Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
from my experience there are far more bitter INFP's than there are nice ones

in retrospect everyone has a nice side, but the INFP's i know don't show that side as often as they show their bad side
Really? we all seem to be extremely nice and caring, especially to one another.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
<----

:happy:

No, but honestly, I think it would depend on how evil. And evil people tend to look like normal people. At least the real ones. If we're talking about fictional villians, the joker might be INFP. Maybe.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Really? we all seem to be extremely nice and caring, especially to one another.
So what you are saying is... ALL INFP's are extremely nice and caring?

hahaha

my head hurts.. but yeah.. I can safely say there are definitely some "evil" INFP's out there. I'm also pretty sure each and every single person in the world (including all INFP's) could be "evil" if they wanted to be.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I didn't say none are evil, which I still haven't gotten an answer ot my question "what's the consensus here for what evil means")

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
They definitely can though not usually without a reason, Though I have a lot of hate for things it would take something to make me evil. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Smerdyakov from The Brothers Karamazov is a great example of an INFP gone bad...he was disstorted by the things people told him and he just ddin't have the right values at all

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
They look something like me, probably. :cool:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Evil INFPs... well, I guess evil INFPs are the ones who become bitter because of our bad experiences, and end up hateful and intolerant. Some of us become vengeful because we feel helpless, while others hold back our anger until it erupts unexpectedly in ways that end up hurting people. INFPs definitely have the potential to turn evil and to get stuck in that state, although most of us are only occasionally affected by bursts of evil that are closely related to our feelings of anxiety or of having been wronged/oppressed/victimized.

An evil INFP movie villain would be the archetype of the dystopian "idealist" who wants to rid the world of whatever s/he perceives as the biggest threat to what s/he values, or to what s/he identifies as being vital to his/her sense of self.

This is the movie villain I relate to the most, who is passionately idealistic and displays strong Fi.

·
Registered
182 Posts
An evil INFP movie villain would be the archetype of the dystopian "idealist" who wants to rid the world of whatever s/he perceives as the biggest threat to what s/he values, or to what s/he identifies as being vital to his/her sense of self. .

That is what I was thinking. An dark INFP would be someone so driven by there core values that they would hurt others to achieve it, or just psychologically twisted somehow. I would not call the former evil per say as evil is subjective in itself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think INFPs have a darker alignment than we like to let ourselves think. And really, evil can take on so many appearances it's kinda hard to specify the look. There could be the innocent but super evil one. Then there's the obviously gaudy evil that's really just over compensating. Then there's everything in between.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If anyone's read Death Note... I would guess Light is INTJ but I can see an INFP doing something similar if put in his situation. So driven to achieve their idea of utopia that their traditional sense of "right and wrong" is lost.
the George Carlin quote "inside every cynic is a disappointed idealist" also comes to mind

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Is it possible? Could an infp be evil? What do you think it would look like?
I can be evil towards people that I consider (really) evil people. I'm never evil towards people that I consider innocent (and likewise) and people that are what I consider decent. Though even then I consider myself quite accepting of others as / also I have empathy. Anyone that tries to exploit / harm / damage people that I consider decent / innocent / the vulnerable / etc can be subject to my rage if such person are not careful and it is not pretty if it happens as my "I don't care about the consequences" mode / state can appear. I'm also a 5 Enneagram and so I can be quite emotionally detached at times when I am outraged and out of control but thankfully that is happening less and less as I am growing older.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I feel like I could do anything if I were set on it and tend to overdo things or take them too far.

If other infps are like this, then I imagine it would be really bad.

But I don't really believe in evil. There are insane people. There are emotionally or mentally broken people.

But I think people usually just classify someone as evil so that they won't have to deal with the human side of that person, so that they won't have to think, 'I could become this way,' or, 'I could do what this person has done.' Recognizing that you have the ability to do something that you think is wrong is difficult. It's easier to simply say, 'That person is evil. They are completely different / separate from me,' because then you don't have to empathize with that person and confront what you see as a negative aspect of yourself.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I think I can be really cynical in a "tough shit" kind of way, which could be seen as evil by some people. It is mostly when people are expecting something out of me that I just can't or won't give them at the time. And it could be anything, including emotional support or a kind gesture. Sometimes I sabotage kindness and go the opposite way, like I resent being expected to be nice all the time, so I purposely do the opposite. Like I need to prove to myself that I am not a doormat. Sometimes this makes sense and sometimes it doesn't at all. For example, if someone is being really nice to me, I sometimes will see myself uncontrollably be rude to them FOR NO REASON. It's like I don't want them to keep being nice to me so I make them confused or mad at me so they will stop being nice. That could be considered evil because it doesn't help anyone, including myself.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I think I can be really cynical in a "tough shit" kind of way, which could be seen as evil by some people. It is mostly when people are expecting something out of me that I just can't or won't give them at the time. And it could be anything, including emotional support or a kind gesture. Sometimes I sabotage kindness and go the opposite way, like I resent being expected to be nice all the time, so I purposely do the opposite. Like I need to prove to myself that I am not a doormat. Sometimes this makes sense and sometimes it doesn't at all. For example, if someone is being really nice to me, I sometimes will see myself uncontrollably be rude to them FOR NO REASON. It's like I don't want them to keep being nice to me so I make them confused or mad at me so they will stop being nice. That could be considered evil because it doesn't help anyone, including myself.
Wow, I relate to this completely. When I was younger, people would often tell my parents I was 'good' or 'perfect'. I hated the idea of people focusing on my behaviour, or to be known as solely good, and actively sought to have people not see me in such a positive light. I actively sabotage positive reputations... even discouraging all possibility of anyone coming to be dependent or attached to me.

I can be incredibly insensitive. I can also dislocate from feeling, which kind of terrifies me.

I agree with others in refraining from using the very value laden term, "evil".

I think it would be difficult for an infp to be "evil", without somehow moving past their conscience. I know I feel the weight of all my decisions. A life of evil would probably tear the infp apart internally. Perhaps that would aid in the spiral downwards?. I am sure there are psychopath infps' out there. There would have to be. That is a slightly horrifying idea. Fi coupled with lack of empathy or emotion = ... 0_0

Perhaps an infp could become so desensitized to the feedback system of their own conscious, moral infractions wouldn't hurt you anymore, and instead you'd get some sick pleasure from doing what you thought was wrong. I know people can lose a sense of their humanity through alienation, isolation, a 'victim complex'. People can be very opportunistic and make snap decisions. Personally, I do feel the temptation to go against my morals. I used to hate seeing that "darkness", but it's there.

I could imagine a nihilistic, highly impulsive, hot headed infp being able to rationalise militant behaviour to theirselves. Not exactly "evil", but if you added to that any combination of intelligence, heavy Te, prejudice, discrimination, an abusive or neglectful formative experience, or highly refined ideals... that could result in a potentially very successful sociopath or even vigilante type infp. Using people to their whim, and getting away with it because they convince others so well of their innocence. They may even believe it their selves.

I know an enfp with borderline personality and her ability to emotionally manipulate is powerful and very damaging. I would hate to be like that, and am naturally not. But Fi+Ne can definately be used to manipulate and severely crush the emotions of others through very creative means. Whereas the enfp might be a little more explosive, the infp might do their work quietly behind the scenes (possibly inflicting even more damage). I'm glad most of us use the powers for good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts