Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
self employed wedding/portrait photographer.

HATE the self-employed part (taxes, filing, paperwork, contracts, financial worries, etc), love the shooting part Not terribly fond of the people part, but I only have to be around them when I'm shooting them, so it balances out.

I'd rather be doing something a little more fast paced and hands-on (most of my time is spent in front of the computer)... so if I could do it over again, I'd consider a career in restaurants, emergency services, construction, something more physically demanding where time just flies and you never have to bring your work home with you.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Did a schoolish appreciative ship in the field of Computer Science and am now studying it. It's pretty boring and dry and I won't follow through.

As fun as programming is to me it's too draining on my head and I don't think I could ever do it for a living 8 hours a day without going postal eventually. I don't really feel exhausting myself for a living so I could easily settle for something simple, such as helpdesk work. Taking in calls in a company and be the maintenance guy kinda thing. Things are simple and somewhat social on a level it won't annoy me. I have very less incentive of climbing career ladders and this definitely isn't the type of thing with much of a rich future anyway.

Overall it probably depends on what you're good at and like in the first place, that said, the way it works for me is that I grow tired of things I became good at (by my definition) - so I for one don't see myself ever having a long term fulfilling job life.

Your choice will probably heavily dependent on education, country you're living in and whether or not you're interested in making a career in the first place. I for one don't care enough about money to ever live for work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a schoolish appreciative ship in the field of Computer Science and am now studying it. It's pretty boring and dry and I won't follow through.
Actually, I'm in that area of study as well and I am currently unsatisfied with the what its offering.
The reality is when I came to this website I was hoping for some good input or insight....thats about it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
used to work as a truck mechanic and loved it but after a work accident, i will never go back there. Currently, studying again to become a fusion engineer instead (non istp field, i know).

But id suggest giving some sort of hands on work a try. Doesnt have to be a dirty job, just something where you can do stuff and not just sit at a desk all the time. Life isnt just about the size of your paycheck

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm studying geology. I find that rocks make better companions than people.

currently, though, I am a recieving associate at the bon ton. basically, I help maintain the store that sells the most useless garbage on the planet to old fucks that have nothing better to do than look at overpriced clothes while listening to elevator music. Don't get a job, even part time, in retail...it's mind numbing.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm studying linguistics...I don't know how I'm going to turn into a career yet.

Reactions: AimfortheBrain

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I'm studying linguistics...I don't know how I'm going to turn into a career yet.
Isn't there like only like translations and/or interpreter anyway? Though success appears to be determined not only by how well you speak a language, but also by how many you speak. I wouldn't be too fond of the idea of having to learn 5(+) languages :mellow:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
That is one part of it. But there are many other fields of linguistics that I could choose that would not involve translation. I just haven't made up my mind yet!

Reactions: AimfortheBrain

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yacht delivery skipper and web developer - an odd combination but it allows adventure coupled with spending time with the my little girl. I love the sailing; the computer stuff not so much. I enjoy the problem solving element of it, but the 80 hours a week to compete plus all the crap chiagirl spelled out re being freelance. Looks like in January I'll be going to boatbuilding school for a year so that I can do something more hands on/ craft-oriented for the home portion of the work life. I desparately want to be at sea though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For some of the plusses…

You can make so much money that it no longer means anything to you. You can do what you want and noone can stop you. If you wan't to sleep in, you can. You can work from home, or not work at all, if you want. You're free to do what you want whenever you want.

For some of the minuses…

At any time you can go into a losing streak and lose all of your money. You spend most of your time alone and don't talk to anyone. All of the things you're afraid of, all of your character flaws, all of your suppressed memories will come to the surface and force you to deal with them. If you can't, you'll be obliterated psychologically and emotionally. Pretty much everyone except very close friends and immediate family members start liking you only for your money. You become unemployable because you have a giant gap on your resume and can't do anything else anymore. You don't want to get serious in a relationship because you have big equity swings and you don't want to put anyone through that. You lose your impulse control.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I stroke my peach fuzz girly mexistache and look pensive.

I'm a student...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm gunna be a high school teacher. (English + Psychology)
Career fail imminent. :p

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Warehouse Logistics/stowing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts