Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Identities change over time, circumstances and environment. E.g. at home your identity could be your parents' honey, at work your identity is boss/staff, at a shop you become a customer etc.

So what would you like others to base your identity on?
Please rearrange the following from the most important to the least important.

AProfession/ education
BHobby
CPersonality
DAppearance
EGender
FCultural background
GFamily
HWealth
IConnections you have
J
K
Life experiences
Religion

This is a research I'm doing right now for an architecture course. That's why I chose to ask this question here as you guys/ladies genuinely experts in this field!

Thanks so much for your input! Feel free to comment and discuss!

Also I've been having difficulties in phrasing this question, so if you don't understand the question please let me know or suggest ways of rephrasing it thanks!!

·
Banned
2,266 Posts
Identities change over time, circumstances and environment. E.g. at home your identity could be your parents' honey, at work your identity is boss/staff, at a shop you become a customer etc.

AProfession/ education
BHobby
CPersonality
DAppearance
EGender
FCultural background
GFamily
HWealth
IConnections you have
JLife experiences

This is a research I'm doing right now for an architecture course. That's why I chose to ask this question here as you guys/ladies genuinely experts in this field!

Also I've been having difficulties in phrasing this question, so if you don't understand the question please let me know or suggest ways of rephrasing it thanks!!
doesn't this question matter based on the situation and person you are presenting yourself to?

I'd imagine the order of this list would drastically alter from, let's say your grandmother's POV of you to that of a prospective employer...

·
Registered
28,906 Posts
doesn't this question matter based on the situation and person you are presenting yourself to?

I'd imagine the order of this list would drastically alter from, let's say your grandmother's POV of you to that of a prospective employer...
Stop talking to other males and females. I am furious, I will leave. I will pack my megabytes and leave.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
lol at cultural background. I am, just like, this white guy..

I don't really value any of those things. Except maybe my appearance. I would probably put personality at the top though. I think I have a good one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C. Personality
A. Profession/Education
B. Hobby
J. Life experiences
F. Cultural background
G. Family
H. Wealth
I. Connections you have
E. Gender
D. Appearance

Interesting idea.
Thanks for the reply, forgot to add K Religion! Where would you put it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes, so I'm doing the survey in other places too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol at cultural background. I am, just like, this white guy..

I don't really value any of those things. Except maybe my appearance. I would probably put personality at the top though. I think I have a good one.
:shocked::bored:

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
:shocked::bored:

I could see how minority groups would more identify with their culture/race. But for me, it is something I don't think about it. Cuz I live in a world that doesn't really make me think about it. Like, if I am the only white guy at a rap concert or party, then yeah, I am gonna notice my whiteness. But in general, no. Whereas black people for example are often in the minority in many places. They are reminded of their race/culture more.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could see how minority groups would more identify with their culture/race. But for me, it is something I don't think about it. Cuz I live in a world that doesn't really make me think about it. Like, if I am the only white guy at a rap concert or party, then yeah, I am gonna notice my whiteness. But in general, no. Whereas black people for example are often in the minority in many places. They are reminded of their race/culture more.
Very true, thanks for your feedback!! If I go back to my own country people probably cant define "culture" either, most of them have never left the place, hard to be aware of it.

Though this forum is very international too. Have you encountered anything that have made you aware of your own culture and other people's culture when it comes to identity related topics?

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Very true, thanks for your feedback!! If I go back to my own country people probably cant define "culture" either, most of them have never left the place, hard to be aware of it.

Though this forum is very international too. Have you encountered anything that have made you aware of your own culture and other people's culture when it comes to identity related topics?

Yes. Like I have seen people on this forum come from places where being an atheist would be a scandal. I am not used to religion being important. I wasn't even aware the evolution vs creationism debate existed until college. So that kind of religiosity is foreign to me.

And another thing about black people particularly. They are a historically oppressed class and find solidarity in that. They all share a struggle. All black people are brothers and sisters. lol. I am not connected to other white people in any way.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Well I will just kind of put in order what I am pretty sure I must appear like to people off of this list. And how my identity off this list likely would be viewed.

C. Personality
I think to those who know me generally speaking anyways my character or personality which is over all pretty solid and grounded. Tend to for the most part be comfortable in my own skin and give people the benefit of the doubt.

G. Family
This is pretty obvious. My kids are top priority.
(I am not really counting like all my other family with that)
The only reason I put C. above is because tho my kids are #1, everyone who knows me knows that I do not put my identity in the typical roles. Ie I do not identify with caregiver, nurturer, mother just as an idnetity, those are apart of me, I embrace, but that is not simply me in its own identity.

A. Working (Profession/Education)
I find alot of value in working and study. I know I have workaholic tendency. I like working. I like career and education goals. I am not sure I would ever be stagnant in that area. Even if I succeed in one area or complete etc I seem to always want more. I think even if I won the lottery I would just be looking at ways to expand that in a business or work sense far more then that I would stop working or studying. Pretty sure most people who know me would know I likely put more value in a work identity then the average person. Even at the very bottom. I like starting somewhere new and learning a new trade and working my way up. I guess alot of drive in work identity.

B. Dating/Hook-Ups (Hobby)
I totally replaced this. Well I know I am definitely seen on my weekends off apart from kids as an active dater. (No my kids are not mixed up in any such lifestyle I separate the two). But yeah I definitely like dating. (Not to be confused with necessarily a relationship. I do not really care to have a relationship unless in love with right scenario which is few and far between.)

D. Appearance
50/50, honestly I can be vain but also down to earth. Tend to fall anywhere between consumed with image when I decide to care, to ball cap and sweats day to day. I am not even sure I have an in between area really. But yeah I would say when I care how I look I do care. I guess I make it a point to consider my nutrition, skin care, diet, activity levels, and a decent presentation on like matching etc. But I am certainly not someone who manicures themselves to go to the convenience store.

J. Experiences
Well put alot of stock in living life thru experiences. I like more calculated risks tho then I did younger (that was just leap). But yes even with age I still am the kind of person who would like to at least know I considered an idea whether be a romance or work gamble an at least dipped my toes in to test water. I have alot of life experience I would say and it tends to serve me well as a reference guide so yes put some value in that. I am pretty sure most who know me better tend to think I have wisdom of experience. And thru alot of failures even. There is something to be said for that. I had the philosophy of YOLO long before it was expression. I doubt I will have much to look back on and think I never took the chance or hesitated and missed the moment. (Lol well except with heights terrified of heights).

I. Connections I have
Well not sure if you meant chemistry within those who are important or in a networking sense.
I guess either way this would fall about here tho.

H. Wealth
Its not a priority above the other things I listed or a focus. But yes I prefer to have the pay off at some point for my endeavors.

E. Gender
Whatever I would say clearly I am female. Its really not something that directly defines me tho in my identity. Nor am I denying or fighting it. I would not say I embrace feminity nor fight it. I think most people who know me know I clean up fine and can be feminine but I do not put much stock in wraping my identity on that.
Added on to E. Sexuality Still same. I do not deny my sexuality but I also do not use it as a platform of my identity.

F. Culture
You would think it would mean more sense I am 2nd generation Italian, but I guess that side of the family really did not put much emphasis on culture and preserving it. Lol Nothing like what is portrayed on some mob movie or jersey shore depiction (I laugh at those depictions). Eh at christmas they eat lasagna lol. Oh yeah sometimes I say capiche, just like my father did as well. Look at me carry in traditions lol.

K. Religion
No no one would say I put stock in this in my identity. I am respectful of other peoples beliefs and relgions or anti relgions whatever but I tend to steer away from religion. Agnostic.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts

AProfession/ education
BHobby
CPersonality
DAppearance
EGender
FCultural background
GFamily
HWealth
IConnections you have
J
K
Life experiences
Religion

I try to give off the impression I am the perfect goody goody who can do no wrong. So I want people to think that. I think I do a very good job and its hard to try to keep up this perfect perception all the time but I do try. Recently I have started speaking better in order to sound more intelligent to others. While I am sure my speech problems are still painfully apperent, I at least structure phrases in a way which would make me sound more intelligent. I also now talk like a sales person might and I am overly specific when I talk.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I try to give off the impression I am the perfect goody goody who can do no wrong. So I want people to think that. I think I do a very good job and its hard to try to keep up this perfect perception all the time but I do try. Recently I have started speaking better in order to sound more intelligent to others. While I am sure my speech problems are still painfully apperent, I at least structure phrases in a way which would make me sound more intelligent. I also now talk like a sales person might and I am overly specific when I talk.
This is definitely hard to catergorise. How would you catergorise your situation in this case?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts