Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
What were you like as teenagers? Did you go through "emo," "punk," etc kind of phases with music?

oh jeeze. im coming right to the end of my teenage career. most of ynm life i made a point to dress as "non conformist" as possible. i didnt join the emo scene (looking at emo kids physically hurt me) but i did have a firm belieife that conformity was BAD!!! its funny, that since i've learned i was a guardian and that i've been lying to myself my whole life, im more of a big brother kind mof person. in ww2 i would have served under chervykov. anyway, i wore baggy jeans an iver sized armny jacket and a t shirt that was usually earthtoned. i still dont wear colours. my haiar was usually a dirty shag and i rarely shaved. i carried a knife, not that i ever used it but some of the guys i hang out with had ENEMIES and i felt it was important for me to be protected.i also worked out alot, too bad i didn know what the hell i was doing or else i'd probably be a lot bigger, i just did a bicep exercise then benchpressed. before i graduated i was only 130lbs and benching 185lb. i smoked for a while because i thought it would make me cool, i rarely drank, and on very few occasions smoked marijuanna. i had an incident where i almost tried cocaine. i hung out with some delinquents and did some dumb things (theft/vandelism). i moved to a new city and tried to make the same kind of friends there, but after a while i gave up and spent the next year and a half bu myself, just reading and doing what i felt like. i never got into trouble again, i made very few friends. my grades still dropped but that was because i knew i could pass without any effort and scrapped right along the FAIL line until i graduated. i burned every single bridge.

i started comunity college studying legal administration (to be a police officer) and found it relativley easy to do. you show up every day, you take notes and when there is a test you study those notes and boom bam. i founf i could speak up in almost every class and impress my teachers and classmates. just shit i had picked up reading. i finished my first semester with a b+ average. now im pushing 19 and am about to start my second semester. i still havent made any friends at school, not that i am trying. when people ask me to get food or somethign i actually feel a little put off. i might try to bang this one girl in my class. and thats my teen years.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
nah, I was too busy trying to be 'normal'
I am SO glad that I will never have to repeat those years again, EVER.

I had this HUGE reply written out, but it strayed from the original question considerably, so I erased it. Basically, like you, there were times that I tried to "fit in" with whatever the "popular" kids were doing, but it never worked out quite as I'd envisioned. I had (and still have!) my own very unique style of style (comfort is king!), musical tastes (rock and metal), movie and book tastes (sci-fi), etc., etc., etc.

Not "cool" when you're 15 ... but when you're almost 40, who gives a crap? (And the people that ARE worried about it need to seriously grow up, quit reliving their glory days, and get with the program, lol!)

·
Registered
217 Posts
What were you like as teenagers? Did you go through "emo," "punk," etc kind of phases with music?
I got into classic rock, metal and progressive rock- and still am, no trendy Fads for me. At the time this music was definitely a minority taste, hit singles were rare- we "rockers" were outsiders with a hint of "bad boy" about us wearing leather jackets, denim and growing our hair long, (the trendy kids followed the disco, ska and 80's synth pop.) This classic Rock, metal and progressive rock music has staying power and is still hugely popular today with all ages. Emo, seems to be some kind of record company created fad to sell to teenagers. No serious music fan would listen to that. I think it has or will soon die a death.

Get into some decent music! I suggest starting with Led Zeppelin, Rush and Black Sabbath and work forwards in time from those excellent early 1970's starting points.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm 16, so I'm still a teenager. I'm a cynical and untrusting person who has no need for other people. I hate everyone who I am forced to frequent at school and I'm extremely quiet, only talking when I am absolutely required to. Most of my fellow students are very immature and embarrassing; they could be even considered xenophobic. I've never had an issue with trying to be "normal" or trying to conform to others as I've always been innately different from everyone else. I've always had to endure a significant amount of racial discrimination because of my ethnicity, racial discrimination that no longer phases me.

I have no interest in music.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I was into classic rock and a bit of metal in high school. I didn't go through any phase. I dressed pretty conservatively and couldn't have been put into any emo/gangster etc label.

Also, I don't like emos.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
When I was a teenager, the earth's crust was still cooling, and emo hadn't been discovered yet. No groups for me. We had ropers, dopers, jocks, and everyone else. I was an "everyone else."

EDIT: Oh yeah, the music thing. Mostly listened to rock, as did almost everyone. 'Cept the ropers. They listened to both kinds of music: Country AND Western.

Reactions: Tuttle

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts

I had this HUGE reply written out, but it strayed from the original question considerably, so I erased it. Basically, like you, there were times that I tried to "fit in" with whatever the "popular" kids were doing, but it never worked out quite as I'd envisioned. I had (and still have!) my own very unique style of style (comfort is king!), musical tastes (rock and metal), movie and book tastes (sci-fi), etc., etc., etc.

Not "cool" when you're 15 ... but when you're almost 40, who gives a crap? (And the people that ARE worried about it need to seriously grow up, quit reliving their glory days, and get with the program, lol!)
Are you my long lost sibling?:dry::cool:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw.... they wouldn't let me edit anymore. But the question is open to other quirks and idiosyncrasies of your teenage years. Music was just one thing I was curious about

·
Registered
39 Posts
(I'm trying to express myself so sorry for writing massive paragraphs, when I write stuff like this it helps me get out the emotions I've been holding in my entire life.)
I was 13 when I graduated 8th grade (as we most people) with a small class (12 kids) had one real friend. Still is a good friend to me whom I hang out with occasionally. At the time I liked to skateboard, I wasn't very good at it and really stuck to my street. I continued thinking I was the 'skate" type until I was through my sophomore year in high-school. I dressed with no real style, just blue jeans and a t-shirt from Wal-mart. During my first year of highschool I made two friends, one was my friend because my older brother and his older brother were friends..so I had already met him before, didn't really become more than an acquittance with him. Became friends with my best friend my sophomore year, we used to go on adventures outside of school (because both of our parents picked us up 4 hours after school was over.) Anyways, we were both what I would consider... the "nerds" of the school, even though we didn't have massive glasses or anything, my class size was only 80 people and we were the closest to acting like nerds than anyone. I didn't really like music my first year of highschool, but I was exposed to metal towards the end by someone and I've been listening to it since.
Graduated highschool now, neither of us are huge nerds anymore, but still maintain interest in nerdy subjects.
After highschool I went to a community college in hopes to save some money, but honestly I hated the environment..it was just like highschool except everyone there acted like they were on crack so it drove me off the edge. I have now transferred to the same school as my best friend-long story short, being the sheltered little boy I am.. my mom didn't think I could make it on my own so I had to conform to her standards to get her to try to let me go. (I'm just about free now! :D )

tl;dr
I was/am a nerd.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
After highschool I went to a community college in hopes to save some money, but honestly I hated the environment..it was just like highschool except everyone there acted like they were on crack so it drove me off the edge.
We've got those same kind of people at my community college. I don't really concern myself with it, because to be honest most of them are still kids in my humble opinion, and still have a lot of growing up to do. The good news is that most of them will, eventually :)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
LOL! To which part of my reply are you referring?
Let's start here:

I have said this so many times! I would NEVER want to repeat those angst-filled teen years!

I had this HUGE reply written out, but it strayed from the original question considerably, so I erased it.
Good Grief! How many times have I done THAT! Sometimes I've deleted what I've written TWICE because of this straying and realizing that I'm off topic, and it's beginning to become disjointed, and not what I really wanted to say, and oh man!

Basically, like you, there were times that I tried to "fit in" with whatever the "popular" kids were doing, but it never worked out quite as I'd envisioned. I had (and still have!) my own very unique style of style (comfort is king!), musical tastes (rock and metal), movie and book tastes (sci-fi), etc., etc., etc.
I tried the "cool everything" as far as clothes, etc., but I learned that I just don't like them. As I type this I am wearing my ONLY pair of jeans. I hate jeans and only wear them when I am doing laundry and want to wash everything that I will wear next week. (I LOVE and empty laundry hamper.) Jeans--ya can't get into the pockets, they itch and bunch and fade and just yuck. So seldom do I wear jeans that last year I wore them to one scout meeting. No less than five people stopped and raised their eyebrows, pointing at my jeans. I never say anything about not liking them, I just don't wear them.:laughing:

I love comfort. So it's dockers and boat shoes for casual wear and Dickies and boots for work. I do wear dress up stuff to church, weddings, etc., but I hate it and will shed them as quick as I can.

I think women dress in the craziest stuff. I would never wear something as uncomfortable as nylons and high heels 'cuz it looks better. I tell SWMBO to wear flats and forget the hose...it just ain't worth it.

So yeah, comfort and functional.

And I'm with you on personal tastes in books, movies, music, etc. I do enjoy variety in these things, so it don't bother me to watch a chick flick with SWMBO, but after a bit they do need to blow something up to keep my attention.:wink:

Exactly. I've lived long enough to come to the point of being willing to reasonably try to fit in as far as the occasion goes, but I really don't care if you don't like my style. I figure you'll get over it. Or maybe you'll leave me alone--which ain't all bad either.:laughing:

There is little that will trigger a smirk of derision from me quicker than a forty-something that is still vain. Get rid of the toupee, comb-over, gold chain, shirt-unbuttoned, model wanna-be look and grow up already. That metro-sexual look is great on a 25 year old, but it looks awful on a geezer with kids in college.:shocked::cool:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I have said this so many times! I would NEVER want to repeat those angst-filled teen years!
When I talk to other people who say that high school was the "best years of their lives", I internally shake my head and wonder to myself if they just fell off the mothership.

I tried the "cool everything" as far as clothes, etc., but I learned that I just don't like them. As I type this I am wearing my ONLY pair of jeans. I hate jeans and only wear them when I am doing laundry and want to wash everything that I will wear next week. (I LOVE and empty laundry hamper.) Jeans--ya can't get into the pockets, they itch and bunch and fade and just yuck. So seldom do I wear jeans that last year I wore them to one scout meeting. No less than five people stopped and raised their eyebrows, pointing at my jeans. I never say anything about not liking them, I just don't wear them.:laughing:
Same here. I hate jeans - on me. They look fine on other people. I used to own LOTS of jeans when I was in high school (specifically, the ones that were really tight around the ankles back in the mid-80's ... the kind that had little zippers near the ankles so they could be zipped down and taper down really tight at the ankles), but I don't have a single pair in my closet now. I've got some khaki capris and some black knee-length shorts that I usually wear to work during the week. On those weeks that weekends are involved (my schedule rotates), I'll take it down a notch; tonight, I have on a pair of ladies' boxers, a tank top, and a lightweight hoodie (it gets a bit chilly here at night with the AC on). Fortunately for me, the environment is really casual here at my job, and as long as it's not "revealing", the bosses don't really care what I wear, as long as I do my job (which for the most part is interacting with the residents here before they go to bed for the night).

I love comfort. So it's dockers and boat shoes for casual wear and Dickies and boots for work. I do wear dress up stuff to church, weddings, etc., but I hate it and will shed them as quick as I can.
I also dress up for more formal occasions, but like you, ditch it the moment I'm back home. I've always been that way, even when I was younger. I remember "picture day" at school. I always hated those days, because I'd be stuck wearing something really uncomfortable and "not me" clothes ALL DAY. Yuck.

I think women dress in the craziest stuff. I would never wear something as uncomfortable as nylons and high heels 'cuz it looks better. I tell SWMBO to wear flats and forget the hose...it just ain't worth it.
I detest hose and heels as well. Again, I'll wear them IF I have to (for instance, a job interview at a business that has a more formal dress code, etc.), but I prefer slacks, a blouse, and flats if the "culture" at the job interview (or whatever) allows for it.

And I'm with you on personal tastes in books, movies, music, etc. I do enjoy variety in these things, so it don't bother me to watch a chick flick with SWMBO, but after a bit they do need to blow something up to keep my attention.:wink:
I was never into "chick flicks" even when I was younger. I remember very well going to the theater to watch "Pretty In Pink" when I was a teenager. I was so bored I walked out halfway through the movie. Seriously. On the other hand, I sat all the way through "Commando"!

Exactly. I've lived long enough to come to the point of being willing to reasonably try to fit in as far as the occasion goes, but I really don't care if you don't like my style. I figure you'll get over it. Or maybe you'll leave me alone--which ain't all bad either.:laughing:
Exactly! Get out of my head! :laughing: :wink:

There is little that will trigger a smirk of derision from me quicker than a forty-something that is still vain. Get rid of the toupee, comb-over, gold chain, shirt-unbuttoned, model wanna-be look and grow up already. That metro-sexual look is great on a 25 year old, but it looks awful on a geezer with kids in college.:shocked::cool:
... or a woman of the same age that walks into a gas station wearing a bikini top and daisy dukes. I realize it's roasting hot outside this time of year, and yes, I wear tank tops and shorts (or the boxers that LOOK like shorts), but the shorts cover up my rear end, and my chest isn't spilling out for everyone to see. I don't want to see their junk. Yuck.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. I have to agree with what you posted earlier. Maybe we were separated at birth, lol :happy:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I'm only 20, so barely out of my "teen" years, but I never really cared at all about being cool. I really wasn't a fan of high school in general but I love college life. The friends I've made there are much more like myself, in that they are who they are and don't care. No "non-conformist" garbage, since people with that mentality are still completely affected by the random norms of society. I've always been a dork and most of my close friends will tell you that's a major part of why we're friends, because they're just as dorky. :laughing: It was really refreshing to meet friends that were just as into the things that I am that didn't care to talk about it. My friends all have a "thing" they're really interested in, some have several actually. For example, one guy is super into astronomy and frequently gives us lessons on it outside at night. Another is a 5th degree black belt in 5 different forms of Kung Fu, and teaches the rest of us twice a week. One rides a unicycle while playing basketball, two are awesome at making chainmail, DDR champ, frisbee king, etc. We once discussed we were the biggest bunch of misfits around, but wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as clothing style went though, I guess I did go with trends and things, but only ones that I actually found to be fitting for myself. If I liked it and it looked good on I got it. I do like to look really put together in the mornings, but looking "cool" is not a part of that.

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
1-5-4 : a reserved, cerebral and fairly intuitive One, who has a preference for the realm of the thought and the abstract. They can be very theoretical and philosophical and like to be alone and ponder things for a long time. They have a developed imagination and a deep insight into the nature of things and people. Mainly isolationists, they have a tendency towards spareness and austerity and are generally economical and even avaritious. At times experience gloomy moods which they strangely enjoy.
usual subtypes: self-preserving, 1w9
similar tritypes: 1-4-5, 5-1-4
flavours: theoretical, philosophical, hoarding and insightful

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm still a teenager, technically (only 19 years old). In junior high, I was angry a lot of the time, and I had a very bad countenance. I didn't have very many good friends- all of the girls my age were all backstabbing, gossiping lie-tellers. I was reckless, and my mom made me go see a counselor. I was still crazy, and decided to switch schools, and attend a high school where my dad was a teacher (in a town 1/2 hour away from where I lived).
In high school, I completely changed. I now felt pressured by my dad's good reputation to be perfect, and I tried very much to be. As the years passed, I became a better person, and I found myself loving everything about the small town and the people in it. The town that I live in was always known for being "rich" and "snobbish," and I am happy that I escaped that mentality that I was headed towards. I made some great friends during my sophomore and junior years, and I became very close to some teachers that I had known since childhood. I often used the fact that I couldn't drive or the distance thing as an excuse to not do social things with my friends, but that's okay. I hate social things anyway.
I found that in college- I have become more of a lover of rules and order. I cannot stand the lack of rules around here. But I make up my own rules, and follow those.

As for music- in junior high, I loved Christian rock and 80s. In high school, I grew less fond of Christian rock, and really loved country radio and 80s rock and Michael Buble. For the past year of college, I have loved Billy Joel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts