Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thankfully I had a pretty competent and understanding mother growing up, who allowed me to make a lot of my own choices (not all) when it came to school and was home-schooled by her (not the religious homeschooling) throughout the entirety of middle school, even for some parts of elementary too. I was allowed to learn different subjects that interested me and interact with other kids on my own time. So middle school overall was great for me.

When the time for high school finally came around I made the decision to attend one of my own choosing, which was a public school. Partly do my wanting to experience it and to see what other teachers would have to offer. I was overall a quiet student who kept to myself unless others tried to converse with me or ask for help with something pertaining to the work at hand, which was usually math. No one really disliked me, as far as I could tell and seemed to almost always be drawn to me despite my apparent aloofness, which I didn't really understand or care much for at the time. I wasn't bullied (teased, possibly) and had teachers whom I overall had little problem with do to most of them not having that closed-minded, 'I'm right because I'm the teacher', mentality some seem to have. I could have done without the group projects, group activities, classroom introductions or just the high school interactions in general... But overall, high school was okay for me.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm currently IN high school. I'm a sophomore.

I attended a middle school that gave us almost little to no work, and while I guess I'm happy that I didn't have to do mundane work, it was frustrating that there was nothing to REALLY challenge my mind. I still feel that about some of my classes in high school, but nonetheless there are some frustrating things about high school. For one, the fact that the emphasis is more on passing a standardized test rather than mastering the material. This is particularly frustrating in classes such as AP Psychology. I love the material, but the emphasis is more on passing the AP exam (which, oh shit, come to think of it, is in 2 weeks' or so time) rather than having a good understanding of psychology. Aside from the intrinsic value of the material, I think that if you focus on the material itself, then the tests should be a piece of cake.

As far as social interactions, I'm pretty much reserved in most of my interactions (although, just to be obnoxious, I might make a stupid pun or joke from time to time), although I'm more playful in environments that I'm comfortable with.

Reactions: Katalyst

·
Banned
689 Posts
I was an oddball all throughout middle school. I never really understand other kids, why they did the things they did. I especially don't understand why they acted so damn immature. Middle school was hell, if I'm being quite honest.

High school so far has been to same way (currently a junior) and I don't see myself not being an oddball, so I guess this "outsider" trait will stick with me my entire life.

But even in elementary school I was quite weird. I remember a specific day in the fourth grade, my class was learning long division. Yet, I was so focused on other things in my head. I remember wanting to debate about the existence of god that day, and that's all I wanted to focus on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I grew up a military brat, so I learned how to adapt to different environments very easily. Middle school was horrible. I had just moved back to the states after being in Asia for the fourth and fifth grades. I knew nothing about American pop culture within those past two years. In addition to all this, I was also an INTJ hah. I was bullied from 6th-7th grade. Mostly for the way I dressed, or how I did my hair or what I was interested in. Those damn ESFP's. I was on the computer/internet for fun. 6th grade was the year I started to self-teach HTML, CSS, & PHP. So...you can imagine how my classmates viewed that. For an 11 year old. To create websites. For FUN?! This is also where I started my PC-gaming/MMORPG phase. Basically, I was on the computer whenever I wasn't at school.

High school was awesome for me, kinda. I'll explain. I learned how to talk to people, and I joined a lot of extracurriculars. And as terrible as this is going to sound, I learned how to manipulate people or influence others to get what I wanted. So this is where I learned how to small talk (even though I still hate it to this day), how to look sad when someone's boyfriend broke up with them, when to nod my head and "uh huh, yeah" when someone complains how much they hate their history class. The only thing that I probably regret is how much I forced extroversion. I went out every single night. And I got burned out every single night. In addition, I was captain of my dance team of about 35 girls. So I rarely found myself in solitude. My stress and anxiety levels were off the charts. I wasn't in a good place mentally.

Although I was a likable INTJ in high school (because everything was forced), my friends still noticed that I was different. I was horrible at giving relationship advice (still am) because our conversations usually went like this:

Friend: What do I do?
Me: He cheated on you...so break up with him
Friend: But I love him
Me: ...??!????1/..!>1?1/1?0>0?

So they learned very quickly that I wasn't the person to go to. I also didn't have many boyfriends. I had two and both relationships lasted about 3 weeks. I had three ESFP 'friends' that tried to drag me into so much mundane and unnecessary drama. Like, every other day it was something new. Fun girls but GOD, they were exhausting.

Once I went to college and started living in solitude again, everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very dark. My teachers were imbeciles and punishment was detention; heaven, actually because I got to sit by myself and read like I wanted to do in the first place. I got into fights with "homeboys" and their "homies" because they would not listen to me when I gave the perfectly logical reasons as to why they were out of line. My teachers accused me of plagiarism because my essays were too well written and I gave up on caring what time my classes were because I was more interested in getting stoned and reading science fiction all day. Then it started to become a game where I would go to class visibly stoned and act stoned on purpose because I thought it was the only way for me to dumb myself down.

I had only one friend and one girlfriend. The coolest kid and the girl with the biggest tits. People would pick on me and I never even knew who it was because none of them would fess up. But then none of them wanted to be my friend, either and maybe it was because they were friends with my one friend who knew everyone and therefore they assumed we were all cool. But this was far from the truth.

My own girlfriend thought I was purposely ignoring her because I thought I was too good, but in fact I was too busy withdrawing from the nonsensical, demoralized that this was the best society had to offer.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
High school was pretty boring to be honest. I kind of put myself on auto-pilot. I did well in school, breezed through the days and told myself that it was only going to be until college. Yeah...college was overrated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Final year of High School here. As I'm in Australia, we just go strait from primary school to high school. For the most part, It's been a very depressing. I only recently figured out how to interact with people, so the last 5 years were not easy for me. You also have the fact that my school is very sports orientated, so being the kid who sits around reading at lunch time wasn't exactly helpful. Teachers seemed to like me though, so that was nice. Over the last 3 years I somehow became part of a group of friends that sort of just fell into each other. It has a 3:1 extrovert introvert ratio, so I'm really not sure how I became a part of that. The previous year was by far my worst, given that this was when they decided to switch to preparing for life after school and focus less on the subject, which is the main reason I go there in the first place. Couple my dissatisfaction with that system with the culmination of my father's battle of cancer (He died) which had begun at the very start of my first year and it isn't exactly surprising that I fell into a pretty deep depression that year. I let all my school work slide, stopped caring about anything for the most part and having frequent mood swings. Needless to say, I'm rather ashamed of all that now. Thankfully, I've managed to put that behind me and have largely recovered my grades.

So to sum it all up I'd say it could have been better, but it could have been worse.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Easy, boring, sometimes lonely.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually, I was fairly popular in Secondary School (Darn you 'Mericans and your different education system!). I think I was lucky to have my Te kick in at the most critical time in relation to making good first impressions. I still relate with the whole 'People are so immature' thing to a creepy degree, but mixed in with some fun at the same time.

I often got awards for Effort or Achievement, and my parents never once scolded me for my ATL marks on a single Interim. :crazy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
School was hard for me socially, most people liked me but I never really truly fit in anywhere. I was kind of on neutral grounds with most people, and enemies with a few others. I do think some girls were interested in me but I either ignored or was ignorant of that.

School work wasn't the challenge and infact I was rivaling two girls for top of the class almost all through our school years, and all three of us were actually all oddballs, and friends. I think the main reason people were neutral with me was the fact that I had alot of family in that school as well so I easily had connections with people.

Alot of people claimed that I wasn't sensitive at all and in fact quite harsh to people when critiquing them or in peer-grading. That sticks out to me quite often and I have tried "softening" up on people I suppose.

To be honest I really wanted to be known as the "mysterious intellectual" but i'm sure most people saw me as the "lonely nerd". Didn't bother me though as most things don't.

I did get in alot of trouble at school but mostly for not paying attention and being off in my own world. I got several things taken away from me in class like my phone and countless rubik's cubes.

To be honest it was very uneventful, boring, some times it drove me crazy because of how boring it was and how routine and controlled the environment was.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
To other INTJs who want to share their middle and high school experience.
I found it very boring.
I was uninterested in school and was happy to get a passing grade, I had a sense my performance in school will be irrelevant for my future and career, the career I was aiming for gives the most value to industry certifications and experience.

I spent most of my time reading in the library about all sort of things much more interesting than anything in the classrooms, while avoiding all the brats around me.

I remember computer class, where I would hack the computers to put Starcraft on them (Windows NT with non-admin accounts) and then consequently never bother to play it, handing it over to a couple of peers. I also removed boot.ini on several machines as prank, I wanted to see how the computer teacher would fix it. It was one of the less boring classes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Boring and relentless, more socially than academically. I graduated a year early without trying very hard (12th grade English notwithstanding), and the only reason I even graduated was because my parents, aunt, and guidance counselor struck a deal with me to keep me from dropping out at 16 and going straight to college. I don't see that it made a lot of difference, because whether I had a HS disploma or a GED has never mattered. Not for jobs, not for college, and not for graduate school.

Without much exception, my teachers appreciated my intelligence and ideas, but teachers are no match for 1500+ peers who see your differences and use them as another excuse to bully and intimidate you. I was bullied mercilessly throughout middle school and a lot of high school. My suitcase was dumped out of the bus window while in Canada on a band trip. Even the most emotionally detached person will be affected by some things. At the same time, it was always the same people doing the same thing. Always. I didn't realize it then, but I learned a lot about predicting people's actions and consequences back then.

However, I also got to play drums in the practice room during my free period, I was part of the Band Room Lunch Urchins' Informal Debate Club (we almost made it into the yearbook), and I knew from an early age that high school was just another obstacle and that it would end sooner than I'd hoped. It made college that much better by comparison.

·
Banned
2,205 Posts
I was just kind of there most of the time. Every now and then people would ask or I'd overhear them talking about why I was so quiet.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Fuck you. That's what it was like.

Still in MS or HS? GLHF.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In middle school I was in the library every morning reading. I don't remember much of middle school or high school. Stupid, uneventful, and boring is how I would describe that period. Grades 1-12 is pretty much SJ-land. It was a nightmare. In the future, I hope to see a more intuitive friendly track students can get on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I didn't know anything about MBTI and wondered most of my life what was wrong with me. And I tried, with an INTJ-style strategy to fit in. Joined sports, acted dumber than I was etc. My parents would joke that I must be the mailman's baby, or switched at birth. My parents are the total opposite of me, they didn't really know what to make of me. They thought I was arrogant, and often made a point of knocking me down a few pegs. My brother and sister resented that I did well in school and made them look bad. Even though I wanted to play more instruments and learn more languages, I wasn't allowed.

With other kids I was that kid that didn't say much. I had no problems with anyone. I was often surprised how well I was liked actually. But I always had the little panic when it was time to break into groups or choose the team. No one would pick me, and I always felt odd picking people.

I had no confidence because I felt like everyone else was right by majority vote.

School was way too easy, and I was encouraged to choose the easy courses so that my grades would stay perfect. I used to read under the desk in school and no one cared. College was a very rude awakening because I had never been challenged in my life until that point.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It was difficult for me, because I always related better to adults than kids my own age. I didn't have any close friends, but I was very well liked by everyone. I was "teased" for being the "goodie-two-shoes", "teacher's pet", "bookworm", "miss perfect". To this day, I still see that as a compliment though. I would often make excuses to my friends on the weekends, saying I couldn't meet them. I was otherwise engaged with a book, homework, computer or spending time with my super-awesome mom who always had great answers to difficult questions. I liked 'Illustrated Science' while other girls read teen-magazines, and while other girls were preoccupied with boys; I would rather snowboard or swim etc. I had many interests and participated in many things in and outside of school, because I was (and am) highly ambitious and more concerned with the future (work, university, grades etc.) than being a "typical" teen. I also belied in earning things, so I had two jobs to make money for my own clothes and such. I was never really rebellious and didn't feel the need to do as others did. Though I often wished I had fit in better, it was never important enough to go against who I was. I was a diligent student, though a few teachers complained I asked too many questions. When this was addressed by someone higher up, I told them they only complained because they couldn't answer them. I was oblivious to "romantic" gestures and it's only in my adult life that I learned that many boys have fallen for me during the years and that I have unknowingly broken many hearts. I've been told it's because I was mysterious and intriguing. I found it easier to befriend boys, because they were easier to get along with, girls had so many "rules". I did enjoy both middle- and high school, and often miss being in school. I love learning, always have :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
We don't call it High School where I live but I'm 18 and go to school, so. I have 4-5 friends that I'm hanging out with. All of us are introverts so we basically only gather up together outside school when it's someone's birthday. I'm the "funny friend" and the sarcastic one. I tend to go in to different roles and playing my friends for some reason. I'm pretty all-round when it comes to the subjects. I'm never late with handing my tasks in and I almost always remake my work a couple of times before I handle it in. I spend a lot of time by myself when I'm not in school but when I'm there I'm the talker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts