Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you hate about humanity? Or rather what qualities do you hate in humanity as a whole?
To a certain degree I believe we can all tolerate certain behaviors, for example selfishness. It my irritate us but we can tolerate it because we ourselves are selfish. We're as something such as narcissism might be intolerable for you.
So what quality or qualities can you not stand? If you could eradicate it from society would you? And how would it affect the world? For better or for worse?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I hate it when people ascribe personality traits to the entirety of humanity, like you are doing in this thread, and like you've done in this comment:

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
819 Posts
Wel

I'm sorry if I bothered you in any way. I'm not here to pick fights, just like seeing people's opinions
I don't think @Posie_girl90 did anything wrong.
I think she just wants to know what specific traits an individual may dislike in another.
They may be particularly common traits for people to have.

But that is just my take on it.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,145 Posts
Uh... I hate selfishness. Sure, to a degree I am also selfish, but the trait creates far-reaching effects that a selfish person does not consider. I'm sure we can remember Tragedy of the Commons in our economics classes. It may not have been a singular person that destroyed the common good, the public grazing area, but all of them together destroyed it. Today the trait manifests itself in numerous ways and sprouts physical entities we hate. We have these massive corporations that steal from the public. We get public representatives that don't represent the public, only their constituents and seat of power. We get individuals and nations that overexploit natural resources for short term gain on the detriment of many. The list goes on.

Yeah, if I could get rid of it I would. People would be making trades that don't just maximize their own surplus, but total surplus. Homeless people would be a thing of the past as medical professionals arrange for their care, and that they themselves would stop taking drugs. We'd say hi to our neighbors and they'd say hi back. And hey, when we come to the forums we won't have to hear of stories of how people got cheated on because their partners were selfless enough to consider their partner's feelings.

What about you Posie?

·
Registered
INTP
4,291 Posts
Unreliability, lack of punctuality. People say 6 o'clock when they mean 6:30 or maybe never, or they make promises they don't keep. If you live in some fantasy world where X equals not-X, that's your business. But you don't belong in this world.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting.....for me the one thing I just cannot stand is narcissism, narcissism to the point where you manipulate or ruin people's reputations and make them feel like trash just to exalt yourself.
I cannot stand this even a little bit I have know a few people to do this and it's annoying cause there usually, in my experience sly enough to make it seem like you are actually in the wrong or a bad person. Once you catch on and you know you see them doing it all the time, and tiring down people like that make me so angry.

I think if the world didn't have people that did that I would be a better place. Just in the instances of people I know and myself, I can say we wouldn't feel like such terrible people, we wouldnt be so insecure in ways. And maybe that goes for everyone, but I think it would change things for the better. Because when people figure out what your doing they probably won't believe a thing to say and they won't like you, so there's no win there. And the people hurt well there obviously no win there. To a certain extent it is being selfish, so I totally agree with secondpassing

·
Registered
ISTP
74 Posts
Catch 22.

Narcissism and selfishness are bad, but so are their opposites.

Never expressing oneself, never trying to pursue one's dreams, always deferring to others (Echoism, the opposite of Narcissism) is just as bad, maybe even worse for the individual.

An ethic of self-annihilation, the opposite of selfishness, is also just as destructive. In fact, it's taught by selfish people to produce willing slaves.

I'm not sure what exactly to hate. It's hard to label.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Catch 22.

Narcissism and selfishness are bad, but so are their opposites.

Never expressing oneself, never trying to pursue one's dreams, always deferring to others (Echoism, the opposite of Narcissism) is just as bad, maybe even worse for the individual.

An ethic of self-annihilation, the opposite of selfishness, is also just as destructive. In fact, it's taught by selfish people to produce willing slaves.

I'm not sure what exactly to hate. It's hard to label.
Okay so your saying that even if you take the qualities we hate away something bad will always rise in it's place?

·
Registered
ISTP
74 Posts
Okay so your saying that even if you take the qualities we hate away something bad will always rise in it's place?
Not exactly. If we replace some abstract notion we hate, with its direct opposite, we end up with something at least equally evil.

That's why people have tried to formulate concepts like "enlightened self-interest."

Recognize my sig?

It's a quote from Anthem, a short novel that's arguably Ayn Rand's most powerful and best fiction. She departs from themes like economics, technology, and urbanism, and famously long-winded, didactic prose.

Anthem is a love story set in a dystopian world where everything is the opposite of selfishness and narcissism. It's downright horrifying.

I was at Barnes and Noble and they had a table of "books you really must read." I bought a few. It was one. They were right.

The real world, especially human psychology, is a complicated place. That's why Jung can sound so woo-woo. He was trying to deal with that complexity. :)

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not exactly. If we replace some abstract notion we hate, with its direct opposite, we end up with something at least equally evil.

That's why people have tried to formulate concepts like "enlightened self-interest."

Recognize my sig?

It's a quote from Anthem, a short novel that's arguably Ayn Rand's most powerful and best fiction. She departs from themes like economics, technology, and urbanism, and famously long-winded, didactic prose.

Anthem is a love story set in a dystopian world where everything is the opposite of selfishness and narcissism. It's downright horrifying.

I was at Barnes and Noble and they had a table of "books you really must read." I bought a few. It was one. They were right.

The real world, especially human psychology, is a complicated place. That's why Jung can sound so woo-woo. He was trying to deal with that complexity. :)
Interesting, and your right psychology is so complicated.
I'm definitely going to read those books!

·
Registered
Cringe Connoisseur
105 Posts
I don't like stereotyping and tribalism. One of the reasons I got into the MBTI is because I thought it would foster empathy, compassion, acceptance, and understanding of individual differences. Instead, I'm seeing a lot of prejudice, stereotyping, presumptuousness, hatred, tribalism, etc. It was too idealistic of me to expect otherwise. A pity.

Reactions: Posie_girl90

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't like stereotyping and tribalism. One of the reasons I got into the MBTI is because I thought it would foster empathy, compassion, acceptance, and understanding of individual differences. Instead, I'm seeing a lot of prejudice, stereotyping, presumptuousness, hatred, tribalism, etc. It was too idealistic of me to expect otherwise. A pity.
I understand that can be frustrating. Expesecialy when you want nothing more to understand things to the fullest and connect to other people, but they won't start or even try to understand what's outside the mold.

But those things go hand and hand with everything in life, I hate to say it. Nothing is perfect and there is really nothing we can do but strive to make things better. But I think you're wrong in a sense, not everything is so shallow.
There are people who believe Mbti can help us better understand one another, just as you once did. I can say from my own experience that while at times can fall into stereotypes at times, MBTI has helped me in my relationships with others, to better understand our faults and overcome our disagreements.
I believe that with everything in life you will find that tribalism, and while we may hate it some of us can lose sight and fall into it at times. But there is another side to every coin, It may be harder to find but it's there. And you must never lose the sense of believing in the best because it's there sometimes we just have to look. but there is a lot of prejudice in MBTI, but you should hold on to your hope that MBTI can foster those things, you might be just the thing people have been looking for to refresh the system.

·
Registered
Cringe Connoisseur
105 Posts
There are people who believe Mbti can help us better understand one another, just as you once did.
Oh, I still do, but I've had to balance that with some cynicism.

I believe that with everything in life you will find that tribalism, and while we may hate it some of us can lose sight and fall into it at times. But there is another side to every coin, It may be harder to find but it's there. And you must never lose the sense of believing in the best because it's there sometimes we just have to look. but there is a lot of prejudice in MBTI, but you should hold on to your hope that MBTI can foster those things, you might be just the thing people have been looking for to refresh the system.
I like your optimism.

Reactions: Posie_girl90

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,145 Posts
Bought the book off amazon where it was $2.98 -$1.00 (Kindle Credit) = $0.00 [Someone needs to give Amazon a new calculator]
Wikipedia says the book is more about individuality. "Ayn Rand initially conceived Anthem as a play when she was a teenager living in Soviet Russia. "
I will read this book with bias going in since I don't believe the opposite of selfishness would be communism, but will read it anyway on the basis that it is a must-read.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The tendency towards failing to know what one does and doesn't know.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,866 Posts
People in the West live in a form of tyrannical authoritarianism in which people can't say how they really feel about things in public, people who vote for the "wrong" politics or candidates can't always express them in public,or show support for the "wrong" victims, or defend their homes or selves,if it looks bad, or even drive on a rainbow road, even if it's uninentional, for fear of being fired, deplatformed, defunded or, at times, even arrested, and this level of tyranny didn't come at the hands of some oppressive ruler, but arrived because millions of people willingly volunteered to make it happen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts