Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in high school and am wondering what you guys were like when you were in high school. :)

Ever since high school started, I've gotten really upset over my grades and over how others percieve me.

Everyday, my dad pressures me to get straight A's. I wish I could, but I have trouble getting good grades. Not because I'm an idiot, but because I feel like I have such a hard time controlling my procrastination and my inability to concentrate during class. ): I get average grades (B's and a couple of A's), but I really want to do better. Also, because my head is always stuck in the clouds during class, people think that I'm an idiot... and it hurts. ): Plus, I'm a veerrrry slow thinker and am usually the last to finish tests because I give a lot of thought to each and every question.

I know this is such a cheesy, emo thing to say, but I feel like no one truly understands me.

I also think I may have ADHD, but my dad thinks it's bullshit and cried when I told him that. I think I may have the dominantly inattentive type. I've researched the symptoms and have noticed that I've had nearly all of them since childhood.

Sorry for digressing.

I want to know what YOUR high school life was like. Emotionally and grade-wise. :)
UGHH. I should be studying for my exams tomorrow. Such an INFP thing to do, eh?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kind of loner-ish, even though I had friends. They were mostly nerds, goths, punks, anime lovers, theater club kids and generally odd people. We hung out in the library and talked about how school felt like jail and there weren't many windows. I never really got into drama. I would usually walk around before class by myself or with a friend. Either before first block started, during lunch, or during studyhall I would find myself a booth in the corner of the cafeteria and write in my journal. Some days my friends thought I was high. lol. I connected with a few teachers.

In Jr. High, there was this room called the timeout room. It was the lobby in front of the auditorium with a wall of windows. Sometimes I'd purposely get sent there just to write and stare outside.

Music players/other electronic devices weren't allowed so I would wear a hoodie and put the cd player/iPod in the front pouch, cut a small hole in the hoodie, thread the ear buds through my sleeve and put them next to my ear and lay my head down and look out the window, if the shade wasn't pulled down. Or just put them in and pull my hood up, covering the wires with my hair. lol.

If I could go back, but erase the bad stuff, I probably would. It was just a big daydreaming, INFP time, yet I managed to pass. I miss my friends from high school and I hardly see them anymore.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think my HS experience is different than other INFP's. I actually look back pretty fondly of hs. from 9th grade till graduation my gpa went steadily down from 4.0 to like 3.4 ish, but I really did maintain good grades with little work. I always was able to "get by" with my procrastination - i was the kind of procrastinating till the last possible second and pumping out work that got me a's and b's...this worked (in hs. do not try that in college, yikes). My teachers all viewed me as a great student, one who did not talk alot and so they'd rarely call me out. I was viewed by other students as smart, but lucky. I was a silent rebel, whenever i did something rebelish i made sure it wasn't something that would harm my academics or perceptions of me. I kept my stuff hidden.

as far as social life, I was lucky enough to have a small group of friends who were great pals and who I had know for a long time. We were like in the middle of the big social circles - not quite part of them but not quite rejected either. So we'd be invited to all the "cool" stuff, but felt as if there was a glass window between us and them. However, with some of them I did become great friends with and they now are part of my closer circle of pals.

one thing I noticed socially: I was never put into one of the "groups" in HS, but I could hang out/talk with literally any of them. I could hang out with the scum losers in one class and then in my next sit by the "cool" top dogs and it would not be questioned.

I got involved with ultimate frisbee and (helped to) start a club/team at my hs and we played twice a week. this was basically my social life. I would go out on a weekend with friends like once a month if lucky. so in a way it seems that i shouldn't have enjoyed it. but I did.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think my HS experience is different than other INFP's. I actually look back pretty fondly of hs. from 9th grade till graduation my gpa went steadily down from 4.0 to like 3.4 ish, but I really did maintain good grades with little work. I always was able to "get by" with my procrastination - i was the kind of procrastinating till the last possible second and pumping out work that got me a's and b's...this worked (in hs. do not try that in college, yikes).

as far as social life, I was lucky enough to have a small group of friends who were great pals and who I had know for a long time. We were like in the middle of the big social circles - not quite part of them but not quite rejected either. So we'd be invited to all the "cool" stuff, but felt as if there was a glass window between us and them. However, with some of them I did become great friends with and they now are part of my closer circle of pals.

one thing I noticed socially: I was never put into one of the "groups" in HS, but I could hang out/talk with literally any of them. I could hang out with the scum losers in one class and then in my next sit by the "cool" top dogs and it would not be questioned.

I got involved with ultimate frisbee and (helped to) start a club/team at my hs and we played twice a week. this was basically my social life. I would go out on a weekend with friends like once a month if lucky. so in a way it seems that i shouldn't have enjoyed it. but I did.
lol same. And yes, it doesn't work in college. My schedule of classes now lets me procrastinate but my first year was a huge wakeup call.

I know what you mean by glass window.

I was the same way with socializing. Most of my friends were what I described in my comment, but I did talk to people who were more "normal" and we were fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a lot of friends but mostly, I hated them.
As horrible as it sounds, friends are convenient. You don't have to sit alone at lunch..
I had a few real friends but mostly I had acquaintances.
and I was in and out of the school psychologist's office.
I got mediocre grades because I didn't feel like doing the work.
I miss it though. Being 20 sucks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I did not enjoy high school. I take great pleasure in seeing myself on the "lost" list for my high school class reunion.

I was not challenged, but got extremely good grades. I would rush through my homework to get to my "real" reading and other studies that interested me more (I taught myself some foreign languages for example).

I had a very hard time socially in high school. I was ostracized for being smart and the only people who would talk to me were the calculator-toting, Dungeon and Dragons-playing nerds.

College was a far kinder place. There were more people like me, so I actually had a social life. I think that's why I academically did much better...I graduated with only one B in all of college.

·
Registered
INFJ 9w1
2,473 Posts
Don't worry about venting. We all need to let it out.

I think that most teens worry about the way they are perceived by others. Most teens want to be liked by others (whether they admit it or not) and many go out of their way to impress others. Don't feel bad about worrying about this sort of thing -- it's human nature.

As for your difficulties with procrastination and paying attention, I think that a lot of kids have this problem too. You're not alone. But if it's getting to be a big problem and interfering with your life, then you should probably seek some sort of help, whether through a counsellor or a medical doctor. But it's definitely hard when your dad won't hear you out and refuses to even consider ADHD. I wonder what made him cry... Even if he doesn't think ADHD is legitimate, that's not a reason to cry. I wonder what struck a nerve with him.

As for me, when I was in middle school and junior high, I used to get very high grades. I was known for my grades and I felt like they said a lot about my identity. (Aside from being "smart", I didn't know who I was or what my purpose was.) But things changed during the seventh grade when I befriended a bully and she manipulated me and destroyed my self-esteem. By the time I got to high school, I didn't care about my grades anymore.

Bullying got even worse in high school and I became even more depressed than I already was. I could never concentrate on what needed to be done because my mind was always preoccupied with what would happen next. I didn't feel safe and I always had my guard up. Even if I wanted to focus on my school work, my mind was going in a million directions. It became really frustrating for me and though I am out of that environment, I still suffer from getting distracted.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I kept a low profile, stayed under the radar. And waited. This is also how middle school went really, and the latter part of elementary school. Emotionally? I feel like schools are prisons.

At first I didn't need anybody to tell me to get good grades, I was straight A's just because that's how it is. At some point I brought a friend home from school and I was going to go straight to homework like usual, and my mom said it could wait. I discovered procrastination, and ever since my grades were "good enough." I never cared about GPAs or papers saying how smart I was, never believed in it. The subjects they taught were so pointless. Why memorize facts for a test and then forget about them?

I had problems with the way things were set up. It was always obvious to me that it was a broken system, and when I heard people wonder how or why there were such bad results it was just annoying. I always thought it was so obvious, "it's because nobody gives a damn and isn't even trying to do anything right."

I didn't have anyone I would call a friend, but there were a few acquaintances. Sometimes I spent lunches shadowing one of them, just king of "hanging out" but without really saying anything, mostly for appearances so I wouldn't look so out of place or weird. I contributed pretty much nothing, a fly on the wall. Other times I didn't want to deal with people that had no use for me and that I also really had no use for, and I was too afraid to talk to the few people I might have actually got along with well, so I'd just walk the hallways alone the entire lunch period. I changed up my routes so I didn't repeatedly pass the same areas/people and generally made a weak attempt at making it seem like I was actually doing something or headed somewhere.

Near the end I learned that the way I was acting might actually seem snobbish or arrogant to others, which was one of my biggest surprises - nothing could be further from the truth. I was simply scared to death of people. I wanted to talk to various people, but couldn't bring myself to, and certainly didn't want to be forced.

I spent a lot of time before, during and after classes in spare time just in my head, always waiting. Waiting for the next bell, waiting for the day to end, waiting for school to end. Waiting for life to begin. Always just thinking to myself. I think at least one teacher was surprised when they heard how positive my thoughts actually were/are, which makes sense given how that just sounded. :laughing:

I had a lot I wanted to do, but never did (and a lot I want to do, and have yet to do). I went through everything passively, and it's become a habit and lifestyle (one I want to change). If anybody here is in that kind of state, I would encourage them to break free of it and start their life now, because my experience has told me that nothing is going to start it for you. Don't just wait for a miracle, make it yourself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had an amazing high school experience. Danced and did colorguard sophomore year and never looked back. I guess that whole infp creativity helped shape the person I am today :). With that being said, I didn't think about college til senior year lol. Too much living in the moment for me, but it was calm enjoyable. :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
I kept a low profile, stayed under the radar. And waited. This is also how middle school went really, and the latter part of elementary school. Emotionally? I feel like schools are prisons.

At first I didn't need anybody to tell me to get good grades, I was straight A's just because that's how it is. At some point I brought a friend home from school and I was going to go straight to homework like usual, and my mom said it could wait. I discovered procrastination, and ever since my grades were "good enough." I never cared about GPAs or papers saying how smart I was, never believed in it. The subjects they taught were so pointless. Why memorize facts for a test and then forget about them?

I had problems with the way things were set up. It was always obvious to me that it was a broken system, and when I heard people wonder how or why there were such bad results it was just annoying. I always thought it was so obvious, "it's because nobody gives a damn and isn't even trying to do anything right."

I didn't have anyone I would call a friend, but there were a few acquaintances. Sometimes I spent lunches shadowing one of them, just king of "hanging out" but without really saying anything, mostly for appearances so I wouldn't look so out of place or weird. I contributed pretty much nothing, a fly on the wall. Other times I didn't want to deal with people that had no use for me and that I also really had no use for, and I was too afraid to talk to the few people I might have actually got along with well, so I'd just walk the hallways alone the entire lunch period. I changed up my routes so I didn't repeatedly pass the same areas/people and generally made a weak attempt at making it seem like I was actually doing something or headed somewhere.

Near the end I learned that the way I was acting might actually seem snobbish to others, which was one of my biggest surprises - nothing could be further from the truth. I was simply scared to death of people. I wanted to talk to various people, but couldn't bring myself to, and certainly didn't want to be forced.

I spent a lot of time before, during and after classes in spare time just in my head, always waiting. Waiting for the next bell, waiting for the day to end, waiting for school to end. Waiting for life to begin. Always just thinking to myself. I think at least one teacher was surprised when they heard how positive my thoughts actually were/are, which makes sense given how that just sounded. :laughing:

I had a lot I wanted to do, but never did (and a lot I want to do, and have yet to do). I went through everything passively, and it's become a habit and lifestyle (one I want to change). If anybody here is in that kind of state, I would encourage them to break free of it and start their life now, because my experience has told me that nothing is going to start it for you. Don't just wait for a miracle, make it yourself.
I think I'm still that way...far too passive for my own good. I like your advice, and yes, I'm struggling to become more assertive and to make my own way in the world. If I can be so bold as to give unsolicited advice...don't wait as long as I have to make that change. Life isn't as fun if you're only a spectator, and until I manage to grab the reins, I'll still be waiting for the fun to begin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was a bit of a wallflower back in high school. I still kind of am, but it's weird being in a group of friends now (college).

In the end, I think high school's really what you make of it. You're never going to get the 'perfect' high school experience, but there's always going to be something that you can take from your teenage years. I personally enjoyed all the time I had to myself. I also think it also helped me build up a lot of confidence in the end.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was bullied horribly from the time I started school till the time I finished. No teachers were my friends. I had a couple of grossly shallow people who called themselves my friends we have since drifted apart. . . not much to say exept school sucked, it sucked.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Oh on the other hand people in college think i'm the shit. Seems like an open, adult, mind counts when you get into the big wide world.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not very good. Hang out with my close friend (Always Trio). Or hang out with my INTJ friend and made up a plan to rule the world.
Sometimes I had to keep up with all the nonsense. "When we do study? are we here for study?"
When I am try at my best, the system just cant follow. I can preform very well but only for short period of time. Thinking why children must trapped here while outside was sunny and warm, and learn crappy things. Bored. And must meet with bullies. Horrible. :sad::sad:
Friends made me survive high school.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have 4 tests this week, and I'm currently procrastinating on my hw.
I know how you feel when you think you have ADHD, lol.
I'll finish this response after I do my hw, thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm still in grade twelve so my high school career is still ongoing. My first two years were amazing, I was that guy who really didn't have a group of friends but wasn't a loner. I could tack onto just about any group and fit in. But then last year I discovered stress, and it hit me like a bloody hammer... now I hang out with a few smaller groups of intelligent and mature people. As a whole I have one or two really good male friends, the rest are female. They are a bit more mature I think. I still don't do girl talk... or shopping... but otherwise it works out. When it comes to grades, well I get by with what I'll need to get into university but nothing beyond that really. And when it comes to dating... well still never had a girl friend, unfortunatly I'm more mature then most of the girls there and I don't think of many of them as being on the proper footing to date me. (See now I feel pretentious!) and the few that I have actually liked enough to ask out have only thought of me as a friend. But hey that's life. So yeah, that's my mostly complete high school experiance. But all in all I've enjoyed it immensely and I've learned alot about myself and people in general from it, and met alot of great friends along the way. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
HS was terrible for me. My introversion and general weirdness made me an easy target for others. I wasn't bullied too much, at least not to the point of suicide, but I was ostracized a lot. I hung around all the outsiders, those who didn't "fit in." I wish I could go back and tell my younger self how great it is to be different (INFP rulez).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting topic, I'm 27 now but went through a huge amount throughout my schooling, enough to say - I'm not sure what I make of it.

Firstly I was bullied in primary school pretty badly, I remember being called wobbly because I wobbled apparently, sounds cute now but back then it was shoved in my face with pointing and shouting by groups of people laughing and tripping me up and things. I maintained 2 close friends throughout primary though which helped.

My first year of a very fancy private HS the bullying was much worse, I couldn't take it, my parents pulled me from the school and sent me to another. It was much better, still fairly fancy but I managed to keep a low profile and build a friend base. The school was quite new and what was interesting about it was there didn't seem to be much bullying at all, I believe there were about 500 kids there? Anyway, strangely enough, the cool kids and the "nerds" were the minority, and I was in a huge group of friends who were both inteligent and social, i'd say about 40 of us, it was great, and something i'm not sure happens much in other schools, essentially we became cooler than the cool kids, even though they still got more girls (boys school btw). The only bad thing was when we left school it was impossible to keep 40 close friends so we divided into sub groups.

University was fine but I didn't make any new friends for some reason, I kept my old friends though.

For what it's worth I procrastinate something fierce, I never paid attention in class, never studied until 3am in the morning of any exam (except for 2 in my life) but I managed to pull C's with no work at all, I only met the minimum standards for entrance into Uni, and I found Uni much easier to get by with not doing much work, having notes supplied by the lecturers on the internet meant I didn't even need to go to class. Yes I graduated, I did fail about 4 or 5 papers but I apparently have a degree in... Management and E-Commerce. It's kind of ridiculous.

I'm the youngest of 3, both my brother and sister worked extremely hard and met with the highest grades but I never realised at the time that they are not creative types and I am.

Only in the last 3 or 4 years have I understood myself much more, one peculiar thing that's changed is I now have an insatiable appetite for learning new things!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts