introvert.
The complimentary traits are what makes us work in the long term I think too. If we have a task to complete together we are an unstoppable team. He's the organization, the public face and the drive and I'm the facts gathering and the producer it's like a fine orchestra. We each know our parts and play them well. We have worked together in corporate for over 10 years together and have had our own business for two years. Where I hear most people saying I could never work with my spouse we do it well. Before MBTi he used to express how so in sync we were that he couldnt get that with anyone he'd ever worked with. He could give me a task and I'd run with it or figure it out no questions asked and with other's he'd often have to walk them through it. It's awesome when it works!

But when it doesn't or when we are in normal day to day life we typically butt heads. Even now that we know what MBTi is and each know about ourselves we still find ourselves going "hey I don't care" or "that makes me uncomfortable" and his issue is still often "I didn't mean it like that." It's so strange having these extremes, and I think the fact that I am a girl that is honestly pretty emotional (mostly due to troubled upbringing) we can get really riled up together. The emotional rollercoaster is rough and I do find myself bored but we're raising great kids together and have so far forged a life for them that I could never have dreamed of. So at the end of the day I stay put because when things are good they just are.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The complimentary traits are what makes us work in the long term I think too. If we have a task to complete together we are an unstoppable team. He's the organization, the public face and the drive and I'm the facts gathering and the producer it's like a fine orchestra. We each know our parts and play them well. We have worked together in corporate for over 10 years together and have had our own business for two years. Where I hear most people saying I could never work with my spouse we do it well. Before MBTi he used to express how so in sync we were that he couldnt get that with anyone he'd ever worked with. He could give me a task and I'd run with it or figure it out no questions asked and with other's he'd often have to walk them through it. It's awesome when it works!

But when it doesn't or when we are in normal day to day life we typically butt heads. Even now that we know what MBTi is and each know about ourselves we still find ourselves going "hey I don't care" or "that makes me uncomfortable" and his issue is still often "I didn't mean it like that." It's so strange having these extremes, and I think the fact that I am a girl that is honestly pretty emotional (mostly due to troubled upbringing) we can get really riled up together. The emotional rollercoaster is rough and I do find myself bored but we're raising great kids together and have so far forged a life for them that I could never have dreamed of. So at the end of the day I stay put because when things are good they just are.
Similar experience here, we rock it out when we're both weaving our strengths together. My INFJ loops or mini-loops quite often, which causes our functions to clash, and that can be pretty rough.

Likewise, I've also noticed that longer periods of day to day, humdrum existence tend to bring out her judgmental side (boredom?), and that's usually a trait I don't handle all that well. Those periods don't last too long, and most of them are caused by misinterpretations or assumptions gone haywire.

So yeah, I get it. I've had quite a few of those "Why am I doing this?" introspections myself, and there aren't even kids involved. (Well, not mine anyway, and they're mostly grown and on their own.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
What counts as long-term? Never had one last more than 11 months. My current one I don't even know, I forget when we started dating haha...it was sometime last fall. September? October? Current one is INFJ and no clue what my past ones were, and don't care. I only know this one 'cause she told me, so I told her mine.

Reactions: JB Nobody

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never really liked the word "long-term" or "romantic" relationship tho that could be just me.
The answer is "non of the above" and i don't think i'll ever have one because i find them annoying.I guess i'd mostly go for a "queerplatonic relationship" yeah, i surprised myself when i found out that word exists and is closest to what i would like to have if i was in a relationship.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Interesting that 11 people have voted, for a grand total of 19 long-term relationships. Granted, the sampling is still pretty small, and many are relatively young, but compared to other types, it looks like our stereotype isn't that far off the mark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
INFP, and so far, it's the only relationship I've ever had that I see any chance of lasting.

He can get clingy from time to time, and he does seem to want more emotional "outbursts" - and I instead get severely annoyed with his lack of actual ACTION to back his words up, but we're up to two years which is my longest ever (I develop allergies to anyone I'm with longer than six months normally....they just choke and strangle and suffocate me...)

He lets me run free and do what I like, and he runs off and does his thing and then we meet up for icecream in the evenings - we know Exactly how to motivate, boost and encourage each other - and he can get me out of my old (negative) tracks as easy as snapping his fingers.

Also, he puts up with my awful bluntness and loves me even when I'm complicated or even "mean" - I'd say he's borderline perfect, actually :)

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I was interested to see INFPs in the lead, but I'm wondering if this is because those INFPs got their SOs interested in MBTI/this forum. Or maybe it's the other way around? I wish there were follow up questions!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was interested to see INFPs in the lead, but I'm wondering if this is because those INFPs got their SOs interested in MBTI/this forum. Or maybe it's the other way around? I wish there were follow up questions!
Can only answer for myself, and we ended up with MBTI because I said it might be a good way to try and work out our issues. To me, that seemed like a sufficiently tangible way to solve the problem of him feeling I was being too cold and...mean, I can be mean, without intending to...

So he said "We have this problem" and I thought about it and said "Ok, I think I have an idea that may fix that" and then we did the tests, and it worked :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts