Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread made me think of what I would do if I suddenly became omnipotent. On one hand, there are many things in my life and the world in general that I would like to improve, but on the other hand I'm worried about the consequences of using my powers.

My main problem is that I'm not sure how to define what makes me me, or what makes anyone themselves. It seems to me that if you would use your powers to drastically change someone's personality, you might as well kill them and replace them with someone else with the personality you wanted. However, you can impact someone's personality without being omnipotent, so where is the line between changing a person and effectively killing them?

Another problem is the idea that 'Absolute power corrupts absolutely'. I'm worried that using my powers too much would corrupt me, such that I would use my powers in ways that I would've considered wrong or evil before I had gotten my powers.

Even if I don't use my powers in an evil way, I still worry that just using my powers would change me such that I become someone so different from who I am now that "I" would have effectively died.

That being said, I would probably use my powers in such a way that I no longer need a job. There would probably also be a lot of consequence free munching.

[hr][/hr]

One limit I would like to add to the idea of omnipotence is that you can't wish for vague concepts. For example, you can't just wish for world peace, you'll have to wish for a specific implementation of world peace (i.e. make everyone value peace over anything else, eliminate all humans altogether, etc.).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Another problem is the idea that 'Absolute power corrupts absolutely'. I'm worried that using my powers too much would corrupt me
I never believed in this. I think it's the thirst for power that corrupts people that are already shady to begin with. No one has ever had absolute power. People with power are aware of their fragile position, they are afraid that they will lose their power if they don't demonstrate it to others in some way. So they end up doing shady things to hold on to power and to increase it. But if you actually had absolute power, you could just chill out because you're untouchable at that point.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Nothing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd first ask friendly, for everyone to shut up for a day, then demanding, then probably destroy some closeby solar system to show I mean it, then in the end, sulk, as even that won't help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That would be cool to have omnipotence. I would make faster than light starships and have humanity colonize the universe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that the moment you get to define who you are for 100%, life has become meaningless. So I think I would secure myself, family and friends a nice comfortable place on this earth with enough money to never have to worry about that again. And then get rid of the omnipotence, grow to 85 and happily perish in my sleep, as I intend to.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I you were omnipotent it means you could do everything. So could you renounce omnipotence ?
Yes, but why would you want to?

I never believed in this. I think it's the thirst for power that corrupts people that are already shady to begin with. No one has ever had absolute power. People with power are aware of their fragile position, they are afraid that they will lose their power if they don't demonstrate it to others in some way. So they end up doing shady things to hold on to power and to increase it. But if you actually had absolute power, you could just chill out because you're untouchable at that point.
But if you're untouchable, you wouldn't have to worry about the consequences of any of your actions. Especially since you can reverse any consequences of your actions whenever you want. So how long until you start trying out "evil" stuff, just to see what it would be like? And how long until you no longer bother reversing the consequences?

Humans have an amazing ability to rationalize almost anything. Even if you start with good intentions, it's easy to get carried away.

Maybe you're right though and this wouldn't be a problem for most people. I'm just not sure if it wouldn't be a problem for me. I would hope not, but I think it's presumptuous to assume that my morals would stay intact when I have nothing even close to experiencing omnipotence.

I think that the moment you get to define who you are for 100%, life has become meaningless. So I think I would secure myself, family and friends a nice comfortable place on this earth with enough money to never have to worry about that again. And then get rid of the omnipotence, grow to 85 and happily perish in my sleep, as I intend to.
Yeah, that's part of the problem, you can never define who you are 100%, but then where do you draw the line between 'you' and 'not you'? It's a Sorites paradox.

Why would you get rid of the omnipotence? Would you use your omnipotence to guarantee you would live to 85?

Also, how do people imagine getting a ton of money when they wish for that? Bills have unique numbers, meaning that if you get a huge stack, they're all basically fakes. Putting it in your bank account obviously doesn't work either. And getting it all in coins would require a lot of storage space if you want to have enough for the rest of your life. Plus, wouldn't there always be a risk that your government becomes suspicious if you don't have an income but keep spending a bunch of money?

So in what form exactly would you wish for enough money for you, your family and your friends to live comfortable for the rest of your lives?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
But if you're untouchable, you wouldn't have to worry about the consequences of any of your actions. Especially since you can reverse any consequences of your actions whenever you want. So how long until you start trying out "evil" stuff, just to see what it would be like? And how long until you no longer bother reversing the consequences?
Maybe, maybe not. I think that I wouldn't care enough to cause harm to anyone. There's so much other stuff that I could do. Playing around with people's lives just seems trivial, petty and rather boring.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe, maybe not. I think that I wouldn't care enough to cause harm to anyone. There's so much other stuff that I could do. Playing around with people's lives just seems trivial, petty and rather boring.
So what would you do with omnipotence?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Become immortal, and spend eternity creating new things and universes each progressively weirder than the last. Also, a weight so heavy even I couldn't lift it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
What would you do with (near) omnipotence?
I'd like to say I'd do all kinds of amazing things, but I'm an underacheiver with the potential I have now. Anyway, I think it would take some of the mystery and adventure out of life, so I think I'd pass.

·
Registered
156 Posts
so by "near omnipotence" do you mean that I would know everything that is currently available to me as of now or would I be able to see into the future as well

·
Registered
614 Posts
That would be cool to have space elevators that can take us to space or at least geosynchronous orbit. Especially if there were a nice restaurant and space station at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wouldn't really want to control anyone or anything out of fear of screwing things up. Instead, I'd use my powers to become immortal and travel throughout the entirety of the universe, and witness everything I could possibly find

1 - 20 of 55 Posts