Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads around on the other forums and thought it would be interesting to see how all of you behaved as a child.

When I was a child, I was very much different than I am. I was overly emotional, in stark contrast to my almost lack of emotional expression now. I would cry easily over failure, or if I was put on the spot and thrust into attention. I also wasn't as achievement-oriented as I am now. I still did a lot of different activities, and succeed at all of them, but success wasn't the goal; it was more about attention when I was younger. I almost feel like the opposite person of who I am when I was 7~10. Of course some people still consider me a child at 18, but whatever.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
All I know is that I posed (weirdly, noticeably, attention-seekingly) in all my toddler-childhood pictures, and I remember that I actually wanted people to watch/see me and adore/notice me.

Now that I think of it, all these years I've only learned subtlety, while the intent/ purpose probably hasn't changed.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
- Silently ambitious, quietly competitive, introspective. I knew my abilities and I would slowly push myself to complete all that I had decided to do.

- Very "introverted". I've always had just one "best friend" all my life. I liked small groups of 2-3 maximum with one of them being my best friend where our relationship was based around taking care of each other, inspiring and motivating each other. I used to play the part of the rescuer and at times had the pull to be rescued as well, so I gravitated towards a kindred spirit.

- I was quietly charismatic [naturally so] where people sort of gravitated towards me more than I did towards them and would make me a leader of a group, leader of an activity/project. Since it was mostly natural, I didn't really need to compete because I was already good enough in my own eyes. I set realistic goals/targets and reached them.

- As for school/academics, I was just inherently good so I didn't really care to care about it. Studies came extremely easily to me, therefore I was able to prioritize literally 100's of different activities to do. But school was pretty much always top priority.

- I needed my mother's praise and that's it. Though I hungered for my siblings' praise as well and I do till this day, but I know that it will NEVER come now so I've given up trying. I based my life around my mother's expectations. I gave up a lot of my core passions in order to please her which I regret a lot on my worst days, but always seem to rationalize away as my own decisions. She never forced me to do anything against my will - so I cannot blame her for anything. I did what I chose to do in the end but I used to keep everything she wanted at the back of my mind - always.

- I didn't get my father's acknowledgement for ANY of my successes till after I turned 30 when he finally said to me that "You have a heart of gold, and I really respect your kindness, generosity." Man I hungered for it growing up. I would go out of my way to please him and do things that would get him to respect/admire me --- but he never did. Not even after I got my MBA. But, a change came over him after I left him. I think he had become really dependant on my emotional / moral support which I have given him all my life. He recently posted on Facebook attributing his recent and greatest success in life to me --- and now I feel fulfilled there as well. He acknowledged that it was my motivation that got him to take his last job which has put him on the top of the country's list of Engineers.

- Anways ... I was gifted. But I didn't really want to be at the same time. I just wanted to be appreciated for what I did. I needed a lot of love and I got that from my mother and no one else. I also had a lot of my own to give so once I fell in love, poured it all out on my ex with the goal of becoming the "best husband the world has ever seen" ... I think that goal was insurmountable and unrealistic --- probably the only goal that has been. I just decided it for the wrong person.

- I accomplished all that I wanted to accomplish as a child and even grown-up and never felt a single moment of having failed at anything till my divorce.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Well, I was quite spirited, outspoken, dominant, entertaining and ambitious as a child. I was the biggest show-off ever. My father was a very successful and busy professional, so we had a lot of visitors thanks to his profession. More often than not, I wanted to take centre stage and sing a song or recite a poem or show them my books etc. My father had to firmly and kindly ask me to 'perform' after the end of the meeting. lol

After he passed away, my life was turned upside down lol. It changed my personality. I become much..much quieter, angrier, more serious, more focused, insensitive bordering on cruel especially where competition was concerned. I also became very mature in a lot of ways. I could turn on the social charm and sense of humour when I wanted to, though. I was very driven. I let absolutely nothing get in the way of my goals. I wrote a final the morning my dad died. lol. But, looking back..it would've been to realize that emotions weren't always an obstacle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Most adults I met commented that I was a very mature child. Not sure why, but most likely because my parents never "talked down" to me. They never baby-talked to me or dismissed my questions - in fact my father painstakingly researched almost every silly little question I asked. Kudos to them, I owe my parents a lot^^

Like other children, I was very curious and also asked a lot of questions. Because my parents encouraged it, however, this didn't die out until grade 4 when my mother went for parent-teacher meeting and many teachers started complaining I was disrupting their lessons by asking too many questions haha.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I was very introverted and dreamy as a child, even more so than I am now. I played by myself alot. However there was allways a wildness to me, and a fierceness(epecially when I got angry.) I allways craved adventure and I allways wanted to be a pirate, then I realized they didn't exist anymore so I was kind of sad about that.

I also excelled at reading and writing. I allways had my nose in a book and I was allways escaping to imaginary worlds I created in my head through books, legos, daydreaming ect. I went in burts of deep introspection and solitude and wild amounts of untamed energy. I'm kind of the same way now. Also, I was very curious about the world and eager to learn. And very messy too.

Looking back on it now, not a lot has changed, except I have more confidence and mroe ambition as I did as a child. But everything else is still there; the introversion, the dreaming, the wildness, the curiosity and wonder.

·
Banned
875 Posts
...my twin was the coy one and knew how to get what she wanted from my mom...she was the one who learned everything first....and to not make me feel bad for wetting the bed(she didn't) she let me have some chocolate chips...and then she relapsed like me because i was worse than she was....to get something from my parents i screamed and yelled and acted all emotional...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I was pretty much a poster child and student. For as long as I can remember I subconsciously adapted to behavior that people enjoyed being around. So every day I made sure I didn't get in trouble, worked hard, covered any emotion to make me look perfect, etc. The weird thing is is that I was never taught to do that. I was always taught to be myself and be happy... I don't know where the heck I trailed off. :laughing: It's weird to think that being in kindergarten, I was manipulative enough to do that. It was so natural to me.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I was a hot mess, lol. Attention whore doesn't even begin to cover it. I was constantly showing off, playing the biggest part, trying to be the best at whatever I did... not much has changed :p I was always involved in some sort of performance... sports, acting, musical, etc. I'm still an attention whore at heart, but I've learned to really take the edge off of those tendencies... boy, has it taken work x)

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
STUUUUUUBBBBBOOORRRRNNNN as Hell.

When I was a child there was this brilliant blue dress with pretty white lace that I absolutely adored. I loved it so much that I refused to wear anything else and would try to sleep, shower, and spend every waking moment in it. I demanded to wear it every day and never let my grandmother wash it or remove from sight. My grandmother absolutely hated the dress because of my obsession and eventually tried convince my mom to give it away for my own health.

I was also pretty damn bossy. There was a group of girls in our neighborhood and I always, always chose what we did. There was one other girl who would stand up and fight me, and we were at each other's throats like cats and dogs. My mother tried to talk to me about "taking turns" every night for months before finally giving in. I'm not as overtly bossy anymore. I've learned to mask my demands in humor.

I was oblivious to insults. People told me they didn't want to play with me in kindergarten and I always said "okay" and did something else. It never occured to me that they were cutting me out. I just figured if I wasn't with them, I could be doing something else. I spent a lot of my years growing up roving between different groups of people. I find I get tired of constant contact with the same people.

I was a fighter. I have dozens upon dozens of written reports on me taking stuff from other kids, biting them, harassing teachers, refusing to participate in functions. I pretty much did what I want, got in trouble, then stuck my tongue out and kept on doing what I liked. It's hilarious to read behavior write ups on me as a six-year-old.

I was single-minded. I convinced my friends to do many things that in hindsight were rather idiotic (albeit totally awesome and kickass).

I was daring. When we found a wasp's nest in my friend's bushes, I took a few whacks at it with a hockey stick for personal kicks. I would also wrestle and fight with my boy neighbors. One of them always went crying to his father, who complained to my mother about my behavior. When this same boy decided to sell his pokemon cards, I organized them, set up a stall, and arranged for a cut. Needless to say, he didn't like it. I was barred from their house for a week. I was ten.

I was business-minded. I sold things I owned and organized my friends into setting up car washes and other events in order to make money. I usually had a higher goal in mind (wanted to afford something else) when I did this.

I was vengeful. This boy in kindergarten kept pushing me around and bullying me. I ignored it until I'd had enough, at which point I grabbed him and bit him across the chest probably 20 times. His father was furious, but I was happy I'd had my revenge. I was expelled a few days after that for my aggressive behavior. In a similar manner, I a girl stolel one of my toys when I was young. At the end of the day, I demanded my father follow her car (she left the care center only second before my father arrived for me) and hunt her down so I could take it back. When he refused I had a fit.

I was argumentative. My mother would tell me to do things and I told her no. Flat to her face. She would punish me and I would bear the punishments with grim determination. Eventually, she switched to arranging contracts with me (apparently, this worked a lot better). I would read through every line of the contract and cross out the things I disagreed on. We would negotiate and re-negotiate. If she got upset and told me she was my mother and I should do what she said, I would get stubborn and tell her no. I think writing up and signing contracts (I did this with friends as well) permanently warped me in some way. I now love TERMS and AGREEMENTS forms, as well as any form of legal wordplay.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I was a hot mess, lol. Attention whore doesn't even begin to cover it. I was constantly showing off, playing the biggest part, trying to be the best at whatever I did... not much has changed :p I was always involved in some sort of performance... sports, acting, musical, etc. I'm still an attention whore at heart, but I've learned to really take the edge off of those tendencies... boy, has it taken work x)

Yeah, I was an attention whore. I talked about wanting to sing and recite poems and dance before my dad's clients. After my father brought me down to earth after a good well-timed reasoning session, I toned the performances down and agreed on a compromise---I'll perform after the meetings. :laughing:

@JuliaRhys

Did I just find my nasty lil girl twin? :laughing:
I was similar. My dad gifted me a book on my birthday, and my cousin hid it. I thought he'd return it in a few days. One day, he came by and showed me torn pages from that book. Saying I was angry is a gross understatement. I beat the living daylights out of him, bit his hands (he tore the book with them:p), threw him over the fence and kicked him until I was bored.

I nearly dragged a teacher to the Principal's office because she wouldn't allow me (or anyone else) to drink water (Indian schools have weird rules). She tried to hit me, and oh no..you don't go there. After I had gulped down an entire bottle of water, I wanted to spit in her face just for kicks. I knew it was impractical, so I dragged her off to the Principal's office instead for not letting me drink water in 47 Celsius weather.

Life is so full of crazy stories. I was a good student and was into extra-curricular activities (brought a lot of trophies and shit to the school), so I got away with a lot when it came to giving people a taste of their own medicine.

I used to bite my father when I got angry, but I stopped doing it after age 3/4 (stopped doing it to him i.e.). I was an odd mix of ambition, violence and kindness. lol. I was very revengeful, and my father tried very hard to teach me forgiveness. It hasn't quite helped, but of course, with age and wisdom, I have stopped biting people who piss me off.

Teachers often sent notes saying 1. She is ambitious and hardworking, but playful and destructive. 2. She is too aggressive.

p.s. I still have photocopies of 'contracts' I imposed on my mother.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
@Boss

Hahahahaha. Love your stories. Sounds like school in India was a bit rough (seriously, no water in 47 celsius weather? what???)

It's hilarious that you mention the biting thing. I was called "Teeth" by my parents because I bit other kids all the time growing up (until I was around six or so).

Reactions: Sina

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
@Boss

Hahahahaha. Love your stories. Sounds like school in India was a bit rough (seriously, no water in 47 celsius weather? what???)

It's hilarious that you mention the biting thing. I was called "Teeth" by my parents because I bit other kids all the time growing up (until I was around six or so).

I know; I am quite the storyteller :laughing:.

It was rough, and I am glad I only spent a few years there. I had been educated in England and Canada before that. So, the hitting, slapping I saw happening and denial of basic freedoms like being able to drink water when thirsty just ..I couldn't stand it. Soon enough, I realized I could get around it by using my academic clout and being clever +practical about it. I wanted school to be enjoyable.

My school (boarding school) had bitter-sweet feelings about being saved from further torture, because I flouted a lot of arbitrary rules that served no other function besides denying students freedom that they couldn't have abused anyway, and they couldn't do much because I was of "value" to the school. I wasn't used to being told to get in line with anyone's demands, and I sure as heck wasn't going to get used to it.

Recently, I met one of my best friends/first cousin. I used to bite her like crazy (sometimes, affectionately..very very weird I know), when we were kids. She's a 9w8:p, and she kind of just laughed it off until she got annoyed and punched me or whatever. Now, she has this super bull headed 3 year old who just would not stop biting me for no damn reason. After a while, I said "Control this puny Shaytan (farsi for Satan, often used for naughty kids) of yours or I'll pull her teeth out. :laughing:
That child helped me realize what a big fuckin pain in the ass I must've been.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I was nothing more than an extremely curious child, fairly quiet. I liked to be good at things, and enjoyed praise for my things, but understanding the world was more important to me. I was not bossy, and I did whatever the hell I wanted to do. I was not stubborn, it's just that nothing stopped me.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Recently, I met one of my best friends/first cousin. I used to bite her like crazy (sometimes, affectionately..very very weird I know), when we were kids. She's a 9w8:p, and she kind of just laughed it off until she got annoyed and punched me or whatever. Now, she has this super bull headed 3 year old who just would not stop biting me for no damn reason. After a while, I said "Control this puny Shaytan (farsi for Satan, often used for naughty kids) of yours or I'll pull her teeth out. :laughing:
That child helped me realize what a big fuckin pain in the ass I must've been.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or charge you with identity theft. I was also an "affectionate biter" growing up, particularly towards my 9w8 sister. Like your cousin, she put up with it until she'd had enough, at which point she'd shove her hands in my face and fend me off.

And I love how brazen three-year-olds are. They'll attack you no matter who you are, so long as you look tasty and it sounds fun. :D

Reactions: Sina

·
Banned
440 Posts
I was quiet. With other kids, at least. But I would challenge teachers. Before I knew I had even said anything, the swear words would come pouring out. One time it was "Why the f*ck do you want to know?" after one asked me how my day was going. Another time it was "Are you f*cking serious?" in front of about 100 people in an assembly, to the principal. I got a few laughs out of that. :tongue:

I was smart. I didn't have to revise or anything, but I was also a workaholic. I put 200% into everything I did. Fatigue, pain and exhaustion were things I didn't feel. And if I did I suppressed them. I had my front to keep up. But I cried a lot... Even then, it wasn't too long before I managed to encase that within a mask as well.

I fought for acceptance. I remember the boys constantly teasing me for trying to join their football (soccer) games, ever since I was seven. I never just sat back and thought, "It's never going to stop. I might as well just play with the girls.". I carried on joining in for 4 years straight until everyone was fine with me.

I was creative. It was common for a crowd to gather around me when I was animating things in Flash or just reading out a story I had written. And I'll admit it, I liked the compliments, because they meant something to me. Things hit harder or sink further in when you touch upon a strong or weak spot.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I was quiet, introverted. Everyone liked me, they were always saying I was cute, a "good boy", "responsible". I was not very competitive, but was an "achiever" -- I did many things at once. For a long time I thought I was a type 1 because of that. As I went deeper into self-knowledge, I realized it was an image I built, but it was unconscious, which is a vicious I have still today. It has always been very easy to make people like me and act in an atractive way.

I try hard to keep my ethical principles, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts