Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to know what you would do if the uprising of the undead or the wipeout of society hits our planet.
My plan:
I would probably try to stay at a secure place for a while, maybe a week and try to scavenge afterwards. Most people would turn crazy and stock on all the resources as fast as possible. The only problem is that if everyone does so, people will turn at each other guaranteed. But all in all I don't expect myself to survive for a very long time...

What would you do?

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
I would probably just die. I wouldn't want to live in a post-apocalyptic society or die at the hands of starvation or zombies.
Agreed. I would kill myself. I have absolutely no desire to live on this planet post-apocalypse. And I would eventually die a gruesome death at the hands of the zombies anyways. It would be better to just destroy myself rather than have the zombies destroy me.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
6w5 style, rally up the survivors with the will to live. Keep them fiercely loyal and working towards the benefit of the group. Sorry Fi's, but I don't trust you in these circumstances so you're on your own (just how you prefer it). Kidding... partly.

In general, no time for saving the severely emotionally unstable or suicidal people, although I understand your perspective. I'll just understand it from all the way over.............. here. The rest of us are focused on surviving so I can't have any toxic personalities.

For the most part, I think this group would provide a level of security for us in terms of avoiding minor skirmishes with singular or small packs of survivors not affiliated with us. Larger groups likely wouldn't take any risks against us, so it would be a truce in terms of no side wanting loses. This would deviate into 'territory,' and inevitably war once one side feels more entitled or 'powerful' than the other.

In terms of a base, I'd kind of prefer to have something near the sea because I feel like any other place would result in a 360 degree area of paranoia surrounding us. Plus, the sounds of the ocean would help calm spirits and nullify some of the noises that would make most others jumpy. Also, if possible I would consider building a boat so we could drift off to sea and dock when necessary.

All in all, I think things would go well unless mutiny or dissension occurred within the ranks.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Use it as an opportunity to draw closer to my loved ones and form new ties with people who were not prepared for this. I actually would secretly love for something like this to happen. People get too comfortable in their lives. They forget that they need one another and the power in community.

·
Banned
775 Posts
Come back from my summer long break, and I'm rewarded with the inability to space between paragraphs. ;w;.... Fair enough. ----- I guess in an apocalypse, I'd see who'd be in ranking of survival. ;)........... ------- On a more serious/personal note... I do believe when such a situation is presented, the question never ceases to be brought up in the mind as - "If it's the apocalypse, what's the meaning in continuing?" Despite me being a Type 4w5 searching for meaning through youthful uncertainties..... (;-;) I don't believe in giving up. And I, Thicks1, will NOT cease to die, nor break, in an apocalyptic setting. I will take the moral, and necessary actions for survival at my DISCRETION. ------- Or die trying..... ;P...... --------- But, on a more REALISTIC outcome, I'd likely end up as the universal truth shows. I will try my hardest, but I do believe that anything is possible. Living, or dying. -------- On a PSYCHOLOGICAL effect on my PSYCHE, I'd probably reduce mentally to a state of utter paranoia and have anti-social tendancies to the EXTREME. (Thank you 5w6 fix ^_^) ---------- <<< Incase you haven't noticed, the bar ' --------- ' is to be seen as that I am trying a different way of spacing my 'comment.' And this I guess, concludes my answer to the post. X_X It is an interesting thought, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Honestly, I'd love for the shit to hit the fan. After all, it's already been slowly getting fed through it and spraying on our faces for quite some time now. Sorry for that visualization.

Here's a thought. The zombie apocalypse is already here. We're already pretty much working, functioning, taxable zombies. Hell, some of us might even be a little smelly and gruesome although I make sure to keep myself clean. Hmmm...perhaps that's why they lash out at me in public. They don't smell negativity on my person.

All that aside. We live in a society that's controlled in so many ways and yet is so disgusting and wrong in just about every way imaginable. We've become actors and actresses like what we've been fed through the boobtube. It might be interesting to know just what percentage of people experience real/genuine emotions/thoughts/influences from deep within their own core or to take it from their higher self being that core has most likely already been compromised.

If things do get crazy then I'll most likely be the one running around with a grin from ear to ear as I swing across rooftops and drive fast cars through street of insanity and chaos. Yes...I live for chaos. Why?...because it shakes the walls of a fake structure of society. It forces others to get real.

I agree with @Vivid Melody . People get too comfortable in their own little lives/kingdoms/bubbles..etc and often lose their connection with those around them. What if that connection was required as an alert/security/early warning system so as to be able to keep us all from falling into a dangerous situation? Like becoming a nation similar to North Korea *cough cough*. Just saying. It's already too late. Good thing people all were too much of pussies to stand for their own free thoughts and open their eyes to that what's around them instead of bowing down to naysayers. Sure, people are STARTING to be heard. Too bad it doesn't matter because our shackles are already so far tightened that the only way out will most likely be through death and chaos. You've all been programmed to turn each other in on grounds of being scared. Look at these shows on tv of how easily family members are convinced or even just willingly turn in their own family member who's running from the law. Some family that is. Then again..perhaps my family was different..or maybe that's what you'd like to think as you read this right now.

Back to what @Lad was saying...I'd rather make it on my own or at least in the beginning. Let people have some time to restructure their thinking a bit. Let them realize the meaning of working/coming together. Me personally...I was made for this...bring it on!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hate southern stereotypes... I hate them with a passion. However, one is true: "rednecks" would survive the apocalypse.

I know every backwoods trail in my area, I know my medicinal herbs, how to tan hides and clean animals for food (I've never done it but I've been taught), how to make jerky by a fire, and weaponry is not foreign to me. If I'm allowed to take a few people with me I can think of a group of 5 of us right now who would have no problems. If I'm going completely solo, I could last at least a few months.

There is a very large trail close to my home, it's a popular hiking trail, but most people do not know that it actually splits off into another trail. This one has a few abandoned buildings along the way. I'd hold out there for as long as possible. As for trading and such, I think it would be best to just stick to your own group for the first few months to a year. This would hopefully avoid cases of new groups killing each other over supplies. Mentally? Yeah I'd be a paranoid mess.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I hate southern stereotypes... I hate them with a passion. However, one is true: "rednecks" would survive the apocalypse.

I know every backwoods trail in my area, I know my medicinal herbs, how to tan hides and clean animals for food (I've never done it but I've been taught), how to make jerky by a fire, and weaponry is not foreign to me. If I'm allowed to take a few people with me I can think of a group of 5 of us right now who would have no problems. If I'm going completely solo, I could last at least a few months.

There is a very large trail close to my home, it's a popular hiking trail, but most people do not know that it actually splits off into another trail. This one has a few abandoned buildings along the way. I'd hold out there for as long as possible. As for trading and such, I think it would be best to just stick to your own group for the first few months to a year. This would hopefully avoid cases of new groups killing each other over supplies. Mentally? Yeah I'd be a paranoid mess.
What would it take for me to get you to join the Lad clan (sorry, you weren't at the naming ceremony to put in your vote) instead of banding with these other yuppies in this thread? My starting offer is 3 granola bars, 2 cans of Campbell's soup and a pack of cigs. Oh you don't smoke? You will soon enough!

Reactions: Halcyon

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I watched World War Z and I was mortified at how humanity suddenly turned into every man for himself when mutual benefit went out the door and survival resources were scarce. It really scared me. I almost had to leave the theater, but I'm glad I didn't because I really enjoyed the movie. I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd try to stick with my family at least.

Reactions: Halcyon

·
Registered
487 Posts
What would it take for me to get you to join the Lad clan (sorry, you weren't at the naming ceremony to put in your vote) instead of banding with these other yuppies in this thread? My starting offer is 3 granola bars, 2 cans of Campbell's soup and a pack of cigs. Oh you don't smoke? You will soon enough!
*looks at tobacco prevention program shirt from high school, then over to inhaler* um... no. No thank you. I'm good.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I try to find or protect my family I will probably die.:unsure:

If I'm on my own I will start by cutting off my hair so it'll be out of the way, then collect as many medical supplies as possible, as I feel these are the best leverage for trading (you can collect water and hunt food, but eventually some mundane illness will get you or someone you care about) I will try to travel light rather than packrat food and supplies because I'm counting more on my small size and swiftness rather than strength to keep me alive and being female there's a slightly higher chance someone will pity me enough to share things with me later on. If all goes well I should make it to the mountain area east of my small town (lots of climbable trees, edible bugs, plants, and several fresh water sources) with a small pack of supplies- good knife, small iron skillet, metal cup, rope, garbage bag (for warmth, impromptu tent, or to collect condensation), fire starter, binoculars, medical supplies, and nonperishable light food- nuts (for protein), vitamin C tablets (so I don't get scurvy), sugar (for quick energy), and some rice or flour (for carbs)

I see how if it's a zombie like thing the coast would be a nice option. If you are a decent fisherman or even scavenger there's plenty of food, high visibility, and (with a boat) an instant escape route. You would have to hoard freshwater, make a condensation collecting device, or pray for rain all the time though.

Also if it's a zombie problem I'm more likely to join a group.
I'm no Rambo. Ideally I need protection and being a good negotiator, I should be able to help keep calm and rational a group of semi pre sane individuals. I'll make up some sort of back story to make myself seem extra useful and disappear quietly if things go awry. My greatest hope for the whole situation would be not having to hurt anyone directly even in self defense.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with @Saki, most of the people from the south would be fine.

The thing that I love about living in the middle of nowhere is that my family owns a decent chunk of land, and my father owns enough guns to ensure that we would retain ownership of said land. Personally, I'd just retreat out to our little compound and start building walls. Seeing that I'm from a small, rural community, I'm sure that most of us would band together, so manpower and resources probably wouldn't be a huge issue.

Eventually, after the initial shock had worn off, I would start to rebuild. When necessary, I believe that I can be a fairly persuasive individual, and, as manipulative as it may sound, I think that, given the state of panic that would surely arise in such a scenario, I wouldn't have a difficult time talking my way into some position of authority. I would, however, be a benevolent leader, and I would use my position to craft a society focused on the collective good. Any outsider would be welcome in my little community, provided that they pull their own weight, and that they don't actively attempt to harm the collective. If they couldn't agree to those terms, then they could just go find somewhere to build there own walled settlement--they sure wouldn't be getting into mine.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
All that is required is a few bridges across the Mississipppi to become impassable, and the East coast will suffer loss of vital supplies and will be chaos in a matter of days. A loss of the power grid - a super solar storm, maybe - and recovery might not be possible. There would be all the old infectious diseases, carrion flies, a plague of rats, fleas, emotional shock from daily seeing and smelling bloated bodies and dead chidren being eaten by everything from o'possums up.
Most - all but a small fraction of one percent - would die within weeks, many from catatonic shock.

Bye-Bye, y'all. This ol' redneck is taking an early out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay guys, your plans are a lot more thorough than mine, that's for sure! Now, what would you do in a non-zombie apocalypse. If anyone is a fan of those worldwide disaster movies, like my mother is, then it almost always ends with civilization rebuilding, all is good, etc. But what if 96% of the human population has died and there is no civilization. NO zombies, just people scavenging.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts