Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm dbmorpher,
I've been into typology recently after a particularly emotional experience in hopes of understanding it better, but right now I am confused.
The main difference between introvert and extrovert are explained by where they get their "energy" from.
In order to find if I am an intp or an entp I really need to know what this is.
I assume extroverts don't go around collecting experience points from simply being around other people.
I am also assuming introverts don't replenish their mana levels by reading an article on the internet.
Does it essentially mean joy?
I find myself ecstatic while researching for a personal project such as a way to create a stable colony in the clouds of venus.
However I do like being around people if such people are kind, I.e. Not judging.
Heck, I've danced alone onstage in front of a few thousand people before to a poorly made volunteer effort of a beat. (Long story)

Anyways what I'm trying to get at is what is all this talk about energy about

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
E vs I

From the Jungian perspective:

energy = psychic energy or libido = interest. According to the dictionary interest, essentially = attention, concern, or curiosity.

From the MBTI perspective, they take this to mean feeling energized or drained, by frequent interactions with the outside world (interacting with people and action) or inner world (reflecting on thoughts, memories, feelings).

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
You are talking about the notion that extraverts gain energy by being surrounded by other people while introverts recharge when being alone, right?

It means what you think it means, which is that you can loosely talk of "mental energy" as being the capacity to perform mentally demanding tasks without getting too stressed or burnout to do it properly and healthy. An extravert can go to a party(read: external world for generality), talk and be more energized after they leave it due to all the excitement and joy they've accumulated. An introvert on the other hand can also be talkative and lively at a party, but tends to be more drained and needs relaxation or alone time when it is over.
The problem with this way of differentiating E and I is that in many cases (and as a general principle) it doesn't hold. Many extraverts do get exhausted from high levels of stimuli - especially if we are simply talking of socializing. ENPs are known for this. Where you get your energy from is thus a simplification, rule of thumb, and is (as everything in typology) more directing than confirming.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are talking about the notion that extraverts gain energy by being surrounded by other people while introverts recharge when being alone, right?

It means what you think it means, which is that you can loosely talk of "mental energy" as being the capacity to perform mentally demanding tasks without getting too stressed or burnout to do it properly and healthy. An extravert can go to a party(read: external world for generality), talk and be more energized after they leave it due to all the excitement and joy they've accumulated. An introvert on the other hand can also be talkative and lively at a party, but tends to be more drained and needs relaxation or alone time when it is over.
The problem with this way of differentiating E and I is that in many cases (and as a general principle) it doesn't hold. Many extraverts do get exhausted from high levels of stimuli - especially if we are simply talking of socializing. ENPs are known for this. Where you get your energy from is thus a simplification, rule of thumb, and is (as everything in typology) more directing than confirming.
I definitely agree. High levels of stimuli in terms of when the situation is purely social chatter.
I'm more readily equipped with discussing conceptual matters or simply just exploring ideas and visual content/inspirations in my alone time, something that interests me happens to be more energising than something I find boring.
And sometimes all it takes is a walk outside (basic interaction with people and/or nature), so that I can expend my energy in solitude (contemplation).

·
Registered
3,330 Posts

That's because that theoretically speaking, E can get energized forever by simply interacting with people and stimuli; however, people in real life only have a finite amount of energy.

My MBTI trainer explained it something like this:

An extravert wakes up with an empty coin purse. Each interaction with others, they get a coin. More monies!! Eventually that bag fills up and they also need alone time, albeit probably shorter amounts of it, to empty the purse.

An introvert, on the other hand, wakes up with a purse full of coins. He could have all the exact same interactions as the extravert, but he's giving all his coins away. I'm getting poorer by the person! When the bag is empty, he'll need time alone to put more coins in his bag.

The point that she was driving at was that Extraverts and Introverts can do all of the same things, but it has a different effect on them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that cleans things up a bit but I guess I'm an ambivert.
So the next question is: how should I mark myself intp or entp.
I'm thinking intp because this is the internet and I'm pretty much using Ti exclusively, also I can't outmatch another entp when it comes to debating (my parish priest).
It kinda sucks, whenever my Fe goes on a rampage I go into intro-mode.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I'm thinking intp because this is the internet and I'm pretty much using Ti exclusively, also I can't outmatch another entp when it comes to debating (my parish priest).
No no, pick the ENTP. That's cooler! :)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Does any of the following stand out to you?

E vs I

ENTP
INTP

What about from a stress-inducing perspective?

Stressors for ExtravertsStressors for Introverts
Working alone

Having to communicate mainly by e-mail

Lengthy work periods with no interruptions

Having to reflect before taking action

Having to focus in depth on one thing

Getting feedback in writing only
Working with others

Talking on the phone a lot

Interacting with others frequently

Having to act quickly without reflection

Too many concurrent tasks and demands

Getting a frequent verbal feedback

NOTE: Debate prowess is hardly a measure of type. Attitude =/= aptitude. (Attitude meaning preference for a function)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll through that definition I would definitely be an introvert. But introversion does not apply solely to a work or school environment. Most of my social interactions are dominated by Fe, however when that function is damaged or Ti is already working will it be concealed. So while this is a forum and it is a social interaction I tend to be more in tune with my Ti due to my response not needing to be timed. That is why I'm choosing intp, also because I am more comfortable with that side of me.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well it sounds like you've already made up your mind about being an INTP. Why question it? Why do you doubt that type? What makes you think you might be an ENTP?

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
18,722 Posts
Whether ENTP or INTP, you're an amazing bundle of contradictions looking for a purpose that is your own.

Not all ENTPs are debaters. I think we sometimes use debate to "try out" new ideas and see how they "stack up" against the thoughts of others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts