Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time ago I was here but I found this site again and would like to have your comment. Sorry if this is a bit long....

1) I always been quite a loner, but not asocial. I had few close friends growing up, and it's still like that. I have no problems speaking with people I know, I almost babble and can loose attention to what people say. That's not the case if I meet someone new, then I mostly listen and think about things alot before saying something, which might produce the feeling that I am distant or reserved. Which might be the case in the beginning of getting to know me. Usually I open up quite fast to people that I feel are "worthy" and people usually consider me as fun and easygoing, yet sharp. I HATE when people don't listen to me and I have to repeat myself.

2) I was mediocre to good in school, not the best student, part from when I was very young. I didn't like school really I think cause of the environment or something, I didn't feel really that I learnt something most of the time, why repeat something I read myself? But humanities has always interested me and languages is a big interest. I consider myself smart though, I am well-read and my friends usually say they are surprised I am as well-read as I am. I have a bit of a clown facade to my close friends which might be why, very funny and humourus with people I know. I don't like to be in the center of attention though.

3) I'm not religious, but spiritual you might say. Buddhism, baha'ii and janaism and such interests me, as well as norse mythology and nature religions. And I want to start with thai chi. Psychology, paranormal phenomenons, hypnosis and predictions are things that interest me. I like to read about these things.

4) My room, my desk and my brain is a mess. I am very spontaneous, flexible, hate deadlines and dislike authorities. I remember once when my very harsh boss during an internship in Spain didn't listen to me when I asked him 10 fucking times if I could leave 30 minutes earlier since my sister was coming with the bus and I was worried since Barcelona is a very dangerous town and my sister didn't travel anywherel before. I asked him if he ever listened to his employees 30 minutes before I was to quit, and slammed the door at him. The office was in total chock. The boss started to listen more to me after that.

5) When working in a group, I prefer to work in smaller groups, when holding presentations I prefer to do it to a smaller group. I had huge problems talking in front of people before practising at a sales course, now I am quite confident. In a group I am quite adaptable, but I need time to answer to direct questions related to the work such as "What do you think we should do with XXX?", I have no problem to "store" data in my brain and go back to a question that was asked 2 hours before in time. This is sometimes a problem when being social with friends. Suddenly, in the middle of a sentence, I can interrupt somebody and tell them "Now I know why XXX was XXX" 2 hours later.

6) My interests are things like writing, photography, languages, travelling, martial arts, internet, reading, gastronomy and music. I am a good writer and good with words, eg. I write beautiful poetry, I love to travel. I play some instruments, or well, I try to learn some, and I would like to learn how to draw. My clothing is very laidback, a bit bohemian. I have no problem with dressing odd, and my taste in eg. music is considered "odd" for my age. Eg. I listen alot to cool jazz etc. I have tried cannabis and smoke it on occasions. I like to have fun, but prefer intimate bars to fancy clubs, I HATE clubbing, the music, the superficial people and the pretentious attitude towards people that prevails there. I am a peace lover, and it's easy for me to see the good in humans, even if my pessimistic and sarcastic view on the world and mankind might label me as a big pessimist aswell. I love animals and the honesty and grace that they have, that humans will never undertake. At the moment I study foreign languages (English) at the online university, work extra with care taking sometimes, and write a travel guide for a backpacker's site.

7) I usually tend to check on various options or on how things might proceed, eg. I have a hard time choosing between two options if I know it will affect my life in some great way. I like to keep the doors open, if I would change my mind later on. I hate being "locked up" and I must have my flexibility and liberty.

·
Registered
473 Posts
"I always been quite a loner, but not asocial. I had few close friends growing up, and it's still like that."

--> I

"I didn't like school really I think cause of the environment or something, I didn't feel really that I learnt something most of the time, why repeat something I read myself? But humanities has always interested me and languages is a big interest."

--> N

"I HATE when people don't listen to me and I have to repeat myself."

--> T

"My room, my desk and my brain is a mess. I am very spontaneous, flexible, hate deadlines and dislike authorities."

--> P

INTP!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
INTP? Really, when I signed up I used to score INFP on the tests. Recently I scored ISFP sometimes. And now you write that I might be INTP/ENTP. Some things I disagree with me being INTP, some feels very accurate from the characteristics. Are they necessarily logicians and mathematics, as I see this being mentioned alot? I hate things such as maths, physics and logics.

What is the main different characters between INTP's and INFP's? And also with ENTP's and INTP's?

·
Banned
5,240 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I used to be an INFP when I first took this test about a year or so ago. I knew I have changed, and so i took it again recently, many times and many different tests and they all came down to ISTP. I can relate a lot to INTP so i thought that's what I was but I guess it's just because we have a lot of similarities.

I'm just going off the top of my head here, because I don't like to read too much mumbo-jumbo, I end up getting bored and switching to something else, so here's my thought from my observations:

INFP's would not be able to describe themselves as accurately as you did, I know when I was INFP I had no idea who I was or what I liked, very confused. Therefore, maybe somewhere along the road you developed your S and got more in touch with reality rather then living only in your head, in which case ISFP would make sense.
You don't have to be into math to be INTP. If you feel like you're always correcting people's grammar "in your head" or sometimes out loud, or get annoyed easily by other people's "stupidy" which is almost everyone you're around, if you rather have a logical explanation for things, or ideas rather then involve your feelings, then you might be INTP...

Think of this example:
You friend comes to you crying about her b/f breaking up with her. This has happened to her 3 times in the past, but she keeps going back to him. What's your first reaction and/or thought?

Do you:"tempt to give her a hug, feel for her, and tell her it will all be ok and things will work out"
OR : "you immediately become annoyed that she was so stupid to go back to him in the first place, but you're happy she came to you because you can offer her a logical explanation (again) for why she shouldn't go back and maybe this time she'll actually listen"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That description sounds like INXP to me. To determine that third letter, ask yourself whether or not you are more likely to consider logic/rationality (T) or people/feelings (F) when making decisions.

Also, take a look here at the cognitive functions and see which four describe you best: .
Thank you, I will read about that.

Violici said:
INFP's would not be able to describe themselves as accurately as you did, I know when I was INFP I had no idea who I was or what I liked, very confused. Therefore, maybe somewhere along the road you developed your S and got more in touch with reality rather then living only in your head, in which case ISFP would make sense.
You don't have to be into math to be INTP. If you feel like you're always correcting people's grammar "in your head" or sometimes out loud, or get annoyed easily by other people's "stupidy" which is almost everyone you're around, if you rather have a logical explanation for things, or ideas rather then involve your feelings, then you might be INTP...

Think of this example:
You friend comes to you crying about her b/f breaking up with her. This has happened to her 3 times in the past, but she keeps going back to him. What's your first reaction and/or thought?

Do you:"tempt to give her a hug, feel for her, and tell her it will all be ok and things will work out"
OR : "you immediately become annoyed that she was so stupid to go back to him in the first place, but you're happy she came to you because you can offer her a logical explanation (again) for why she shouldn't go back and maybe this time she'll actually listen"
Last few years, and even months, (I am in the exact middle of my twenties) I really got to know myself better, I am more confident in who I am and what I want, not saying I am confident or know what I want totally, just that I know it more/better than before. But this is probably a normal thing for my age.

In real life, or rather, when not writing about myself, I would never be able to tell someone this much about myself, well, after a while knowing me people would know this in some ways, but in eg. a job interview it is always hard for me to speak about myself part from trivial stuff like what I have done earlier and what my interests are. Questions such as "How do you work in a group?" and "What are your bad traits?" I usually think too long about. If this has something to do with anything.

For your example I would most probably (it feels like this is unlikely to ever happen to me somehow) prefer A) to B). I usually just listen to peoples problem instead of correcting them or trying to make them to change their decisions. Somehow people find it nice to speak with someone who just listens and says "mm-hm". But in your example I might be a bit schizophrenic and it might turn out to be a mix.

I made some enneagram tests and I scored nr 4 in all of them which is frequently called "The artist" or "The indvidualist". I think that type might correspond to INFP?

·
Registered
473 Posts
What is the main different characters between INTP's and INFP's? And also with ENTP's and INTP's?

INTPs and INFPs differ in the use of thinking of feeling functions. Thinking people (e.g. INTPs) tend to favor logic and facts, while Feeling people (e.g. INFPs) prefer to rely on their emotional states and give a high value to social expectations.

And also with ENTP's and INTP's?

ENTPs are extroverts while INTPs are introverts. Extroverts are focused on the external word, while introverts are focused on their internal world.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Because you have commented that you dislike authority I would say you are a Ti user (introverted logic) rather than Te user. This would rule out INFP and ISFP because these two types use FiTe in their decision making, not TiFe. Introverted logic is basically like sneaky lawyer logic, it says that rules are arbitrary not absolute and so is authority. In its best form it allows people to think independently. In its worst form it may actually lead people to disregard law and authority and be overly self-critical and hateful. Ti users also value personal competency a lot and from your comments is sounds like you're proud of being well-read and so on, you feel like you have to make a point out of this, this has value to you that other people consider you competent. Ti users judge themselves critically but the opposite function of Ti is Fe so they judge other people on moral factors rather than their competence (like how good of a friend someone has been to you).

So what what you have written I would say you are TiFe user with your Ti being higher than your Fe as well as a P which narrows it down to ESTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTP.
My guess would be ESTP or ENTP as extraversion doesn't mean that you have large social circle. It only means how often you need to interact with the outside environment, which may or may not include other people in it. In my experience T-types have decreased interest in people and relationships overall so extraverted T-types may actually have a small circle of friends as they are simply not that interested in extensive socializing, they may extravert in other ways like going out to store to buy components to then build yourself an infrared camera, or going rock climbing or sailing, but doing so completely alone without any company. Typically it is the F-type extraverts whose extraversion has to include people in it who fit the commonly acceptable definition of this term.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much are the tests online "worth"? I made this test: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes
Which I found in another forum and they considered it good. Scored INFP, once again.

I'm mostly confused now :)

Aren't eg. ESTP and INTP extremely different types? Still, all descriptions and characteristics written about all the types tend to exaggerate the positive sides and are too general, I feel that I can be any of the types when reading about them....

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I'm mostly confused now :)

Aren't eg. ESTP and INTP extremely different types? Still, all descriptions and characteristics written about all the types tend to exaggerate the positive sides and are too general, I feel that I can be any of the types when reading about them....
INTP and ESTP are not extremely different in that they use same set of judgement functions, TiFe, and Ne can sometimes look like Se especially in more extraverted INTPs. They do use different set of perceiving functions. INTPs use NeSi, ESTPs use SeNi.

ESTP: Se-Ti-Fe-Ni
ENTP: Ne-Ti-Fe-Si
INTP: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
ISTP: Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

You can read about functions in more detail to figure it out. Usually people can relate best to the descriptions of functions that they use most often:
ENFP Wiki
Function Attitude
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/28997-explaining-ti-fi-types.html

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, I have to read alot. Gaaah. I'm too lazy, I want everything made by others so I just know. (Maybe this is typical one or the other?).

Anyway, one of my friends, who I think is ISTJ, read the characteristics/descriptions of the types online and he thinks I am either ENTP or ENFP. Which makes me ENXP.

Now I am even more confused as I was sure I was IXXX not EXXX. Maybe I am though?

Wow, it's easy to classify your friends. In the gang with old high school-pupils (where this friends belong we are):

1 x me (Dan)
1 x ISTJ
1 x ENFJ
1 x INTP

It's harder when it comes down to myself though. :laughing:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Ah, I have to read alot. Gaaah. I'm too lazy, I want everything made by others so I just know. (Maybe this is typical one or the other?).
Yeah it's easier to just have someone tell you, but if you yourself don't understand the theory behind the four letter codes then what good is simply knowing them? Way I see it better spend a week or two reading up on the background of this stuff because then this knowledge becomes meaningful - the four letters in themselves don't mean anything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it's easier to just have someone tell you, but if you yourself don't understand the theory behind the four letter codes then what good is simply knowing them? Way I see it better spend a week or two reading up on the background of this stuff because then this knowledge becomes meaningful - the four letters in themselves don't mean anything.
I know you are right, but it's soo much..... And I was being a bit ironical. Which is another problem I have. People tend to take me overly seriously and I believe that they understood I was ironic, but usually this leads to problems in every day life. Eg. when I lived in Spain, I made a joke about me being half congolese, a white congolese (I don't know if this is something very common). Anyway my whole circle of friends and acquantanties started to believe I was congolese and asked me questions about Congo after a while.....
:laughing:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I know you are right, but it's soo much..... And I was being a bit ironical. Which is another problem I have. People tend to take me overly seriously and I believe that they understood I was ironic, but usually this leads to problems in every day life. Eg. when I lived in Spain, I made a joke about me being half congolese, a white congolese (I don't know if this is something very common). Anyway my whole circle of friends and acquantanties started to believe I was congolese and asked me questions about Congo after a while.....
:laughing:
Oh I got your ironic tone, but one of my goals for visiting this subforum is to get all of you MBTI-newbies to do at least some reading into the theory. And irony btw is such a Ti thing so that points more in favor of ENTP or ESTP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts