Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do INFJs truly rely on their heart rather than their mind when making decisions or not necessarily? My initial reaction will be based on my feelings rather than thoughts but my overall decision will be based on rational thinking. I will act on that but still have unexpressed feelings about the matter. My own moral values will only hint at the way I decide to act, but it would be seen as just 'my way'. It wouldn't be the head of whatever I was doing at all.... But I would be sad with not choosing the other way even if it disadvantaged me. Because I hear INFJs usually wouldn't.... but then again 80% of what I hear are stereotypes.

Sorry if this is confusing.....

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I hear you. My process is similar, to the point that I've identified as thinker rather than feeler for half my life. I wonder if it comes from our desire to be fair and ethical. We want to be fair to everybody and do what's right so we try not to make selfish decisions based on our own feelings, but to see things for what they are and make an impartial decision.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Do INFJs truly rely on their heart rather than their mind when making decisions or not necessarily? My initial reaction will be based on my feelings rather than thoughts but my overall decision will be based on rational thinking. I will act on that but still have unexpressed feelings about the matter. My own moral values will only hint at the way I decide to act, but it would be seen as just 'my way'. It wouldn't be the head of whatever I was doing at all.... But I would be sad with not choosing the other way even if it disadvantaged me. Because I hear INFJs usually wouldn't.... but then again 80% of what I hear are stereotypes.

Sorry if this is confusing.....
I use a combination of Ti and Ni when making decisions. A decision may seem like the right one from a logical perspective but my intuition has the final say. So, if there's a conflict between the two, Ni always rules. As for unexpressed feelings, how I feel about something is in the realm of Fi, which is way down the list of cognitive functions for INFJs. Therefore, I'm woefully out of touch with my feelings. It takes real effort to decipher what they are.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Ni and Ti are our introverted/internalized functions. It's how we make decisions, especially considering we're Ni dominant. Fe is what we use to bring forth those decisions to the rest of the world. It tells us the most likely ways people will react, which allows us to adjust our decisions along those lines. (Generally so our decisions are more acceptable towards others, but sometimes to be antagonistic on purpose.)

It's types that have Fi that will make decisions based on their "heart", because that's one of their internal/introverted functions. You could say that rather than go with our "heart", we're known to go with our "gut" instead. Ni/Ti brings forth a lot of hunches. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the introverted functions of the types are the decision making ones, while the extroverted functions mold those decisions so they can be brought forth.

An INFP, for example, might be talking to someone about a cause they happen to support. They'll support that cause because of Fi. Because their "heart" tells them to for whatever reason. But you'll see them explain the cause using Te. They'll point out facts if they have them, that sort of thing. It'll come out in a fairly logical manner.

Whereas myself, an INFJ, will come up with all sorts of logical reasons on the inside as to why I might be in support of the very same cause, but I'll be using Fe to explain to another person my support of it. It'll come out as more personal. Take a war, for instance. I might find out how much money, and lives, have been wasted on a war. But I won't necessarily list those facts when I explain my stance. I'll probably say things like "violence only begets more violence" or "an eye for an eye only results in two blind people" instead.

It's late and I'm kind of rambling, but I hope that makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts